so what's the deal with my purple tang and fire shrimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO.

STOP LISTENING TO THAT IDIOT LFS.
Start listening to the people in this thread, especially those who have the tag Fish Medic.
His LFS guy is a well respected fish expert that everyone in Diego highly recommends and other store owners refer people to him because of his expertise. (According to a prior post by the OP)
He’s going to do what his LFS guy tells him to because his LFS guy also told him not to listen to people on the internet (this means us).
I suggest he do exactly what the fish guru says to do. I mean, if I had that kind of resource near me I would never post on here. Ever.

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His LFS guy is a well respected fish expert that everyone in Diego highly recommends and other store owners refer people to him because of his expertise. (According to a prior post by the OP)
He’s going to do what his LFS guy tells him to because his LFS guy also told him not to listen to people on the internet (this means us).
I suggest he do exactly what the fish guru says to do. I mean, if I had that kind of resource near me I would never post on here. Ever.
lol!! your new aviator is awesome.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you call it prior to adopting the local parlance?
Always crptocaryon or crypt if I was talking to people who knew what I meant. For some reason, when people call it “crypto” it sets me on edge - and that was long before crypto currency was a thing (grin).

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my LS to talk to him about it, and I said I should give a poly medic by poly labs.
PolypLab Medic is a peroxide salt; it may help keep ich suppressed, but I would not expect it to cure it:
8) Try a proprietary "reef safe" marine ich medication. These rarely cure ich infections on their own,

Also - don't trust a salesperson who stands to make a profit by selling you something (even if they're running or working at reputable fish stores):
a piece of advice for both reef-keeping and life: take what anyone selling anything says with a massive grain of salt - especially when they're talking about their product.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG LFS told you this?

That is not reputable, that is a straight up face palm.

Never trust your LFS 100%.
Take everything they say with a grain of salt, and do research.

Also i would never listen to that LFS again, because thats a HORRIBLE advice to give someone.
Who tells a new person to buy a TANG to increase bioload for nutrients.

Thats like telling someone to buy a Shark, so they can get more current in the tank from it
well, I can't even discuss the issue because there is too much hostility in that thread I never did get an answer. Why a small tang is nearly a crime and a 42 gallon tank, but a larger tang proportionally five or six times the weight is OK and 100 gallon tank. No explanation there. Maybe that's where the hostility is coming from because there's no answer to that.

Yes, I probably have not always gotten the best advice at my LS, but at least they don't treat me like crap. OK you can say it's because they take my money. Fine. but they're still genuine human being good faith face-to-face interactions. And again to become hostile because someone doesn't follow directions from one or two posters or three posters, and there are thousands different opinions for the smallest little things, that is social media: "Fall in the herd or you're a troll." I'm not in the herd and notta troll.

also they said the first year is the hardest and I really have become a enamored by reef tanks and hopefully the year will pass and have made 1000 mistakes and have moved on. maybe part of it is me and my style of posting on forums. I had the same issue and the Astro photography forum for year or so. But I ended up being a very good astro photographer in spite of some posts against me I went through and through thru learning curve

IMG_6042.png

Last edited:

RockRash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I can't even discuss the issue because there is too much hostility in that thread I never did get an answer. Why a small tang is nearly a crime and a 42 gallon tank, but a larger tank proportionally five or six times the weight is OK and 100 gallon tank. No explanation there. Maybe that's where the hostility is coming from because there's no answer to that.

Yes, I probably have not always gotten the best advice at my LS, but at least they don't treat me like crap. OK you can say it's because they take my money. Fine. but they're still genuine human being good faith face-to-face interactions. And again to become hostile because someone doesn't follow directions from one or two posters or three posters, and there are thousands different opinions for the smallest little things, that is social media: "Fall in the herd or you're a troll." I'm not in the herd and notta troll.

also they said the first year is the hardest and I really have become a enamored by reef tanks and hopefully the year will pass and have made 1000 mistakes and have moved on. maybe part of it is me and my style of posting on forums. I had the same issue and the Astro photography forum for years or so. But I ended up being a very good astro photographer in spite of some posts against me I went through and through thru learning curve

Your question was answered, multiple times in at least 2 different threads. Tangs like to swim, sometimes in quick bursts across the tank. Your tank is 24" long that's only two feet of swimming room. A 40g breeder is 36 inches long 10 gallons less than your tank but still a better option to keep that fish. A purple tang needs at minimum 125 gallon 4' tank a 6' is even better. Think of it this way would you rather live in a 2x2x30 foot room or a 10x10x8? I didn't do the math to to make sure the square footage added up but you get the idea.

I dont believe your a troll... however that is a problem within itself. I just cant understand why you come here ask advice, dont follow the advice then get mad make condescending comments about how you know best then clame members here are bullies. You do you, I'm out of this one.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ich is from the stress of the tank size to be honest. Ive had two purples, they like space. But as for treating your tang I use ruby rally in my DT if I have a fish with ich (my blue hippo tang usually whenever he gets worked up by something) and it usually helps him. So if youre going to treat in the DT I would do that, never had an issue with ruby rally and its never hurt my inverts. If I were you I would treat and then rehome the tang.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, I come by and largemaking comments about my experiences and I'm sure there is some seeking information out there too. Great point about the tang and needing swimming room, except that would mean larger tangs need that much larger swimming room. I guess the strongest argument about it juvenal Tang it's not that should not be in the 42 gallon tank, is that the tank should be a peninsula . Again, if I could go back in time and not get the tang, I would do so, but, I have her and so I've got to deal with it. Gotta get her healthy and get her re homed. a qt may prove the perfect solution. It's just that in a few days I'm going out of town for several days so I will not be able to rev a good QT tank until after that.
I think if you were to call 95% of the retailers and vendors of tang, they would also say juvenile tangs are acceptable and 42 gallon tanks for a year or two. So there's a definite disconnect between the reef Internet culture and the retail industry standard.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ich is from the stress of the tank size to be honest. Ive had two purples, they like space. But as for treating your tang I use ruby rally in my DT if I have a fish with ich (my blue hippo tang usually whenever he gets worked up by something) and it usually helps him. So if youre going to treat in the DT I would do that, never had an issue with ruby rally and its never hurt my inverts. If I were you I would treat and then rehome the tang.
ruby rally?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ruby rally?
Yes this stuff is what I use. I cant go fallow in the big tank so I treat it when I see it with this stuff. Works and Ive not lost a fish to Ich in the DT while using it!

Attachments

• IMG_5714.png
    IMG_5714.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 25

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, I come by and largemaking comments about my experiences and I'm sure there is some seeking information out there too. Great point about the tang and needing swimming room, except that would mean larger tangs need that much larger swimming room. I guess the strongest argument about it juvenal Tang it's not that should not be in the 42 gallon tank, is that the tank should be a peninsula . Again, if I could go back in time and not get the tang, I would do so, but, I have her and so I've got to deal with it. Gotta get her healthy and get her re homed. a qt may prove the perfect solution. It's just that in a few days I'm going out of town for several days so I will not be able to rev a good QT tank until after that.
I think if you were to call 95% of the retailers and vendors of tang, they would also say juvenile tangs are acceptable and 42 gallon tanks for a year or two. So there's a definite disconnect between the reef Internet culture and the retail industry standard.
I’m going to say again, it’s about the tank dimensions not the gallons of water. You were provided with an excellent and detailed article that explains how the measurements are done by a published fish expert. Did you read it? Many of the ppl on the board are part of the retail industry.
I am to the point that it’s not about the tang anymore. You have hypothesized it’s your posting style. I am going to hypothesize that your posting style directly corresponds to your attitude. For you benefit, you should stick to the advice of one source. That takes care of your problem with disseminating too much information. You should go with the source you trust most, which in your case is you LFS. Do exactly what they tell you, when they tell you and stop asking for advice from forums.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also have explained that your tank is not a typical 42 gallon, it’s misleading when explaining to others because they assume it’s a standard rectangular 36” tank. You have a 24” wide tank, it’s essentially a 20g in swimming space.

These companies make attractive cubes and advertise the gallons, but a cubes layout is less swimming space than a rectangular tank. We made the tank taller and narrower and get more gallons in less space! Great. Helps nothing.

Adult purple tangs need a minimum of a 6 foot tank, this gives them more room for swimming space. Your juvi tang can go from one wall to the opposite wall in literally less than a second if it wanted / needed to. An adult tang in a 6’ tank would have the space to swim fast for a few seconds before reaching the other side

Now the difference between the two scenarios - in one the fish can do what it wants, and in the other it can’t. This leads to stress, laziness, depression, and when those happen, the immune system weakens and it succumbs to illness that healthy fish easily avoid and fight off.

The products in your google results don’t work by the way. I know this may be hard to accept, but the industry is FLOODED with products that simply don’t work. Test strips and kits that are not accurate. Supplements that say they do xyz and they don’t. Medicines that don’t help. It’s a crazy thing that these products continue to be on the market, but there isn’t any regulation. And your LFS will gladly sell them all day long.

You can listen to bad advice and fail, you can buy false claim products and fail, or you can follow advice of experienced people on the forum and succeed. We are here to help. But over and over you are told what to do, what not to do, and then you do something opposite, or you get defensive and argue, and say you weren’t told, or you listened to people we told you not to listen to.

You said you had low phosphate issue. I told you low phosphates weren’t a cause of your problem. I posted pics of my historical test results documenting my low phosphates and I don’t have your issues. I offered alternate suggestions.

I also told you the LFS is a business and they will sell you whatever they can and that the advice they are giving you is horrible.

What do you do. You get talked into buying a tang to fix the nonissue phosphate results and come back here saying the LFS sold it to you and it’s going to fix everything. Then we tell you it’s a bad idea and you agree and say you’ll return it. But you didn’t return it. And now it’s sick and you deny it

How are we supposed to react to this? Do you want to be coddled like a child or talked to like an adult?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, of course, but you can still understand the quandary I'm faced in with factually when my LS owner really doesn't need my money that much. He's got a large store maybe hundreds of people going in there every day and he's telling me a small juvenile Tabg will be fine in my tank for ( 2 LFS owners) juxtaposed to here, very opposed to the concept. You can imagine that a new refer would be a little confused. I understand the dimensions. I understand the article. article it was written by PhD ? what sample size studies that use etc. etc. ? but all I can do is tell you what my experience was with my LGS and most LFS are telling people that juvenile tangs are OK in 42cubish style tanks maybe not all not telling people this that but I think many many are. I'm not arguing here. I want to rehome the tang. I was really never comfortable with in it in the first place. it was a bad decision for me to get it given so many other choices , but here I am. I just guys are fooling yourself. I think my tank is too small for my tang. I shouldn't have it. But I think you folks are fooling yourself to think that you're adult is so much better off in your larger tanks. The adult tangs are proportionally so much larger.

edit
edit what do you think the weight proportionally is of a juvenile tang compared to an adult thing? I imagine that if is twice in length is at least four times in weight , don't know but proportionally it seems very suspect that Tangs in general based on what I'm being told here about my juvenile tang that adults should be in any smaller than like I don't know 250 gallons. my Tang is I'm thinking 3 inches long. So what happens when a tank gets 8 inches? I don't know maybe it's five or six times the weight? I hope you guys got a big tank too. real real big.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, of course, but you can still understand the quandary I'm faced in with factually when my LS owner really doesn't need my money that much. He's got a large store maybe hundreds of people going in there every day and he's telling me a small juvenile Tabg will be fine in my tank for ( 2 LFS owners) juxtaposed to here, very opposed to the concept. You can imagine that a new refer would be a little confused. I understand the dimensions. I understand the article. article it was written by PhD ? what sample size studies that use etc. etc. ? but all I can do is tell you what my experience was with my LGS and most LFS are telling people that juvenile tangs are OK in 42cubish style tanks maybe not all not telling people this that but I think many many are. I'm not arguing here. I want to rehome the tang. I was really never comfortable with in it in the first place. it was a bad decision for me to get it given so many other choices , but here I am. I just guys are fooling yourself. I think my tank is too small for my tang. I shouldn't have it. But I think you folks are fooling yourself to think that you're adult is so much better off in your larger tanks. The adult tangs are proportionally so much larger.

edit
edit what do you think the weight proportionally is of a juvenile tang compared to an adult thing? I imagine that if is twice in length is at least four times in weight , don't know but proportionally it seems very suspect that Tangs in general based on what I'm being told here about my juvenile tang that adults should be in any smaller than like I don't know 250 gallons. my Tang is I'm thinking 3 inches long. So what happens when a tank gets 8 inches? I don't know maybe it's five or six times the weight? I hope you guys got a big tank too. real real big.
Brilliant again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back