Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume most swimunders will require small/medium pieces pieced together which is why you requested more of those then large pieces yes? most rock likely wont come with enough space built in for something to already go under it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow is an example of using the acrylic rod pinning method to make an island.
View attachment 3116141

Below you can see a few different swim pass throughs just using stacked rock.

View attachment 3116142
2 pieces on the island are pinned yeah? base + the top? rod through the middle?

also for stacked, I think the reason I didn't love it is I way always afraid it would fall apart down onto the fish or something would push it? Do you find this to be a thing?

having some space for coral growth would be ideal also

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 pieces on the island are pinned yeah? base + the top? rod through the middle?

also for stacked, I think the reason I didn't love it is I way always afraid it would fall apart down onto the fish or something would push it? Do you find this to be a thing?
correct

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume most swimunders will require small/medium pieces pieced together which is why you requested more of those then large pieces yes? most rock likely wont come with enough space built in for something to already go under it.
Stacking rocks with only big rocks makes it look clunky. Makes transitions difficult.

Supplementing with the medium and smaller rocks gives you the ability to ensure everything fits together well. Has multiple points of contact and is secure, which speaks to your next question.

There is no rock in my tank which I am concerned about falling. When stocking rock you don't just put it down and leave it however it wants. You pick a rock (or a few rocks of the same general shape you were looking for ) the right general size and shape, Put it where you want it. Rotate it. Push up push down.. The goal is to nest each piece so that it is a secure base for the next level to go on top.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most rock likely wont come with enough space built in for something to already go under it.
The live rock you receive will be extremely variable with 100 lb. You'll have some more round, some flat, some long.

you get to decide what to use where.

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my preferred methods are stacked and (glue and sand)

For Losts tank we built an amazing honeycomb rockwork that allowed for maximum swim through for his fish with out the need for any permanent mounting. it was stacked. This was helpful for him when he needed to remove fish due to an unfortunate disease incident.

For my tank i have a combination. my original rockwork was glue / sand built and my most recent scape is just stacked.

I will be using a combo glue / sand and stacked on the final piece of scaping on the new 300 i just installed.
in fairness... most of your "stacked" is just one big A$% rock :winking-face: with a small out of little rocks around it.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in fairness... most of your "stacked" is just one big A$% rock :winking-face: with a small out of little rocks around it.
sheldon love GIF

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do y'all have any products that you trust for both the glue and pin method?

I think there is probably some merit in drawing out some ideas from my head too maybe onto paper, but that being said probably have to be open to changing it based on the rocks you receive

Top Shelf Aquatics

Scratch08

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $0.02, you’ll find there is more room than you think in a 120, my only complaint about mine is getting my armpit wet when I have to reach down to the sand bed… but I’m short so… all of my rock is KP rock, about 60lbs dry and 25lbs of their starter, good stuff and going to be ordering more soon. My sump is a “store” bought, but I live in a townhouse and have little room to do diy stuff, but the next one will be diy. May 1st it will be 1 year wet.
12EE18C6-3F20-438B-BCFB-05C684C4AC34.jpeg
07ADA2BA-BD22-48EA-B1D4-F2D84086EE8D.jpeg
2FDC3010-5700-499C-81C0-F60AE8B17FC2.jpeg
5F661276-2407-4805-B904-7ECB4426B2AB.jpeg
11A0B633-E86F-4BED-8F08-E2D495961086.jpeg

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think there is probably some merit in drawing out some ideas from my head too maybe onto paper, but that being said probably have to be open to changing it based on the rocks you receive
i like glue masters thin super glue, but any super glue will do. just make sure you get thin.

make sure you get a accelerator as well to cure the glue faster. you will be happy you did. or you can make one.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple reef safe epoxy, gel CA glue and quarter inch acrylic rod (Amazon prime eligible) are all that's really needed for wet
Another option would be hitting the Google machine, and searching for 120 gallon reef tank aquascapes.

Are some aquascape show off threads here.

Very easy to use those as inspiration.

I also drew out the footprint I wanted for my scape as well as the approximate profile, before ever touching the rock.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $0.02, you’ll find there is more room than you think in a 120, my only complaint about mine is getting my armpit wet when I have to reach down to the sand bed… but I’m short so… all of my rock is KP rock, about 60lbs dry and 25lbs of their starter, good stuff and going to be ordering more soon. My sump is a “store” bought, but I live in a townhouse and have little room to do diy stuff, but the next one will be diy. May 1st it will be 1 year wet.View attachment 3116176View attachment 3116175View attachment 3116178View attachment 3116174View attachment 3116181
this scape seems to have a lot of nice negative space and places for fish to swim through

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also go custom, to your specifications, often around the price of ready made, off the shelf tanks.

@Joe Glass Cages is a great contact in this field whether he builds the tank or not. Their website alone has a lot of styles and designs to get your creative juices flowing.
Really appreciate the support @Lost in the Sauce

thats right, here to support if we are not selected for the journey. we love this stuff!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like glue masters thin super glue, but any super glue will do. just make sure you get thin.

make sure you get a accelerator as well to cure the glue faster. you will be happy you did. or you can make one.
this NSA powder just goes over the compounds to hide it I assume right? sorry this is something I have never seen before

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the support @Lost in the Sauce

thats right, here to support if we are not selected for the journey. we love this stuff!
I am currently in the market for a 120g tank, but kind of hamstringed by my LFS options (48"x2x2) and also the space it will be fitting into (I can go up to 64"x2x2. The LFS only has one option to choose from so I either go that route or find something online, which I believe is where he suggested you

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the market for a 120g tank, but kind of hamstringed by my LFS options (48"x2x2) and also the space it will be fitting into (I can go up to 64"x2x2. The LFS only has one option to choose from so I either go that route or find something online, which I believe is where he suggested you
62" x 24 x 24 would fit an aquatic life t5 hybrid over it Wonderfully.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back