OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda reminds me of Burt Reynolds in Deliverance." I'll never have insurance, it takes out all of the risk".
I for one have way too much time and money tried up in my reef to risk not having a generator. And besides I take my responsibility for my fish friends to seriously to risk them.

"Should we take things more seriously?"
if you live in area where you face inclement weather challenges and have frequent outages OF COURSE a generator would be needed before even considering a tank. The comment was about me and my set up and I personally don't need a generator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you live in area where you face inclement weather challenges and have frequent outages OF COURSE a generator would be needed before even considering a tank. The comment was about me and my set up and I personally don't need a generator.
. Well you know. I read everything you have posted here and well, .... I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol alrighty guys I had fun tonight thanks for all the convo very entertaining for the most part you guys are hilarious , many different view points, happy reefing stay safe!

Goodnight !

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on “chop shop corals” ?
My thoughts don't really matter.
People make a living, this is one of the ways.
Personally, if a coral goes into a chop shop for $x, and they chop it up into 20 pieces, and then want the same $x for each piece, no thanks. I don't want that but I will probably never know that's what they did so it doesn't matter. They need to make a living.

I but strictly on what I like for sticks and LPS. not the "name". But I may use names to know what I'm getting of that is what I wanted.

But for me, I sell cheap, helps offset(very little, electric went way up) or give away certain things. If* I have a tank crash, maybe* these people I gave stuff to will help me out. A coral bank of you will.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is set up to where I don’t need any of that stuff I’ve learned from past mistakes with the livestock I choose to keep. Just left out of town for 2 weeks and my tank didn’t skip a beat just had to clean the glass.
What?

2 weeks and never a thought if power went out? This is a potential disaster of it does go out.

I'm leaving for a week soon.

I have an APC on my main pump. It can run for a day or more if power goes out. My heater is not connected but it's still warm here in New England. My sump is in the basement so it will try* to keep the tank cool(AC will be off to).
No other things are attached to the APC. It should be enough to keep O2 up.

Before the APC, I have had the tank go completly dark 5 hours, no movement at all and everything was fine, multiple times.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no “research” that needs to be done. Common fish are not what most reefers get excited over, of course everyone’s taste is different but I find it hard to compare a yellow tang to a clown fish. I never said the fish were endangered I was referring to the coral we keep.
Funny, I don't like designer clowns. I don't like designer anything fish wise. If a fish had a natural misbar, okay, I'm in.

I don't think, personal feeling, we should be changing the appearance of fish purposely. I like natural. That's me.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacultured fish can be an issue, however with corals there are so many places now that do a great job with aquaculture. Buying quality corals that are multiple generations old has its plus side. These frags have been raised in an environment we keep in our systems. They have never seen an ocean and proliferate in synthetic salts and raised under lighting we purchase for our reef tanks. Overall I think you're better with corals like this and they will acclimate to our reef tanks better than stuff taken from the wild.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?

2 weeks and never a thought if power went out? This is a potential disaster of it does go out.

I'm leaving for a week soon.

I have an APC on my main pump. It can run for a day or more if power goes out. My heater is not connected but it's still warm here in New England. My sump is in the basement so it will try* to keep the tank cool(AC will be off to).
No other things are attached to the APC. It should be enough to keep O2 up.

Before the APC, I have had the tank go completly dark 5 hours, no movement at all and everything was fine, multiple times.
I could have went longer and the tank would be fine power outages are rare in my area, I live in an area with politicians and judges them loosing power is the last thing the city needs, even if power does go out I get notifications and it’s back up in 2 hours max. I don’t keep large fish anymore because I work a lot and they make a lot of mess, my biggest concern would be evaporation and my salinity rising but even then I’m fine, I manually dose the tank and yes alk and cal do drop but I just continue my dose when I get back in town not a concern for me either. Don’t need a heater I live in the south it’s hot enough here my ac stays on so the temp isn’t concern. Anything that has the potential to malfunction has been pulled from my system skimmer included I had a regal 300 but for now it’s in the garage. I understand that peace of mind knowing that we have backups on backups but in my case it’s not worth the headache everything needs to be maintained and it was taking the fun out of it for me, battery backups, dosing pumps , gyres/vortechs i literally have them all in the garage, I made my system extremely simple.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is a rough crowd:)
PT really everyone should consider
Running two return pumps or one on the shelf
Two heaters (for folks in colder areas)
Leak sensors
Yes, a generator

As a side note do you park a car in the garage?
Are you running a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer air intake?

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is a rough crowd:)
PT really everyone should consider
Running two return pumps or one on the shelf
Two heaters (for folks in colder areas)
Leak sensors
Yes, a generator

As a side note do you park a car in the garage?
Are you running a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer air intake?
Everyone system is different, I personally do have a second return pump in case my current one goes out but that’s all, the other stuff aren’t needed for me personally but for others I can see where they would be so not knocking that.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bought wild (that I know of). I don't want anything coming from the ocean if I can control it. I feel the idea that we can eventually sustain the hobby by farm grown only. Then all the focus can be done rebuilding the reefs.

Paying extra is the price I'm willing to pay for not pulling from the ocean.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has more posts reported than many of you have copepods in your tank. Closed for review and maybe FOREVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back