What's the average reefers monthly budget?

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The average new car payment is $734 a month!!! Family and friends will look at me like I'm nuts when I drop hundreds, or even 1k+, on a nice coral. But these same people will pay well over $500 dollars a month for transportation. Personally, I decide not to have a car payment and I work a little extra in order to cover my hobby expensive. So I ask everyone if they have a monthly budget for the reef tank?

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but stay clear of Hanna Ca and Mg. They’re no good. Salifert is great for those and you only have to see when the drops turns the reagent to blue and then you read the number on your 1ml syringe and correspond it to their chart: it’s very good
Yeah I do use the salifert for Ca and mag. I don't mind those because your just looking for the color change rather than the No3 and Po4 where you have to try to match the color.

Upvote 0

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have a budget, and initially (which wasnt really all that long ago) we were trying to keep livestock purchases to $100 or less.

But I didn't want a mixed reef tank, 100g, with tiny little frags... So we've made several big purchases lately to "fill it out".

We're probably spending $1,000/mo right now. I've easily spent that this last week and a half with a couple livestock purchases from a member here, and 4 items from an online vendor.

When we stop "mass acquiring" things I suspect we'll spend $150/mo which will include electric.

Never thought I'd pay over $200 for one coral, but that ships already sailed too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pwfess

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have a budget, and initially (which wasnt really all that long ago) we were trying to keep livestock purchases to $100 or less.

But I didn't want a mixed reef tank, 100g, with tiny little frags... So we've made several big purchases lately to "fill it out".

We're probably spending $1,000/mo right now. I've easily spent that this last week and a half with a couple livestock purchases from a member here, and 4 items from an online vendor.

When we stop "mass acquiring" things I suspect we'll spend $150/mo which will include electric.

Never thought I'd pay over $200 for one coral, but that ships already sailed too
Yeah for sure. I never thought I'd pay 400-500 for a coral and then I did. Then I said "I'll never pay these 4 figure prices." And there I was buying a $1050 master scolymia...Very addicting. Especially with a little success

Upvote 0

Fenral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure. I never thought I'd pay 400-500 for a coral and then I did. Then I said "I'll never pay these 4 figure prices." And there I was buying a $1050 master scolymia...Very addicting. Especially with a little success
... Thankfully, Tidal Gardens does not often list things at such price ranges, or I'd be in trouble...

Upvote 0

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even answer my own question lol. I'm around $500 month. I def go over though when I'm adding new corals which is too often lol. I dont even look at electricity because with LED lights and low wattage equipment...I may be only adding 20 bucks a month for my 60 gallon display and 30 sump
My tank is a 56 gallon display with a 30 gallon display so very similar to yours. I also have a DC return pump and LED lights so I know my electrical usage is not bad. My tank is very stable and low maintenance anyway (2-3 5gallon water changes a year) so about my only expense most months is food. I feed flake, pellet and frozen daily but still not that much. Also my tank is pretty full so not a lot of room for more coral or fish.
20241016_104716.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pwfess

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 56 gallon display with a 30 gallon display so very similar to yours. I also have a DC return pump and LED lights so I know my electrical usage is not bad. My tank is very stable and low maintenance anyway (2-3 5gallon water changes a year) so about my only expense most months is food. I feed flake, pellet and frozen daily but still not that much. Also my tank is pretty full so not a lot of room for more coral or fish.
20241016_104716.jpg
I really like your display! Very pretty :). What fish do you have ?

Upvote 0

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your display! Very pretty :). What fish do you have ?
Thank you! I have a tomini tang, a coral beauty angel, an ocellaris clownfish, a royal gramma, a midas blenny, a yellow watchman goby and 2 masked gobies. I guess I really could fit a couple more fish, especially if they were a pair of bangaii cardinalfish. The tank is peaceful and healthy so I hate to rock the boat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pwfess

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have a tomini tang, a coral beauty angel, an ocellaris clownfish, a royal gramma, a midas blenny, a yellow watchman goby and 2 masked gobies. I guess I really could fit a couple more fish, especially if they were a pair of bangaii cardinalfish. The tank is peaceful and healthy so I hate to rock the boat.
Totally with you! I could fit more but my tank is pretty calm with the livestock. I really want a whitetail bristletooth but with my yellow tang it’s probably I bad idea

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The average new car payment is $734 a month!!! Family and friends will look at me like I'm nuts when I drop hundreds, or even 1k+, on a nice coral. But these same people will pay well over $500 dollars a month for transportation. Personally, I decide not to have a car payment and I work a little extra in order to cover my hobby expensive. So I ask everyone if they have a monthly budget for the reef tank?
I don't look

Upvote 0

Sylvester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people blow your budget on Starbucks. You’re doing great in the amazing hobby

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
costs.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I obtain items as needed. I dont set a budget

Upvote 0

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering I'm willing to pay $30 max for a frag, less if I can get it-
Currently monthly budget is $0.
I don't plan on buying more coral for a bit, and I have what I need to maintain the tank, even to expand to another tank if I do choose.

My one current tank I've paid $95 for and that's only on coral

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back