Zebra Eel not eating?!

bkaudio11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone I’m new to reef2reef! One of the newest additions to one of my aquariums was a Zebra eel that I got from the liveaquaria divers den. There is a porcupine puffer, dogface puffer, bird wrasse, sailfin tang, Foxface rabbit fish, and a snowflake moray in the 150 gallon tank. There are no issues as far as aggressive behavior but it’s been close to 2 months and my zebra eel has only eaten one small piece of fresh shrimp. A month I wouldn’t worry it going on 2 I’m getting concerned. I’ve also tried clams, and silversides. Are they any foods that I should try or should I just keep trying those foods?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone I’m new to reef2reef! One of the newest additions to one of my aquariums was a Zebra eel that I got from the liveaquaria divers den. There is a porcupine puffer, dogface puffer, bird wrasse, sailfin tang, Foxface rabbit fish, and a snowflake moray in the 150 gallon tank. There are no issues as far as aggressive behavior but it’s been close to 2 months and my zebra eel has only eaten one small piece of fresh shrimp. A month I wouldn’t worry it going on 2 I’m getting concerned. I’ve also tried clams, and silversides. Are they any foods that I should try or should I just keep trying those foods?
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I'm not a fish medic, but if your eel refuses to eat, it means that it is not comfortable in its current state and/or environment, and something is likely stressing it out, whether that'd be an issue with acclimation, shock, disease, or a few other things that I probably don't even know of. I can't give you any solutions unfortunately. :( But is something to take in account. I wish you and your aquarium all the best.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is this a new tank and if not, how long running?
What is your nitrate level and how are you testing it?
Is the eel breathing heavy?
The relationship with other occupants is that they are all messy housekeepers and filtration and lower nitrate for them is important.
Can you post a pic and even video of tank under white light intensity?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site!

As for your eel, there are some reasons on why your eel might not be eating, when the eel eats his first food that is a indication that they are ready to start eating, but if it still doesn't, there is a clear indication of something that is wrong.

Some of the problems you might be having could be:
Agression: i mainly suspect the puffers, but this is least likely depending upon the size of the eel, though i would say that if your eel does sustain injuries because of its tankmates that will be another reason

Seasonal: i don't have any specific evidence or a scientific theory, but I've seen 4 of my eels suddenly going into a hungerstrike simultaneously in monsoon season

Size of the eel: bigger eels eat more less, younger/juveniles eat more frequently, incase yours is a juvenile, something indeed might be wrong.

Internal parasites or flukes: if you take any eel, i always recommend you treat them with general cure (mixture of metronidazole and praziquantel) for 2 weeks, I had treated my zebra the same way and 6 months running he has never gone into a hungerstrike, one of my other eels i didn't treat with GC had gone into a number of hungerstrikes which has stopped after the recent treatment, eels aren't safe from internal parasites or flukes, there is no known way to find if a eel has worms or not besides a microscope, but in my opinion it's always better to treat just incase

Some of the foods I recommend you to try are:
Shrimp: (whole shell and head, I've yet to see a zebra refusing a shrimp)
Clams: (not their favourite but if eating will take it, not a worry if they don't take it since I've seen some eels refusing them)

Crab: (they absolutely love it and will devour it, don't feed the hard shell but the more softer one inside, it's a bit of a finicky process to deshell a crab but your eel will love it)

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back