Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow absolutely do not stick a needle into the silicone, I would demand a new solution, I cannot believe people continue buying these

I tried to fix it, with the needles, it didn't go well. Now there are needle marks and it didn't fill the hole. Kept putting silicone in the hole and never seem to fill the hole. Used about a 1/4 of a standard tube size. The area is still there and still visible but not fixed.

What other solution would you recommend?

I haven't responded to them yet, about the "fix".
20220919_174849.jpg
20220919_175013.jpg
20220921_155415.jpg

This is a not a good fix...:expressionless-face::loudly-crying-face::zipper-mouth-face::smirking-face:

BRS

Jared Bryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I purchased the RedSea S-850 a few months ago. Low and behold, the silicone developed a bubble on the front edge.
View attachment 2831851View attachment 2831853

I have been working with RedSea about the issue and they said it was NOT in a structural part of the tank. They sent me a "kit" to fix it. I haven't fixed it yet. The kit included several needles and a needle attachment to the silicone tubes, that I had to purchase. I did the research and finally purchased what I think is the best silicone on the market. I am still a little nervous of doing the repair myself.

What I am worried about; they said it wasn't in the area that was structural to the tank, but I am worried about other "bubbles" showing up in area that are NOT visible that are structural. Considering this is 200+ gallons of water sitting in my house that may go pop.

This tank is only 4 months old, FYI
That is embarrassing to ask a customer to do this to a tank in their home. Embarrassing.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to fix it, with the needles, it didn't go well. Now there are needle marks and it didn't fill the hole. Kept putting silicone in the hole and never seem to fill the hole. Used about a 1/4 of a standard tube size. The area is still there and still visible but not fixed.

I haven't responded to them yet, about the "fix".View attachment 2836096View attachment 2836097View attachment 2836098
This is a not a good fix...:expressionless-face::loudly-crying-face::zipper-mouth-face::smirking-face:

And now you ruined the warranty

mckinney0171

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven't responded to them yet, about the "fix".View attachment 2836096View attachment 2836097View attachment 2836098
Wow what a joke. I can’t believe a company could be this clueless. Asking someone to poke into their silicone.

Av8tor2

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is embarrassing to ask a customer to do this to a tank in their home. Embarrassing.
Somewhat, I do have to say RS did try to find a company to come out and try this, but I live in a "city" that the nearest RS dealer is about 200 to 250 miles away.

And now you ruined the warranty
This was at the direction of RS so the warranty is still good. I asked them and the answer to that question was yes, the warranty would still be on the tank for other issues.

Wow what a joke. I can’t believe a company could be this clueless. Asking someone to poke into their silicone.
Agree.

Going to contact RS in the morning and see what else they want to try or get them to replace it. Will need several of the brute trash cans to save the water... if it gets replaced. :anguished-face:

Jared Bryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat, I do have to say RS did try to find a company to come out and try this, but I live in a "city" that the nearest RS dealer is about 200 to 250 miles away.

This was at the direction of RS so the warranty is still good. I asked them and the answer to that question was yes, the warranty would still be on the tank for other issues.

Agree.

Going to contact RS in the morning and see what else they want to try or get them to replace it. Will need several of the brute trash cans to save the water... if it gets replaced. :anguished-face:
Maybe have some on hand for the "just in case" moment too. I have 3 stacked in my garage.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jDoSe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wait you actually tried to fix it with needles?!?
Bro…that’ll just make it worse. The poster before you warned you not to try…

They’ll say or get you to do anything not to cover their warranty.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to fail. Especially after your field surgery. We get a fair number of inquiries from hobbyists in your situation and every one of them ends up with a leaker. You should start the draining/relocation now before it gets worse. When the tank is empty, place it on its back and remove the front panel. Clean up everything and reinstall (you tube it of course). Glass tanks are low tech and forgiving. This will take time and you will need a friend to help you but you will be fine.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jDoSe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised they told you to do it yourself…no way i’d trust myself to do this.

If they want it done, they should do it themselves so they can’t blame me for doing it improperly…Get someone who actually knows what they are doing and has done it hundreds of times…

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised they told you to do it yourself…no way i’d trust myself to do this.

If they want it done, they should do it themselves so they can’t blame me for doing it improperly…Get someone who actually knows what they are doing and has done it hundreds of times…
OP does not have many options. Once he acupunctured his tank, any warranty claim is void.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Blue Cheese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hopefully you win the fight and then sell the tank for your troubles

Lawpoke87

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI….I had a complete seam failure on my Peninsula 650 a little over two weeks ago. Tank was manufactured in 2019 and purchased January 2020. Contacted Red Sea and sent pics of the failed seam. A new tank, stand and sump arrived at my house in 14 days. Red Sea covered all the replacement costs including shipping. Not happy about the 160g of water on the floor but very satisfied by the customer service.

mckinney0171

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI….I had a complete seam failure on my Peninsula 650 a little over two weeks ago. Tank was manufactured in 2019 and purchased January 2020. Contacted Red Sea and sent pics of the failed seam. A new tank, stand and sump arrived at my house in 14 days. Red Sea covered all the replacement costs including shipping. Not happy about the 160g of water on the floor but very satisfied by the customer service.
If I had 160 gallons of water on the floor I’d be looking for a new wife instead of a new tank. Glad to hear they took care of ya though.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had 160g of salt water hit my floor, I am out of the hobby indefinitely according to my wife.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man you Red Sea people are crazy! You are going to set up another one after the damage it has already caused? I just can’t understand.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree.

Wrong. You absolutely voided any warranty.

Av8tor2

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you Red Sea people are crazy! You are going to set up another one after the damage it has already caused? I just can’t understand.
If I could do it over, which will happen next year; I'll be buying a CADE 2100.
Wrong. You absolutely voided any warranty.
They are replacing it under warranty. I think it got lost in the internet, I was directed by RedSea to try and repair it with the items they sent me. I was willing to work with them. I do feel better that it will be replaced. But not looking forward to swapping the out the tank, etc.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back