ANOTHER Red Sea Reefer Max Failure

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A used Red Sea is going to have a lot of scratches on the glass. Mine scratches when I look at it sideways

If that doesn't bother one, buying cheap used Red Sea tanks would be a source of glass

Scratched glass bothers me more than it should. And I don't have any confidence that I could silicone a tank better than Red Sea can

Same. Mine has alot of scratches despite me being very careful. It’s such an annoying thing for me.

Red Sea says my tank is out of warranty and I’m SOL.

Cade 900 reef will be my next one. Just waiting on a potential job opportunity (will require me to move several states away) before I pull the trigger.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
good for their customer service i suppose…
sending you an entirely new system is really the only move they had to make.

plus, this also gives you an opportunity to completely rescape to your liking with your existing and future corals in mind.
eliminating dead spots, etc…

just gotta look at the positives

Well..Red Sea support replied back. They are sending an ENTIRE G2+ setup, zero cost to me. It'll be here Thursday. I can't complain about that. Just need to know how it'll be different from this tank.

segue

all 3 of my tanks are from @Innovative Marine
as anyone heard of any horror stories with their larger systems,
let’s say 75+ gallons?

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good for their customer service i suppose…
sending you an entirely new system is really the only move they had to make.

plus, this also gives you an opportunity to completely rescape to your liking with your existing and future corals in mind.
eliminating dead spots, etc…

just gotta look at the positives

segue

all 3 of my tanks are from @Innovative Marine
as anyone heard of any horror stories with their larger systems,
let’s say 75+ gallons?
yeah I'll be interested to know of failures with the innovative marine tanks 75 gallons and up range

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what about giving away slabs of not cracked glass from the tank?
There is nothing that says your vehicle is not an approved point of disposal. OR you're taking it to the landfill for me. What am I gonna ask you for pictures?

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fall River, I just cut glass, but u can have a glass place cut some for u
I found that because of the aquarium being rimless it weakens the silicone at the top , and the pressure soon or later will push through
Dude. New Bedford. Did you just cut glass into 90's? How is it attached?

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh very soft glass then. Btw I haven't notice this on the red sea tanks I have seen at several LFS. Will take a closer look at the glass.
Mine has a few scratches. Sand gets caught on the Flipper Max and it's a done deal.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh very soft glass then. Btw I haven't notice this on the red sea tanks I have seen at several LFS. Will take a closer look at the glass.

My G1 Red Sea also scratched very easy, but my IM and seaphora were pristine.

I think the G1 is just a garbage tank, including the glass. It’s just a turd wrapped in a shiny exterior so they could charge high prices. Never had a G2 so can’t comment on the updates.

OP
OP
Cranie

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My G1 Red Sea also scratched very easy, but my IM and seaphora were pristine.

I think the G1 is just a garbage tank, including the glass. It’s just a turd wrapped in a shiny exterior so they could charge high prices. Never had a G2 so can’t comment on the updates.
Mine is supposedly a G2 before they changed the name.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well..Red Sea support replied back. They are sending an ENTIRE G2+ setup, zero cost to me. It'll be here Thursday. I can't complain about that. Just need to know how it'll be different from this tank.

It will likely leak more spectacularly.

2019 for mine. It hasn’t let go yet, but seams are showing signs of failure. It’s a Red Sea 170 so it appears that it’ll be a slower but eventual blow out.

It will let go unfortunately. Sorry to see they declined it. What is their warranty? Ask your credit card company for help. My Amex would help.

yeah I'll be interested to know of failures with the innovative marine tanks 75 gallons and up range

Zero that I know off. A few of their small drop offs have had failures but that was considered a test tank.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely leak more spectacularly.

It will let go unfortunately. Sorry to see they declined it. What is their warranty? Ask your credit card company for help. My Amex would help.

Zero that I know off. A few of their small drop offs have had failures but that was considered a test tank.

The glass or acrylic drop off?

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember something about that way back when they first started making big tanks, pre 2010

I don't think they have the market share, and tanks in homes with water at the same numbers as Red Sea for a viable comparison to be made

Aren't IM tanks known for being short. I don't think the have the same height as Red Sea tanks, in general. Short tanks are just less likely to leak, everything else being equal

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember something about that way back when they first started making big tanks, pre 2010

I don't think they have the market share, and tanks in homes with water at the same numbers as Red Sea for a viable comparison to be made

Aren't IM tanks known for being short. I don't think the have the same height as Red Sea tanks, in general. Short tanks are just less likely to leak, everything else being equal

The 100 gallon+ have 20 to 22 inch height.

Now come to think of it, I have seen really old(7+ years) innovative marine tanks (200 gallon version) at a lfs but all redsea show tanks at various other lfs are mostly new and changed out every 2-3 years.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Boo! Why?

Because I hated it lol. It couldn’t be a good mixed reef due to flow issues. I wasn’t going to add a bunch of power heads. I also didn’t like the small sand areas.

I have a nice screen top for it if you want it. One of the top lids ones. PM me if you do.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway here's a close up of the aluminum stand supported premium redsea line. See how the tank is fully supported by the aluminum/metal strip. There's no floating front glass.

If they thought that even the smallest premium line ie S400 and S550 needed the full floating glass supported, why didn't they do something similar for the normal reefer G2 line

1723736585313.png

1723736651912.png

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I hated it lol. It couldn’t be a good mixed reef due to flow issues. I wasn’t going to add a bunch of power heads. I also didn’t like the small sand areas.

I have a nice screen top for it if you want it. One of the top lids ones. PM me if you do.

Ya, I could see that being an issue. I'll PM ya

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back