My Nassarius snail just ate my brand new Fire Shrimp ALIVE!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a Bait Shop, and buy Some Cheap Live Glass Shrimp, sometimes called Grass Shrimp. Put them in the Aquarium, and see if you have a Predator. BTW, I always put my Shrimp in a Floating Breeder Box, after a two hour accumulation drip. They always seem to molt, right after adding to a new aquarium, and are vulnerable, since they haven’t had a chance to scope out a hiding place. After a three days from their molt, I release them. Don’t forget to feed them while isolated.

rstaten11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m wondering too…

image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000002.jpeg
It’s a zombie snail

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally possible! My leopard snail ate a few months ago my fire shrimp alive! Same stuff, fire shrinp was in the tank for months, very healthy. All of a sudden half of the fire shrimp body was inside the snail mouth. I took the snail and I tried to extract half of the shrimp body that was still spasming.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally possible! My leopard snail ate a few months ago my fire shrimp alive! Same stuff, fire shrinp was in the tank for months, very healthy. All of a sudden half of the fire shrimp body was inside the snail mouth. I took the snail and I tried to extract half of the shrimp body that was still spasming.
Out of curiosity, any pics of your snail?

I know a few different critters with that common name, including a couple of Babylonia species, which - similar to Nassarius snails - aren't really predatory (i.e. they can't take down a healthy, live prey), but would be highly opportunistically predatory.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back