+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm saying.

@vittpsu21 6x2x2 gives you 180 gallon display. Essentially all of the equipment is the same size for that, as 120 gallon. It's at the top end but everything essentially transfers over. You'll likely need one additional light but both would run off the same sump, skimmer, return pump, maybe a few hundred extra watts of heat.

You get a lot more bang for your buck there.
would you go bigger on a sump though for a 180 right? maybe like another 10g-20g on the sump?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you go bigger on a sump though for a 180 right? maybe like another 10g-20g on the sump?
No. I ran the same 40 breeder from my 120 under my 180 and it worked splendidly. Also leaves plenty of room under the tank for additional gear or storage if needed.

You could step up to a 60 breeder if you wanted additional volume down there.

Top Shelf Aquatics

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 60 gallon breeder is an excellent user friendly size. or up to a standard 75 gallon tank, but i wouldnt think you would need to go any bigger. and with petcos sales a 60 or 75 new can be pretty darn cheap if there is one near by

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I send her a text, "wonder if I should just get rid of the tv and put the tank in its place" shhhh she wont be able to tell the dif between 120 and 180

she hates the stand its the only thing I have left from bach life so shes probably gonna jump at this opportunity

CLICK TO VIEW

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! You know old French Benches!

Yes it is BC leg and Wagon vice.

The bench is made from an Ash that I cut the tree down, milled to 10/4 wet, dried for 2 years then kiln finished.

Yes sir, love my roubo! It's the perfect hand tool bench as far as I'm concerned. How has the ash worked out, not too hard? I went with a soft wood to avoid marring my work pieces, but the ash looks incredible. My saw bench is actually ash, it's worked great in that application.

Jealous of the BC kit, I'm sure it's worth it.

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big or go home! And burn the TV.

I'm tempted to scape with E-Marco on live rock during startup on my next build. I prefer stacking but you could get pretty fancy with LR that's Marco'd together I'm thinking..

I used one spot of E-Marco in my tank after it was setup and running with livestock, it notes it is fine to use underwater but it did not warn me about the Alk spike... It held great but Alk jumped to 11+ :face-with-spiral-eyes:. I backed out and it's all stacked now (separated that connection during tank move).

Currently running 90 lbs live rock in a 55 gal, all in the DT no sump lol.

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this does get me away from running all blades if I want too and using something hanging, didn't even look at t5 fixtures at all though tbh, keeping the internet router in the fish tank seems interesting LOL.
i personally am a big fan of the t5 led combo. i run them on my tanks and absolutely love them.

AS

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the price like on t5's vs leds, obviously you have to replace bulbs and such but?
i am currently running 8x 48 inch t5s on my 8 ft tank and 4 radions. Obviously you dont have to go high end with radions, some black box will work or anything in between. its more about what features you want. i replace my bulbs every year, they are about 25 bucks a piece. i do mine all at once at the beginning of the year but i know plenty of people that do a rotation and just replace one or 2 a month to make the cost less.
i also run t5s with kessils over my frag tank. with proper maint the led lights should last a long time. same with the t5 fixtures.

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am currently running 8x 48 inch t5s on my 8 ft tank and 4 radions. Obviously you dont have to go high end with radions, some black box will work or anything in between. its more about what features you want. i replace my bulbs every year, they are about 25 bucks a piece. i do mine all at once at the beginning of the year but i know plenty of people that do a rotation and just replace one or 2 a month to make the cost less.
i also run t5s with kessils over my frag tank. with proper maint the led lights should last a long time. same with the t5 fixtures.
1681937746710.png
something like this over the 8ft or they have bigger, I realized after you said yours is 8x48" so just ignore my stupidity :p

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Scratch08

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3116345 something like this over the 8ft or they have bigger, I realized after you said yours is 8x48" so just ignore my stupidity :p
These are good fixtures as well, I have the 36" model...and they're a great deal right now since they are on closeout.

if you get a 60x24x24 tank, you may want to get the shorter end plates to go with it, I found the ones that it comes with makes the fixture too wide for a 24" tank

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are good fixtures as well, I have the 36" model...and they're a great deal right now since they are on closeout.

I actually looked at those, since on close out. Issue was trying to find the hanging kit for them. CV does not have them in stock.

CLICK TO VIEW

Scratch08

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked at those, since on close out. Issue was trying to find the hanging kit for them. CV does not have them in stock.
true, but I happened to find hanging kit for for something else, I'll dig through stuff tonight when i get home and figure out what I used, that worked for it. it has t slots on top of it so its fairly easy to rig up most any hanging kit

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah just noticed this also, so assuming I can go with the 6ft 180, looks like each one of these hybrids holds 4 bulbs + led how many of these are required for said form factor?

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have an 8' 300g by the time we finish rearranging your basement for you... :cool:
I swear, I am Sitting here watching it and shaking my head…. You guys really are something when it comes to encouraging things to get bigger ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Scratch08

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah just noticed this also, so assuming I can go with the 6ft 180, looks like each one of these hybrids holds 4 bulbs + led how many of these are required for said form factor?
If you go with a 6' tank, the 60" will be what you want. They throw enough light out you wont have to worry about coverage. then for LED's, its primarily your choice.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back