Long Distant Move Advise! - Aiptasia

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving long distance (Nebraska to Texas) next month. I have a 35gal reef tank. 2 clowns, a bengai cardinal, starfish, snails and some rather large coral on my live rock.
I also have Aiptasia on my live rock again! I had purchased a pile of nudies and everything cleared up for about 6-9 months and now they are reappearing.
I think the long move will be a challenge anyway, but really want thoughts on if this might be an opportunity to get rid of Aiptasia? If I removed corals from the rock could I let the rock dry out or boil it or peroxide or something to rid any Aiptasia from it? Or would there still possibly be Aiptasia in my coral? Could I dip coral and rock in coral dip maybe? Also what about sand? Could it be hiding in it as well? I have read so much conflicting info about how to handle sand and rock for the move. Any suggestions?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving long distance (Nebraska to Texas) next month. I have a 35gal reef tank. 2 clowns, a bengai cardinal, starfish, snails and some rather large coral on my live rock.
I also have Aiptasia on my live rock again! I had purchased a pile of nudies and everything cleared up for about 6-9 months and now they are reappearing.
I think the long move will be a challenge anyway, but really want thoughts on if this might be an opportunity to get rid of Aiptasia? If I removed corals from the rock could I let the rock dry out or boil it or peroxide or something to rid any Aiptasia from it? Or would there still possibly be Aiptasia in my coral? Could I dip coral and rock in coral dip maybe? Also what about sand? Could it be hiding in it as well? I have read so much conflicting info about how to handle sand and rock for the move. Any suggestions?
Don't boil it.

Bleach bath will kill it. You will need to restart bacteria colony though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't boil it.

Bleach bath will kill it. You will need to restart bacteria colony though.
Will I disturb the balance in the tank if I remove the coral from rocks and leave them in the tank, but move the rocks and bleach bathe them? How much can be removed without causing major issues?

Can I "cycle" my rock with the starter in a bucket until the move?

I will replace sand and thoroughly clean tank for move.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I disturb the balance in the tank if I remove the coral from rocks and leave them in the tank, but move the rocks and bleach bathe them? How much can be removed without causing major issues?

Can I "cycle" my rock with the starter in a bucket until the move?

I will replace sand and thoroughly clean tank for move.
Not knowing how much rock, does any of it not have aiptasia?
Perhaps do 30% now, 30% later? All depends I guess.
Or, you just keep at killing them.
I posted this not to long ago.

Thread 'How to kill aiptasia effectively' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-kill-aiptasia-effectively.1068383/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing how much rock, does any of it not have aiptasia?
Perhaps do 30% now, 30% later? All depends I guess.
Or, you just keep at killing them.
I posted this not to long ago.

Thread 'How to kill aiptasia effectively' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-kill-aiptasia-effectively.1068383/
I cannot say for certain. I have 2 rock formations (multiple rocks epoxied together). I have seen Aiptasia on both. I would really like to try to get rid of it all!

Would maybe putting my fish in a 10gal for the move, while I bleach bath the current system and recycle it, maybe work?

I'm just trying to find a solution that will work without killing off my fish and coral in the move as well. Unfortunately no way to have a tank set up at new location prior to the move to start cycling a tank there.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just sell the tank locally before the move.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say for certain. I have 2 rock formations (multiple rocks epoxied together). I have seen Aiptasia on both. I would really like to try to get rid of it all!

Would maybe putting my fish in a 10gal for the move, while I bleach bath the current system and recycle it, maybe work?

I'm just trying to find a solution that will work without killing off my fish and coral in the move as well. Unfortunately no way to have a tank set up at new location prior to the move to start cycling a tank there.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just sell the tank locally before the move.
Just have to keep ammonia out.
Maybe start to seed new rock now before the move?

IDK

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back