OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the one that said it didn’t “need any of that”

Just because power outages are rare doesn’t exclude the fact that a prolonged power outage is possible and you have zero prep for that scenario. Seems that should be taken more seriously
So a generator and reef sitter are needed to have a tank ? Or can you just set a tank up to where they aren’t needed?

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the most expensive designer ive seen around is like $300 for a pair so $150 a clown I have no clue where you're finding the crown jewel of designer clowns for $900+
Better look into that again , you have longfin clowns going for $300-$400 a piece, not to mention nebulas and I think the new kid on the block are the black hawk Picasso

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome sounds interesting, have you noticed any dramatic changes with the Solomon island reefs during your studies ?
I have been dropping in to see how the conversation is going. This reply to the Salmonid biological student looks like a comment I could have made as I struggle with dyslexia and often get words mixed up when I read them wrong. I have to apologize and/or explain myself more often than I would like, but I feel like I am in good company when I read this comment.

Thanks for the discussion thread and the interesting responses you have generated. Interesting reading.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So a generator and reef sitter are needed to have a tank ? Or can you just set a tank up to where they aren’t needed?

The quote asked about emergency plans. Whether that’s a generator, ice/heat for temperature control, etc.

You said, again your words, your tank doesn’t need any of that. Meaning it doesn’t need any flow for oxygenation or any type of temperature control. Therefore, your tank doesn’t need any electricity to survive.

Again, this is impressive.

I said nothing about a tank sitter btw. I never use them personally. I don’t trust anyone around me to handle the tank in an emergency. I’ll just come home to the chaos and deal with it. But in my case, I have numerous systems to help run the tank in emergency situations. One of those is a generator and I live in an area where the longest blackout we’ve seen in the last 35+ years is about 8 hours. I take/took my livestock serious though and had backup power to save their lives.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But who cares? You don't have to spend that, others might want to. What's the problem?
lol tbh idk how we all got here, all I asked were for thoughts of a possible ban on corals here in the U.S.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quote asked about emergency plans. Whether that’s a generator, ice/heat for temperature control, etc.

You said, again your words, your tank doesn’t need any of that. Meaning it doesn’t need any flow for oxygenation or any type of temperature control. Therefore, your tank doesn’t need any electricity to survive.

Again, this is impressive.

I said nothing about a tank sitter btw. I never use them personally. I don’t trust anyone around me to handle the tank in an emergency. I’ll just come home to the chaos and deal with it. But in my case, I have numerous systems to help run the tank in emergency situations. One of those is a generator and I live in an area where the longest blackout we’ve seen in the last 35+ years is about 8 hours. I take/took my livestock serious though and had backup power to save their lives.
Honestly speaking when was the last time you had to use the generator?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should have said designer clown to a regular clown , but same thing there are $900 + clownfish out there then you have the common clownfish $20, given the choice I believe most reefers would want a designer clownfish over a common clownfish.

I don't believe this to be true, there is an entire set of people in this hobby who do not like "unnatural" looking clownfish. Regular Percula's seem to be commonly kept.

yes, new people often attracted to clowns including designers but they often pick snowflakes which are affordable. attractive, and readily available but I see plenty of regulars in their tanks too.

Better look into that again , you have longfin clowns going for $300-$400 a piece, not to mention nebulas and I think the new kid on the block are the black hawk Picasso

Black hawk picasso are not new, my pair of blackhawks has been with me 9 years or longer (can't remember exact year I purchased them). They came directly from Booyah.

I paid $150 for the pair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe this to be true, there is an entire set of people in this hobby who do not like "unnatural" looking clownfish. Regular Percula's seem to be commonly kept.

Black hawk picasso are not new, my pair of blackhawks has been with me 9 years or longer (can't remember exact year I purchased them). They came directly from Booyah.

I paid $150 for the pair.
That’s why I said I think there are to many to keep up with , and yes there may be a set of reefers myself included that like the natural looks of clowns but I believe due to the mass variety of designer clowns ability demand says the unnatural look is in.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywho, I think people chase designer corals more than fish. There are exceptions but a lot of tanks are a similar tang gang since they eat algae and are coral safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywho, I think people chase designer corals more than fish. There are exceptions but a lot of tanks are a similar tang gang since they eat algae and are coral safe.
All thoughts are welcome, what would you consider a designer coral? something that has a special name or color morph? does that justify the price in your opinion?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the one that said it didn’t “need any of that”

Just because power outages are rare doesn’t exclude the fact that a prolonged power outage is possible and you have zero prep for that scenario. Seems that should be taken more seriously
Just ask those in Texas. I'm sure they had confidence in never having power outages. Well until they did.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All thoughts are welcome, what would you consider a designer coral? something that has a special name or color morph? does that justify the price in your opinion?

whatever is the hot pick of the season lol - still torches I think? At one point it was all about zoa's... then acans...scoly's... mushrooms when bounce showed up from LED's...

I don't like them any more or less then the cheap ones. It is best to mix different colors that compliment on each other (color theory), name doesn't really matter.

You can artificially make your corals pop more by putting certain colors by them. So if you have a favorite red coral, put neon green by it, doesn't matter if it is a common slimer which is inexpensive, it will make the red one you like seem even brighter and better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever is the hot pick of the season lol - still torches I think? At one point it was all about zoa's... then acans...scoly's... mushrooms when bounce showed up from LED's...

I don't like them any more or less then the cheap ones. It is best to mix different colors that compliment on each other (color theory), name doesn't really matter.

You can artificially make your corals pop more by putting certain colors by them. So if you have a favorite red coral, put neon green by it, doesn't matter if it is a common slimer which is inexpensive, it will make the red one you like seem even brighter and better.
This hobby is definitely a name game, I agree torches are still pretty high, I don't see them coming down any time soon even though I think they are readily available at all times, the only one I have not seen lately are the true Aussie gold torches. I like all corals but I have realized they have different requirements that may make it difficult to keep together

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as price, it is usually just supply and demand. Newer morphs are costly until they grow out and spread around a bit. If they are finicky then they may not come down. If people will pay that price, then the price is justified I suppose.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just ask those in Texas. I'm sure they had confidence in never having power outages. Well until they did.

Exactly.

Odd that a thread asking if we need to be more serious doesn’t even find emergency backup plans as something serious to discuss. Things that make you say hmmm

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly speaking when was the last time you had to use the generator?
Kinda reminds me of Burt Reynolds in Deliverance." I'll never have insurance, it takes out all of the risk".
I for one have way too much time and money tried up in my reef to risk not having a generator. And besides I take my responsibility for my fish friends to seriously to risk them.

"Should we take things more seriously?"

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly.

Odd that a thread asking if we need to be more serious doesn’t even find emergency backup plans as something serious to discuss. Things that make you say hmmm
Lol! Read my post I wrote just as you said this

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back