so what's the deal with my purple tang and fire shrimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry many people here care about the life forms we keep. You didn't even acknowledge the fish covered in ich. You just wanted to know why the poor fish was trying to get the shrimp to clean it. It's because it's miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DK, it is eating when I'm giving him in food the bucket. How do I know if it's got ick? I know I shouldn't have a purple tank in my tank, but he is isolated and eating.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DK, it is eating when I'm giving him in food the bucket. How do I know if it's got ick? I know I shouldn't have a purple tank in my tank, but he is isolated and eating.
That fish will die without proper treatment along with the other fish in your tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes, sorry about the situation. Hopefully someone in your area can help the fish. It's not impossible in the hands of someone with experience

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I know if it's got ick?
Have you done any research at all before starting the hobby? If so you may want to step back and do some more. Ich is one of the most common diseases we have to deal with and anyone starting in this hobby should be aware of it and how to try to avoid it and treat when it does occur. Now your aware of it and hopefully you'll learn from this.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all you guys are gonna do is just criticize . I watch my take like a hawk I noticed the shrimp issue you guys posted it could be ick and I immediately isolated him. but even today in the silly little isolation bucket he's eating fine.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post clear, white light pics of the little guy

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all you guys are gonna do is just criticize . I watch my take like a hawk I noticed the shrimp issue you guys posted it could be ick and I immediately isolated him. but even today in the silly little isolation bucket he's eating fine.
We tried advising you beforehand, that fell on deaf ears

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is a progressive disease. Starts with a few spots and fish eating fine. Then gradually more spots develop and fish stop eating, suffer and die. This will eventually happen to all your fish but some with better mucus coats will survive longer before they die too.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great first lesson, don’t automatically trust an LFS.

The internet is a tough place to go to sometimes.

But it’ll teach you something.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry many people here care about the life forms we keep. You didn't even acknowledge the fish covered in ich. You just wanted to know why the poor fish was trying to get the shrimp to clean it. It's because it's miserable.
Happy Fun GIF by TRT

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first off, lets watch the language all.
Secondly, not all fish will eventually die from ICK, i've had this crap on my fish in the past, several times, and did not loose any fish, so saying its a given fact that the OP is gonna loose all their fish, well, you can't just throw that out there as a fact, because its not a fact.

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you got your answer to the post. All I’m going to add is confirmation that fire shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse and probably others will clean fish. It’s up to the fish to allow it of course.

I have a foxface that visits my fire shrimp on the regular. All of my fish have been through qt by my own methods or purchased qt through fish hotel. I do not quarantine corals though. Every now and then I’ll see what looks like a spot or two of ich on a tang or something but it’s gone after a couple of days. I feed them a ton and they have all been in the system for a couple of years or more.
IMG_4117.jpeg

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you got your answer to the post. All I’m going to add is confirmation that fire shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse and probably others will clean fish. It’s up to the fish to allow it of course.

I have a foxface that visits my fire shrimp on the regular. All of my fish have been through qt by my own methods or purchased qt through fish hotel. I do not quarantine corals though. Every now and then I’ll see what looks like a spot or two of ich on a tang or something but it’s gone after a couple of days. I feed them a ton and they have all been in the system for a couple of years or more.
IMG_4117.jpeg
Do you think you would get the same results if you put that foxface in 30 something gallon tank?

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first off, lets watch the language all.
Secondly, not all fish will eventually die from ICK, i've had this crap on my fish in the past, several times, and did not loose any fish, so saying its a given fact that the OP is gonna loose all their fish, well, you can't just throw that out there as a fact, because its not a fact.
I bet shamu who was crammed into the nano tank finds this uplifting. This OP was advised well in advance not to do this with this fish, yet he does it anyway. I WANT MY REEF AND I WANT IT NOW... he chose not to put the well being of the animals as a top priority and there is absolutely no excuse for that and now he tries to blame the LFS when dozens of people here told him not to do it. Yes, very experienced reefers with well established systems can handle minor ich situations in their tank because their fish are healthy and strong with capable immune systems as you mention with your feeding. I highly doubt this is applicable to the OP situation as a new reefer. It's just a fish to him but the rest of us who are passionate about the hobby think our aquatic friends deserve the bast possible care we can provide.

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you would get the same results if you put that foxdace in 30 something gallon tank?
Definitely not. All my post was for was to inform the op that some shrimp and fish will “clean” other fish.

Research on the life we buy and put into our tanks and care is very important and not often done unfortunately.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go @Ballyhoo , @Reefing Madness supports your efforts and encourages your technique. Ignore everything that you didn't want to hear and keep on keeping on. Just post pics everyday of this fish suffering and dying. That would be a good representation of this site!

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm not the most popular among many of you here and that's fine but for the sake of the fish, let's try to just have a civil discussion. I am learning this is a learning curve. I am new at this. Maybe I made some assumptions that were wrong and I took information from multiple sources. but for the life of me, I cannot find any spots on thispurple tang. Obviously, I would only put her in the vessel for like one minute max and it's hard to tell because the vessel well I should've cleaned it before I put them in, but I saw NO spots on this purple tang and he's eating fine in this vessel. there is one weird circular dot that's just from the glass.

IMG_6022.jpeg IMG_6021.jpeg IMG_6020.jpeg IMG_6019.jpeg IMG_6018.jpeg IMG_6017.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can clean the vessel again, so there's no visual obstructions and putting her back for another viewing. But she's eating fine and so are all of my other fish and I find no dots on any of them.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm Ther absolutely no dots on this fish today. Could it have been gravel that was seen in the picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back