ANOTHER Red Sea Reefer Max Failure

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen both versions fail. But I believe the acrylic had more issues.
Drop off tanks are insanely bad ideas.

Any time an interior angle is cut into glass or acrylic, the failure rate drastically increases. Moreover, of the two "bottoms" are not EXACTLY matches to their respective depths, them one side of the other is going to be carrying more of the load than it should, putting even more stress on the seams and the interior corner.

if the stand is not fully rigid, then torsion effects will impart tremendous forces on the seams and interior corner, etc.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Drop off tanks are insanely bad ideas.

Any time an interior angle is cut into glass or acrylic, the failure rate drastically increases. Moreover, of the two "bottoms" are not EXACTLY matches to their respective depths, them one side of the other is going to be carrying more of the load than it should, putting even more stress on the seams and the interior corner.

if the stand is not fully rigid, then torsion effects will impart tremendous forces on the seams and interior corner, etc.

Their failure rates are EXTREMELY low. I don't think they carry the risk you think they do.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their failure rates are EXTREMELY low. I don't think they carry the risk you think they do.
I don’t know how we would be able to quantify the failure rates, but given the design mechanics, would be statistically higher than a rectangular tank of the same volume or footprint (higher volume).

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter… not that they matter.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway here's a close up of the aluminum stand supported premium redsea line. See how the tank is fully supported by the aluminum/metal strip. There's no floating front glass.

If they thought that even the smallest premium line ie S400 and S550 needed the full floating glass supported, why didn't they do something similar for the normal reefer G2 line

1723736585313.png

1723736651912.png

It looks like the larger G2 models have that aluminum support rail across the front now. Have seen it in some photos of member tanks.

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new G2+ system is setup. The sides of this one are 1/4 thicker than the front and back (prior was all equal thickness). Will this remedy the seal failure? No. I will baby the edges and mark time...for now. Of course with the move over my Neptune gear is now all failing. This hobby just keeps on giving.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thicker sides means more surface area for joint contact, an implicit admission that the prior system was lacking joint strength.

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thicker sides means more surface area for joint contact, an implicit admission that the prior system was lacking joint strength.
Oh based on their quick full replacement they know. Will this remedy the design flaw? No. The stand isn't braced and the front glass is still "floating".

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! Do you mind uploading a pic of the Serial Number label? Or Pm me? We’re discussing Gen 2 seam fails in a local club with an LFS owner who has contact with a Red Sea rep. Apparently the Red Sea rep says there is no documented seam fails for G2 tanks, which I know isn’t true due to all the posts I’ve seen.

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Do you mind uploading a pic of the Serial Number label? Or Pm me? We’re discussing Gen 2 seam fails in a local club with an LFS owner who has contact with a Red Sea rep. Apparently the Red Sea rep says there is no documented seam fails for G2 tanks, which I know isn’t true due to all the posts I’ve seen.

Sent

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back