Sudden Zooanthid brown jelly

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what's going on? This is the first time I've ever seen this. I have dozens of Zoanthid colonies and this is the only one being affected. It's been progressing since yesterday. Yesterday I tried an iodine and revive coral dip. It clearly didn't work. :(. Whatever this is, it's not like the brown jelly in LPS corals which is external, this is something causing them to melt from the inside out as far as I can tell. When I hit them with the turkey baster, nothing really comes off, whereas with BJD on LPS, it would all come off.

For the time being, I've isolated the colony in QT and am treating with Ciprofloxacin, clove oil, and iodine.

Photos:

FE444CBD-21B6-4198-A81B-4B25F034FEB8.jpeg

1D1668D0-44FD-4003-A008-9E504429533F.jpeg
30F51E26-55FF-47EC-BA37-D29A58F2F204.jpeg
B355177D-A043-4F1B-A07F-1232118B5FA0.jpeg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Upvote 1

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced this is bacterial vs a nasty algae. Can you get a swab under a microscope?
I agree I know I have had some diatoms that seem to attack soft corals like leathers. Happens most often to bright green nepthea and sinularia in my experience. Can take out whole healthy colonies in just a day or 2.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be some nasty film algae. Do a 10 second dip 1:1 ratio H2O2:H2O and brush gently with a toothbrush. Hopefully it’s problem solved as medications will not kill algae
I just tried this, I hope it works. However, they’re definitely dying from the inside out. Even ones that look healthy when I gently spray them with the turkey baster, the heads will come off like they’ve been decapitated from the inside. I’ve never seen anything like this, and I’ve been in the hobby on and off for 30 years. :(

Upvote 0

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried this, I hope it works. However, they’re definitely dying from the inside out. Even ones that look healthy when I gently spray them with the turkey baster, the heads will come off like they’ve been decapitated from the inside. I’ve never seen anything like this, and I’ve been in the hobby on and off for 30 years. :(
Wow that really sucks. Zoas are melting for some reason. Did you switch salts/additives/lighting recently? Sometimes even little things like trace element shifts can cause them to melt away like that. Best I can tell you is frag healthy looking polyps off the colony and try to put them in a different system (friend’s tank, LFS, a different tank you own) as a last resort Hail Mary. You could also do a large (at least 25% but better 50%) to see if that helps at all

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had an ATO snafu that resulted in too much freshwater, I was wondering if that might have been it. I have another entirely separate system, I’ll try to frag them into. Currently they are still in QT.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had an ATO snafu that resulted in too much freshwater, I was wondering if that might have been it. I have another entirely separate system, I’ll try to frag them into. Currently they are still in QT.
I wouldn't currently add them to any system you have other corals.. You have no idea what this is or how easily it will spread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they got their course of antibiotic treatment, and then, when moved back into the display, they all came back to life. I could’ve sworn most of them were going to die or were already dead. I have no idea what happened.

IMG_0286.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Looks to be the start of zoa Pox which has an appearance of the zoa being attacked with pimples and will have dots either white or yellow and will cause the zoa polyps to close up or melt and also is contagious to other zoa but not paly in your tank. It is often caused by lack of maintenance, leading to a bacterial or fungal infection and even protozoan. Tissue loss begins which have the appearance of zoas melting.
Years ago, best treatment was Furan-2 which is impossible to find but can be replaced with nitrofurazone and possibly kanamyacin. Assuming its pox, iodine dip may slow it down

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be the start of zoa Pox which has an appearance of the zoa being attacked with pimples and will have dots either white or yellow and will cause the zoa polyps to close up or melt and also is contagious to other zoa but not paly in your tank. It is often caused by lack of maintenance, leading to a bacterial or fungal infection and even protozoan. Tissue loss begins which have the appearance of zoas melting.
Years ago, best treatment was Furan-2 which is impossible to find but can be replaced with nitrofurazone and possibly kanamyacin. Assuming its pox, iodine dip may slow it down
Furan-2 is Nitrofurazone if I'm not mistaken. I can source virtually any pharmaceutical so it's not an issue.

That being said, I don't know what this was, and I don't think anything I did assisted in the recovery. It only affected these particular zoos (all of them, no matter where they were in the tank). But they've almost come back now. No other zoas were the least bit affected, and I have dozens of types and dozens of colonies.

Btw, I don't know what 'name' they are, I don't get into all that fad name stuff, and I think that's mostly an American thing anyway...

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back