OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I added the chemiclean and put in a power head, but I feel it is a bit overkill, if I underdose, do i still need the power head?

Attachments

• IMG_1885.MOV
    5.6 MB
OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the video doesn’t work, it is very powerfu for a nano tank and it looks like the fish are struggling.

reeferkeeperabq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recheck your parameters: your alkalinity and pH are very much off and probably inaccurate.

It doesn't look like you have coral. I'd just turn off the lights for a week. You can have the moonlights on for a few hours each day.

I'd also aim your left return nozzle lower so you can get better tank circulation.
Agree

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates at? Cynobacteria is very common in newer tanks and is considered to be part of the ugly stage. I'm going to guess 95% of people here at one time have had to deal with cyno. I'm not convinced that there is a definitive cause of it, as it can happen in both low and high nutrient systems. However there are a ton of ways to deal with it.

Chemiclean does work, but make sure to aerate heavily if you do go this route or you could kill your fish. (i've heard conflicting accounts on what it actually is from an anti-bacterial to an oxidizer.)

Other options are rip-cleaning, dosing bacteria, getting a bigger clean up crew, just waiting it out or a combination of those. (probably a few more I forgot about)

I choose the chemiclean option after raising my nutrients (which were zero). I choose this because the cyno was killing my corals and waiting didn't seem to be an option. I'm hoping by killing all the cyno at once it will give time for competing organisms to thrive. Time will tell if this strategy will work.

Good luck on your journey, you're not alone!
So I got chemiclean and put in an aerator , but it is really strong and my fish are struggling, is there anything else I can do?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got chemiclean and put in an aerator , but it is really strong and my fish are struggling, is there anything else I can do?
If your fish or struggling, do a large 50% or more water change.

Did you add more then what it said?
What are your water parameters?

I would check this before doing the water change unless your sure your fish are struggling. I could not see the video.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just watch them if you think the powerhead is way too much.

I would check this before doing the water change unless your sure your fish are struggling. I could not see the video.
Theyre saying the fish are struggling with too much water flow not chemiclean.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I meant by struggling, is that the aerator is too strong for them and they are struggling to move forward.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant by struggling, is that the aerator is too strong for them and they are struggling to move forward.
You can try mounting it low and pushing the powerhead towards the surface to create surface tension on the water or just turn it off and watch them.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol that’s different.

I agree with the post above. Changing the direction if possible, would be the best outcome.

Also out of curiosity, dose it say on the box to provide strong flow? I don’t remember doing that? I know you add it to a high flow area to disperse.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol that’s different.

I agree with the post above. Changing the direction if possible, would be the best outcome.

Also out of curiosity, dose it say on the box to provide strong flow? I don’t remember doing that? I know you add it to a high flow area to disperse.
I think they just say that it will reduce the oxygen in the water so most people advise adding more water movement or more agitation to the water.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just say that it will reduce the oxygen in the water so most people advise adding more water movement or more agitation to the water.
ok make sense, but if you already had adequate top water agitation you should be fine. No need to get crazy with it.

If your really worried about it, you can always get a $5 bubbler from Petco. If your near one.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image0 (9).jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back