+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

I run a 40 breeder sump with Fiji cube inserts under my 120. It's a great size. Doesn't leave a whole lot of room under the stand, but enough.View attachment 3116074
these inserts pre made really aren't so bad price wise if I was to go this route would take me 0 time to put together. I guess the one thing I think about is if the stand is going to be a little over 4ft wide I am probably leaving some open space that I could otherwise use a longer tank/sump under to fill, not sure on the dimensions on your stand on this picture above

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question that just popped into my head back to the rock, would you scape it after dip but before putting it directly into the tank? or would you dip, scape, put it in saltwater every so often to stay wet while you scape, and then put it in as a scape?

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these inserts pre made really aren't so bad price wise if I was to go this route would take me 0 time to put together. I guess the one thing I think about is if the stand is going to be a little over 4ft wide I am probably leaving some open space that I could otherwise use a longer tank/sump under to fill, not sure on the dimensions on your stand on this picture above
put your ATO under there and your electronics if there is room.

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question that just popped into my head back to the rock, would you scape it after dip but before putting it directly into the tank? or would you dip, scape, put it in saltwater every so often to stay wet while you scape, and then put it in as a scape?
what method of scaping are you using? glue and sand? epoxy? mortar? stacking?
that will make the difference.

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what method of scaping are you using? glue and sand? epoxy? mortar? stacking?
that will make the difference.
I guess if I do it wet that will limit my options here right? I know I stacked last time and I would love to not do that again, so likely one of the other options, epoxy has a rough time on wet surfaces I am sure, so that leaves me with glue/sand likely?

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if I do it wet that will limit my options here right? I know I stacked last time and I would love to not do that again, so likely one of the other options, epoxy has a rough time on wet surfaces I am sure, so that leaves me with glue/sand likely?
my preferred methods are stacked and (glue and sand)

For Losts tank we built an amazing honeycomb rockwork that allowed for maximum swim through for his fish with out the need for any permanent mounting. it was stacked. This was helpful for him when he needed to remove fish due to an unfortunate disease incident.

For my tank i have a combination. my original rockwork was glue / sand built and my most recent scape is just stacked.

I will be using a combo glue / sand and stacked on the final piece of scaping on the new 300 i just installed.

Corals.com

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can find lots of progression pictures on my thread. here is the most recent post of the scape in the new tank

might be wrong link... but scroll and you will find it

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have the option of putting the sump in the laundry room and running the overflow/ return lines through the wall which is what I did on my big tank.

I wanted the tank site to be essentially silent. Didn't want to hear the machinery running.i LOVE it that way.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand with is slightly below 50 in. There's about 3/4 of an inch on each side of the 4 ft tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have the option of putting the sump in the laundry room and running the overflow/ return lines through the wall which is what I did on my big tank.

I wanted the tank site to be essentially silent. Didn't want to hear the machinery running.i LOVE it that way.
This is a great alternative if you have the room and would even allow you to upsize (not that you need to) the sump.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good option for wet rock is to drill and pin it.

Like are you mentioned in your thread yesterday, quarter inch masonry bit on a quarter inch impact, and quarter inch acrylic rod makes a very secure connection which you can then pack putty epoxy around. This epoxy is meant to cure, wet. After massaging the joints, you can even press sand into the purple epoxy to make the joint disappear.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can find lots of progression pictures on my thread. here is the most recent post of the scape in the new tank

might be wrong link... but scroll and you will find it
I love the separation on yours but not sure I will have enough room for a ton of this in a 4ft tank

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the separation on yours but not sure I will have enough room for a ton of this in a 4ft tank
i can understand that, the key then will be to create the illusion of separation with the right use of the rock.

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my preferred methods are stacked and (glue and sand)

For Losts tank we built an amazing honeycomb rockwork that allowed for maximum swim through for his fish with out the need for any permanent mounting. it was stacked. This was helpful for him when he needed to remove fish due to an unfortunate disease incident.

For my tank i have a combination. my original rockwork was glue / sand built and my most recent scape is just stacked.

I will be using a combo glue / sand and stacked on the final piece of scaping on the new 300 i just installed.
I like the idea of swim throughs and negative space, also the acrylic rod idea that Lost through out seems pretty logical, so you are saying kinda like drywall mud just start to get it on over the drilled rod fill and then place it in the tank and it will cure/harden inside the water

BRS

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the scapes appeal to me will be less important then to the functionality of the fish etc
this is a very good way to look at it, but it realistically needs to be both... or you will want to change it quickly

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very good way to look at it, but it realistically needs to be both... or you will want to change it quickly
yeah, I am also certain my wife pretends she wont have an opinion on the look.... but

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the scapes appeal to me will be less important then to the functionality of the fish etc
BAM!!!

In One sentence you just proved that you understand the most important thing of aquascaping.

Function FIRST

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow is an example of using the acrylic rod pinning method to make an island.
PXL_20230419_190318661.jpg

Below you can see a few different swim pass throughs just using stacked rock.

PXL_20230419_190325079.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back