Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone can afford a $900 potters angel or $400 purple tang.

The potters is $900 cuz of the difficulty and its new and limited amount, they need the money from the $900 fish to fund the $40 fish and fund new breeding efforts. If you don’t have the expensive fish to cover the cost of the cheaper ones, then you have to raise the price on the cheaper ones to cover the costs.

Also the Cuban basslet was thousands of dollars but captive breeding brought it down to $600.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone can afford a $900 potters angel or $400 purple tang.
Then don’t buy them.

I have a 60b full of small aqucultured fish and many aquacultured coral, it’s not hard to go this route, and not more expensive than most other hobbies.

It’s super rewarding to have all my little cb fish. I’d love a potters but not having one doesn’t affect my enjoyment at all.

The real challenge is staying motivated and staying in love with your reef over a longer period of time.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers don’t want a tank full of clowns
Did you do any research before this? Most almost all commonly kept fish are aquacultured, and they are not very expensive, sure some aquacultured fish are expensive but same goes for almost anything, its just basic supply & demand. Those that are wild caught are also NOT endangered.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want your cake and to eat it too. Cheap livestock without talking it from the ocean, sounds like a oxymoron to me. This isn't a frugal hobby. You want innovation, that takes money.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potters is $900 cuz of the difficulty and its new and limited amount, they need the money from the $900 fish to fund the $40 fish and fund new breeding efforts. If you don’t have the expensive fish to cover the cost of the cheaper ones, then you have to raise the price on the cheaper ones to cover the costs.
I’m not arguing their efforts and I totally understand what has to go into fish breeding, but to someone new to the hobby that’s discouraging.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want your cake and to eat it too. Cheap livestock without talking it from the ocean, sounds like an oxymoron to me. This isn't a frugal hobby. You want innovation, that takes money.
Well said!

You Rock Kimmy Schmidt GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not arguing their efforts and I totally understand what has to go into fish breeding, but to someone new to the hobby that’s discouraging.

Someone new to the hobby doesn’t need a potters angel. They are more sensitive anyways. There are many gobies, clowns, royal gramma, the coral beauty, etc.

Even the wild caught potters wasn’t a new to the hobby fish…

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do any research before this? Most almost all commonly kept fish are aquacultured, and they are not very expensive, sure some aquacultured fish are expensive but same goes for almost anything, its just basic supply & demand. Those that are wild caught are also NOT endangered.
There is no “research” that needs to be done. Common fish are not what most reefers get excited over, of course everyone’s taste is different but I find it hard to compare a yellow tang to a clown fish. I never said the fish were endangered I was referring to the coral we keep.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally I have some corals but I like to keep fish more. I love caring for them and watching them thrive. I like to think that Im giving them a good life with consistent feedings and good food so they can be fat happy fish. I look at it like when I adopt shelter dogs. I love to take in fish that need a home, lots of my fish are rescue fish!

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone new to the hobby doesn’t need a potters angel. They are more sensitive anyways. There are many gobies, clowns, royal gramma, the coral beauty, etc.

Even the wild caught potters wasn’t a new to the hobby fish…
It’s just an example of the many Aqua culture fish out there that may be out of budget for some of us.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no “research” that needs to be done. Common fish are not what most reefers get excited over, of course everyone’s taste is different but I find it hard to compare a yellow tang to a clown fish. I never said the fish were endangered I was referring to the coral we keep.
That's an even weaker argument the corals we keep are mostly cultivated at aquafarms in Indonesia and other coastal countries. We frag corals constantly which are then circulated throughout the hobby.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just an example of the many Aqua culture fish out there that may be out of budget for some of us.

Yes and there are wild caught fish that are out of the budget for people too. So they pick what is in the budget. For some people that may mean a tomini tang instead of a gem tang.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what it looks like when a company is innovating. High prices and scarcity.

You don’t have a right to cheap fish.

Also - I find all of my cb fish interesting. If you don’t, I do question what your motivations are. Is it animal husbandry or is it the spectacle?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The world has many out of budget hobbies for many people. I would love to race cars, but I don't because I can't afford a million dollar car or 100grand everytime I crash it. Should it be brought into my budget or should I make more money to put myself in that position.. it is a capitalist world, what you're saying sounds like commie talk

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an even weaker argument the corals we keep are mostly cultivated at aquafarms in Indonesia and other coastal countries. We frag corals constantly which are then circulated throughout the hobby.
Your missing the point, what happens if those over sea farms get a heat wave or another environmental factor that affects the reefs there ? Where does that leave us ?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from observation (I am a local vendor), people tend to personally value things that are higher in price. That said, my main goal is to make reefing more affordable, sustainable, and easier. But it’s tough when people don’t bother to properly research the animals because they are so cheap in certain instances. I literally had a person say,” Give me the grass looking one”, when it is a Goniopora. Then I have to quiz them on their tanks to make sure they understand the care requirements. So it does go both ways.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your missing the point, what happens if those over sea farms get a heat wave or another environmental factor that affects the reefs there ? Where does that leave us ?
Alright fine, worst case scenario all the big aquafarms get hit with a fireball, oh boy now we are only left with the millions of corals already in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back