Moving, need advice.. tips

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ill be moving in 3 weeks, which the new house is only 13 minutes down the road.

My current set up is a 90 gallon, with a sump. Fish and corals. Tank been up and running for a little over two years. i have aragonite substrate and 100lbs ish of live rock.

i then have a 55 gallon thats been up maybe 3 months now. Aragonite substrate and 20ish pounds of live rock.

i also have a 10 gallon used as an observation QT tank and farming pods and asterina stars. i have aragaonite substrate with 5ish lbs of live rock. it been up around a month or so.

I have my own rodi system, 7 stage, with a 40 gallon brute, and 2x 30 gallon brutes.

So.... my 55 i will be downgrading to a 40 gallon corner tank. My thought is once closing, set the new corner tank up. Make my water (possinbly) add in some of the aragonite from the old tank and then the live rock. once water clears up, going to then drain the 55 and bring the fish over. Currently have a melanurua wrasse, fire fish and yellow watchmen as well as a chocolate chip star (which i am fully aware the 40 may be a little small for him).

First question... The aragonite is a few months old (3ish) in the 55gallon, Should i add fresh aragonite in the new 40 gallon or can i use some of the substrate from the 55?

My next step im thinking of... is then movind the 55 gallon there. making rodi and fliling the 55 up with fresh rodi water as well as my brutes... then making the move for the 90...

Currently in my 90 i have a yellow belly tank, fox face, 2x clowns, watchmen and shrimp pair, and a mandarin dragonette. then snails...

my biggest thing is not losing alot of my pods for my mandarin.

But drain water and move the live rock and corals (corals are newish and on plugs mostly), in a tote with water in it. then moving the live rock and corals into the 55 gallon at the new house (not going to worry about moving the lights onto the 55 casue not expecting to keep them in there long).

Then break down the 90 completely and trash the aragonite.

Now i plan on getting rid of some of the live rock.. i have quiet of few of flat pieces and dont like the look so getting rid of it.

but once i get the 90 moved to the new house, ill add new aragonite then fill with new fresh rodi water. then add in live rock and corals from the 55, let everything settle, then bring in the fish from the 55.

Should i also add in the flat rock im going to get rid of initally to help with the cycling? like just stack them up in a corner to remove later? dont have much room in the sump for it, but could keep a few pieces in the sump...

would my corals be ok a day or so with out a light? I coulddddd just set the light ontop the glass lid for the 55 and let it run that way... but the way i have the lights set up, is they are attached to a board that i screw to the back of the tank.... dont want to do that to the 55 as i am going to sell it.

How should i move the fish? 5 gallomg bucket ok? Then try and match temp and salinity as close as possible? Should i be expected to loose alot of my pods during the move?

How does all this sound? Any suggestions?

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i did recently purchase a 125 gallon tank, that i will be upgrading the 90 into. In the process of resealing the 125 and redoing the stand so it will be ready for moving day on 9/20.

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this recently and a few times before,I left the tank running till the last thing to move out of house then went back siphoned 40%of water into containers then had 2 vats 1 for coral and rock 1 for fish and added tank water into vats with some freshly mixed chucked sand,moved everything down and set new sand old water with new batch of water and rockwork back in put heaters in vats for fish and coral then started tank running once it had cleared up a bit added coral then fish never lost anything

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of bad waste in your sand bed that I wouldn’t risk stirring up new sand will be fine as all the good stuff from your rock will filter down, when you do it and nothings left in tank stir sand bed and look at the colour of remaining water and the smell

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back