Why do EXTREME fixes seem to be the suggested go to on online forums?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that once on this forum for a while, you will see who can be a reliable source of help or info. Although no one is perfect and may get something wrong from time to time. It happens. But their are some solid folks on here with a ton of experience.

One also has to remember that there may be 5 correct ways to solve an issue. So you might see conflicting advise, that still achieves the same end goal. Bad Algae is a good example of that and I shall stay away from that topic lol.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does depend on the problem. However, when it comes to disease, I am an advocate for treatment (particularly if you are already implementing preventative measures like a UV or filter feeders). Even if you are a proponent of letting fish acquire some degree of immunity or die from parasitic infections, you still have potential secondary bacterial infections to deal with (bacterial infections following ick wiped out my tank a couple of years ago).

I think that people are scared by experiences like pests from live/cultured rock (aptasia, etc.) and disease (like I had), but sterile/low diversity can be a problem too. For instance, low diversity in gut microbiome has been associated with IBS-like symptoms and even cancer. There needs to be a balance, and there can be with low risk.

Algae can be dealt with nutrient management or (in my and my partner's case) replacing dry rock with cultured rock from the LFS. Aiptasia eating nudibranchs are beasts and work better than any chemical treatment/alternative that I had tried. Fish could undergo an observational QT and (like TSM if you have the technology) scrapings to determine whether they need treatment, rather than treating them with copper.

EDIT: We also need to take people's experiences into account with their recommendations. Someone who had to breakdown their tank may suggest a reboot, another may have tried a treatment which solved (or seemed to solve) their issue. There may also be a couple of ways to solve a problem, ranging from small actions to drastic measures, but they all accomplish the same goal.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but I'm far from a Master. These guys are Masters.

But give me 10 more years ;-) Not saying I wont get there :p
When you said these guys are masters, I know you weren't referring to me, LOL!!! I learn everyday, and their is a saying that I live by in reefing and everyday life...The more I learn the less I know. I will always be a student of the hobby, and will always learn something.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real thing to be careful of is dismissal in my opinion. There could be varying opinions on how something should be. 8 different people with 8 different methods could all be 100% right. Different ways work for different people and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Sometimes extreme measures are needed, sometimes not. Best to learn about all ways to clear up an issue and use your best judgment to find your own path.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't think likes matter though. I like every one of the @vetteguy53081 posts I come across. I do so in hopes one day I can go swimming in his tank. I also don't think people are trying to give bad information. For the most part people are just trying to help. I'm guilty of this too. I try and help when I can, sometimes others have better advice than I do. However my intentions are always good as I am sure is the case with others.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I also don't think likes matter though. I like every one of the @vetteguy53081 posts I come across. I do so in hopes one day I can go swimming in his tank. I also don't think people are trying to give bad information. For the most part people are just trying to help. I'm guilty of this too. I try and help when I can, sometimes others have better advice than I do. However my intentions are always good as I am sure is the case with others.
When that 1500g is set up, im splitting the airline ticket with you and taking Pics for r2r with you swimming !!! Then finish up swimming on the ocean in this toy with a couple of cold ones

regal-ambassador-c.png
regalboat1.jpg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, just feed your tank good organic food and everything will be fine... no need for anything else. NOT!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool beans. I get your point about the likes as well. It is really hard to actually use that as a single source of determining if something is actually correct.

At the end of the day, there has to be a ton of factors taken into account for determining if the advice given is valid. Which, sadly, is very hard to do on a platform like a forum. Tons of different opinions, tons of things that may have worked for someone else, etc., etc.

But as for the “rude tool”. That is also true, the person may be correct. The rudeness can just steer people away. Especially people that are new and just want help. Not some snarky comment that they are dumb or to new or made a horrible mistake and need to jump off a cliff for it.

A little kindness and understanding with a bit of stern reinforcement goes a long way and people may actually learn from a mistake that way. As opposed to feeling like crap and then just wanting to quit.

Either way, most are just trying to help someone, so at least that in a sense is commendable.
Incredibly hard to do on a forum, indeed. Especially if you’re new to it. Too many factors to take into consideration.

Usually when I have a question, I’ve always preferred to use the search bar first. Everywhere, not just here. Books have taught me a lot of what I know and I refer back to them often (yes some are still relevant). I don’t typically ask a question unless I couldn’t find the answer myself. I guess I don't understand the majority who trust anyone with extreme advice and have no desire to research before seeking help.

I have “liked” posts for many many reasons. Often it’s not because I think it’s the best advice of the thread. Likes mean nothing, really.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle

i think you have one of the strongest likes ratios on the site (per # of total posts)

that really is an indicator of quality writing and info. Your fraction is really inverted compared to most

that indicates strong writing traits in what you’ve left behind for people to read.
Could also indicate lots of “Welcome to r2r” posts....

(not in this case but in general)

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, anyone want to post someone with thousands of likes who doesn't know what they're doing? or consistently gives bad/extreme advice?

A lot of "this won't work, can't work, doesn't work, bad idea." meanwhile the people I see with most messages and likes seem to be the most helpful.

I have 10 examples in favor of good advice givers with high reaction scores.

Give me some of people with lots of messages and reactions giving bad advice? :)???

Just saying. (I'm talking at least 5K+)

I'm also not saying it's a "fix all"

But it helps.... again... the ultimate solution is getting newer reefers to just start researching and studying. No one's ever disputed that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey can I come? I got one of those. :cool:

Absolutely. I'll be in doral and using the canal to the Atlantic where the cruise ships head out and meeting up with some Miami area reefers for scuba/snorkel excursions.
Paul - Can you PM me where you keep your boat. . . If it is close to Miami- docking fee average ?
My boat is stored in Mirimar and its 90/month. Does that seem reasonable ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we logged a heck of a tank turnaround here using tap water rinsing on the sandbed, considered extreme for sure in all reefing circles.

its one of a gazillion. each year the marker for extreme gets moved way back, but the hesitation provides a nice snake oil filter so its good forums are naturally hesitant to literally all change. bottle bac has been skip cycling for about fifteen years now, and we're up to 20% acceptance in the hobby its possible in 2021, progress.

the way we know if its harsh or not is someone post a comparable tank turnaround doing something nice. ok go

MB_Fahrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Likes” don’t mean a dang thing to me ....

it mixes in “social status” as a substitute for actual knowledge...
just because you might be a rude tool doesn’t mean you can’t be right...
Likewise if you happen to be a hot member of the opposite sex seems to have a bearing on the number of replies (I’ll stand by this observation at risk of being PC negative)
then of course there is the ignor button which I never use but seems to empower some.
Same here. I'm not even sure why "likes" are on a forum in the first place. It seems silly to me. And it just shortens our interactions. Instead of replying to something I/someone has said, just hit the "like" button, or better yet, give a smiley face! Ugh.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, anyone want to post someone with thousands of likes who doesn't know what they're doing? or consistently gives bad/extreme advice?

A lot of "this won't work, can't work, doesn't work, bad idea." meanwhile the people I see with most messages and likes seem to be the most helpful.

I have 10 examples in favor of good advice givers with high reaction scores.

Give me some of people with lots of messages and reactions giving bad advice? :)???

Just saying. (I'm talking at least 5K+)

I'm also not saying it's a "fix all"

But it helps.... again... the ultimate solution is getting newer reefers to just start researching and studying. No one's ever disputed that.
No I’m not going to out someone with thousands of likes who is often objectively wrong, but they are out there. Instead I will post the correct information when I can, and if necessary provide evidence to support it... and/or just hit the ignore button, so I don’t feel compelled to argue with their well intentioned but totally wrong posts ;-)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I'm not even sure why "likes" are on a forum in the first place. It seems silly to me. And it just shortens our interactions. Instead of replying to something I/someone has said, just hit the "like" button, or better yet, give a smiley face! Ugh.

I actually love the "like". Makes it easy to express gratitude and appreciation for a post without taking the time to type out a response to each post that you enjoy seeing. Also keeps the thread clean if you don't have to read through a bunch of boot licking comments about how great each others comments are.

Now if I'm the OP on a thread and someone takes the time to directly address my question and give a nice detailed and helpful answer I will take the time to type out a thank you response. Aside from those instances....keep the like going!!

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll apologize for the post in advance if it makes you upset.
My question is why do I so often see extreme methods to fix things posted?
For example, someone could post a problem of having dinos, and without initial questions I see people telling them to cut their lights for a week and start dosing with peroxide, this has serious on the aquarium ecosystem...
Or a one fish in a display with ich and someone asks for help, and I see people actually suggesting to remove all the animals, potentially kill them with copper and then leave the tank empty for 86 days... this is incredibly extreme and chances are you'll kill more fish than if you just kept the tank healthy.
OR aiptasia, and people saying that the tank needs to be shut down and they need to be injected with peroxide, instead of suggesting a 100% viable natural method. Aiptasia isn't even a big deal... it can be controlled.. and eliminated.
Or worse... BOILING The rocks, whether they are boiled the right away or by literally boiling them... neither of these are necessary.
ALL of the above can be solved naturally with ease... it just requires patience. Some people get advice to add things and do things to their tank that makes it impossible to get ahead and have a successful tank.
I am shocked by some of the things I see by "experienced members"
Those of you suggesting it, would you remove all the animals from your home and have it bombed on the first sight of a cockroach?
Cause that seems similar to what you tell people to do with some very miniscule issues!

It is only frustrating because sometimes people over complicate this hobby for newcomers, scaring them into thinking they have something horrible that is really very normal.

Remember that feeling you got when you had a multiple choice test so you didn't really think you needed to study? You sat through class so the answers will be familiar enough! Right? Then you get the results back and oopsie you bombed most of it plus the lab section ...

Yeah, that's what people do online. They read and read the forum, collecting some interesting info here and there but they don't really catch all the important details, nor put it into practice themselves..Then, eventually, they stumble across a question they think they remember the answer to and since no one else has replied, they word vomit all over the thread with unpractical solutions.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back