Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS S500 and I grabbed it used. Not sure how long the previous owner had it running but Im coming up on a year. So far zero problems and if something were to happen at least its in the garage so there wont be any house damage

ti_lavender

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see if anyone has any insight here. I got a used RS peninsula 500 tank, stand, sump, and plumbing. Everything seems in good condition just needs a good cleaning to remove calcium and critter build up. My concern is the stand. I’ve read the posts on this thread about seam failures and I’m concerned the stand has a significant part in the failure. The stand feels too much like an ikea bookshelf. Has anyone reinforced their existing p500 stand? If so, how?

Or is it worth it for the piece of mind to get an aluminum stand made? Or should I resell and get a different brand?

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a big fan of plywood stands using double or triple layers of plywood.

not sure what red sea brand uses but have seen some commercially built stands that cant even get wet what kind of sense is that? aluminum is going to cost the most ,unless way overbuilt will eventually sag, i would say its better for a light fixture than a stand, if you want metal just use some steel angle iron.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

mach1mike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what kinda of damage was done to your subfloor
There wasn't any damage to the floor, thankfully - under the wood was a thin later of underlayment that was taped together over a concrete slab. The only reason the wood wasn't ruined is because I was standing right there when it happened. I'll say, it took every type of towel including washcloths in my house, every sheet, blanket and half my clothes in my closet to soak the water up. I was literally taking blankets off the beds. I had soaked laundry all over my front and back yard. But, was able to get all of the water up quickly. The leak happened at midnight but the next morning I rented a heavy duty dehumidifier from Home Depot for a day and was able to get the little that made it underneath the wood... that much laundry, and that heavy of loads burnt my washing machine up, but that's way cheaper than a new floor at least. But yeah, almost any other scenario the floor would have been toast, and surprised it wasn't anyway.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back