OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just apply the clamps every time you leave town..?
If it's Red Sea, you know clamps come with the territory. I'm not gonna go for a warrantee replacement from them. It's just asking for another failure in 1-4 years. I'll keep my current setup and replace the tank with something that WILL hold water.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes no sense to me. People shouldn't buy them NEW based on the imminent failure.
I just feel sorry for those who don't know and buy them used. I see them all of the time on offer up and Craig's List. I rarely see any other rimless tanks for sell. I believe these are people who find out about the failures and sell them as a precaution. I maybe wrong, but that's the way I see it.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cranie

Could you get by with a 48x20x20?

I got a connection with CurrentUSA and can get forum members:

83 g rimless tank
48x20x20
Low iron glass on 3 sides, rear painted black
Ext ghost overflow
Herbie drain
26g custom glass sump
9g slide out acrylic Gravity ato
Overbuilt stand - handmade by cabinet maker in Cali, marine grade plywood and not particle board crap, whole thing skinned inside and out in marine grade waterproof laminate
4 vertical, full length, load bearing supports (most companies use 2-3)

Plumbing kit precut
Shipping to your driveway
1600$
E690BA93-7806-4B63-B10B-A16788A9FE3F.jpeg
25E76D0F-795E-43AA-AC0A-C0679B220971.jpeg
CC9D4D5A-A804-477B-9BB3-14DA53A3C18E.jpeg
AD0F26C4-C2FA-427C-B3EE-C5F4841E6E0B.jpeg
5F228AC3-33F2-4137-BA00-66609AEC4001.jpeg
A8F9D57B-C978-48EB-B70A-2F42CC4E9E45.jpeg
9B9D4711-57D9-46EE-A838-ED7152C050A2.jpeg
3C32AEB3-E17D-444E-B715-FED5B7200264.jpeg
4F618233-2BB0-4522-A7CB-0A51735F13BD.jpeg
FF58EB7A-20FE-47F2-9A08-FE12A18CEB15.jpeg
F73C871E-36BE-4F71-9ECB-E46C4590C7C2.jpeg
64DBE613-9BCA-4102-83D6-F8FD0C6CF2D2.jpeg
do these ship anywhere in the US for that price? I may be interested

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel sorry for those who don't know and buy them used. I see them all of the time on offer up and Craig's List. I rarely see any other rimless tanks for sell. I believe these are people who find out about the failures and sell them as a precaution. I maybe wrong, but that's the way I see it.
I think you're more right than you think.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
do these ship anywhere in the US for that price? I may be interested
48 states. If you are close to cali they can sometimes offer a discount because shipping is less. If you are able to pickup yourself from their cali warehouse they take several hundred off

alanr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago I emailed Red Sea about the tell tale signs I had of impending seal failure. I was assured with

"Your current aquarium is a "V3A" model which already has the numerous structural updates in G2 such as thicker glass, extra fortified seams and reinforced cabinet. The only differences are the red pipes and ReefMat-ready sump.

The vertical seal is protected by a ~1/4" plastic strip, and it is the outside edge of the strip that has been damaged according to the pictures and we do not see any issue with the seal itself.

We recommend monitoring the area for any expansion into the seal itself. We also suggest taking great care when cleaning the glass near the silicone to try and prevent any further damage.
I am able to see some peeling at the edge of the seam protector but I do not see any issues with the seam itself. If you look at the front corners of the aquairum (on the inside of the tank) there are protective strips in place to protect the seam where the 2 pieces of glass actually meet.
The area effected should not cause any issues. Out of an abundance of caution, we do suggest monitoring the area and reaching back out if you notice any changes"

Well..an hour ago I hear the sound of water. But not the normal sound. I looked back and there it was..pouring out the right seal onto the floor. I grabbed a bucket and could see it slowly spreading down. I luckily had a HUGE clamp and put it on to secure the front corner to the back. The leaking has stopped but...now what?

I replied to that one year old email with a video and update. It is NOT a question of if on these tanks. Only when. I've got thousands in coral and fish in a room holding recording studio gear. All completely avoidable and unnecessary.

Yup, similar experience. Emailed RedSea with a seal failure in a 425XL, they pretty much gave me a credit towards a new tank. The tank was 3 years old. Hardly old considering their price range. Also they use super flimsy plastic pipes that crack at the slightest tug. Overall build quality 4/10

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, similar experience. Emailed RedSea with a seal failure in a 425XL, they pretty much gave me a credit towards a new tank. The tank was 3 years old. Hardly old considering their price range. Also they use super flimsy plastic pipes that crack at the slightest tug. Overall build quality 4/10
Don't forget the wonky UK threads. It was loads of fun trying to connect my sump to it.

Jasonak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these reports enough to make me wonder how there still selling tanks. Is the issue a faulty sealant or combo of that and being rimless? I have a 20 year old 120 gallon tank with no issues but it does have a rim. Its shocking to me that in this is a thing.

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these reports enough to make me wonder how there still selling tanks. Is the issue a faulty sealant or combo of that and being rimless? I have a 20 year old 120 gallon tank with no issues but it does have a rim. Its shocking to me that in this is a thing.
Well I think it's a perfect storm. Rimless, no bracing, and sealant breaking down over time. For 88G tank the weight shifting around is 734 lbs for just the water. Silicone alone isn't going to last and they should know better. I'm kinda shocked there hasn't been a class action by now with all the failures.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the RedSea troubles. I have a 525 G2. Only time will tell whether the G2 tanks will also be plagued with failure issues . . .
My 250 G2 had to be replaced after 16 months, developed a pinhole leak in the rear corner…

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s a red sea thing. Wrong adhesive, or not enough, or not applying properly. Something is wrong. The first generation ones there was also an issue with the stands- I forget what it was but they contributed.

The issue almost all the time is the front seam. Pressure distributes everywhere equally, but for some reason it’s almost always the front panel that has the failure

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's Red Sea, you know clamps come with the territory. I'm not gonna go for a warrantee replacement from them. It's just asking for another failure in 1-4 years. I'll keep my current setup and replace the tank with something that WILL hold water.
I was just about to ask this. I will be traveling in a few weeks and my little Red Sea reefer 170 has some definite signs of seam failure. Doesn’t look to be spreading but I’ve ordered some clamps just in case. I’ll be clamping it before I go on vacation now.

I plan to go with a cade 900 reef in a few months so hoping that the clamps will work until then.

-Matt

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a red sea thing. Wrong adhesive, or not enough, or not applying properly. Something is wrong. The first generation ones there was also an issue with the stands- I forget what it was but they contributed.

The issue almost all the time is the front seam. Pressure distributes everywhere equally, but for some reason it’s almost always the front panel that has the failure
Iv heard, no proof, power heads on the back of the tank exert pressure on the front glass possible cause of failure

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well my local who's a RS dealer said they are replacing failed tanks. Being I emailed a year ago and was told "it's all good" and still have that full conversation email, they will have to replace it. The tank is 3 years old now.

They don’t HAVE to do anything. They have proven that.

Sorry to see this thread yet again. RS are scumbags still selling these. And people keep buying them which blows me away.

I don’t see a problem.

Red Sea sells tanks that need to be clamped

Innovative Marine forces you to buy their stand which flexes and wobbles and needs to be reinforced.

Seems like standard corner cutting business practice here

The stand on my IM seems to be sturdy. But I don’t understand the design. The front and side bars don’t touch the tank. Just the corners and the center supports. It’s a weird design. But I feel as if they used insanely thick glass and seams. My 50 lagoon uses 10mm glass. I’ve seen similar tanks in 6-8mm.

I was just about to ask this. I will be traveling in a few weeks and my little Red Sea reefer 170 has some definite signs of seam failure. Doesn’t look to be spreading but I’ve ordered some clamps just in case. I’ll be clamping it before I go on vacation now.

I plan to go with a cade 900 reef in a few months so hoping that the clamps will work until then.

-Matt

I wouldn’t advise that. You’ll add stress when you take them off. You are likely to cause a failure when removing them.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t HAVE to do anything. They have proven that.

Sorry to see this thread yet again. RS are scumbags still selling these. And people keep buying them which blows me away.

The stand on my IM seems to be sturdy. But I don’t understand the design. The front and side bars don’t touch the tank. Just the corners and the center supports. It’s a weird design. But I feel as if they used insanely thick glass and seams. My 50 lagoon uses 10mm glass. I’ve seen similar tanks in 6-8mm.

I wouldn’t advise that. You’ll add stress when you take them off. You are likely to cause a failure when removing them.

10-4. Guess I’ll just wait to see if the spots begin to grow and then only clamp them if I plan to leave them clamped for good (until the cade can arrive and be setup)?

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
10-4. Guess I’ll just wait to see if the spots begin to grow and then only clamp them if I plan to leave them clamped for good (until the cade can arrive and be setup)?

That is what I would do. Be vigilant about watching them. Maybe apply packing tape to help pull panes together. Especially if you are replacing the tank soon.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back