White strings on frag plug

Reefer95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get an ID on whatever this is. Been struggling with algae in my tank even though nutrients seem perfect as well as parameters according to my testing. Cannot get my goni to open up and this is on the frag plug.

Fluval evo 13.5, dosing all for reef 3ml daily per consumption. AI prime 16HD, two clowns, one yellow watchman goby, coral banded shrimp and a neon dottyback. Plenty of various snails though they don’t seem to do anything. Phosguard in sump, protein skimmer and upgraded sicce return pump, seachem matrix media in 2nd chamber. Weekly water changes of about 2.5 gallons, Fritz blue rpm salt with rodi water.

Alk 7.5-8 dkh API
Mag 1300 Salifert
Calc 400-420 API
Phosphate 0.04 Hanna
Nitrate almost undetectable, maybe 3-5 ppm, API kit
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.026 Refractometer

Anything helps, thanks in advance.

IMG_8159.jpeg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like micro feather dusters. Not really a problem IMO. Regarding the algae, from what I can see - the stuff on the sand looks more like cyano. Need to up your flow and get some critters to turn over the sand bed. Nassarius snails and conch work well, or a sand sifting goby if you have room for one will work wonders.

OP
OP
R

Reefer95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have some cyano, I did one treatment and like 80% of it went away, this is about a week later and looks like brown GHA. I don’t have room for a sand sifting goby anymore, I need something that will eat the algae off the rocks also. I’ll pick up some more nassarius also

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have some cyano, I did one treatment and like 80% of it went away, this is about a week later and looks like brown GHA. I don’t have room for a sand sifting goby anymore, I need something that will eat the algae off the rocks also. I’ll pick up some more nassarius also
Bummer. Chemiclean? Very common to have dino outbreaks after chemiclean use. I suggest a large water change. Pincushion urchins are excellent with hair algae also.

OP
OP
R

Reefer95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. Chemiclean? Very common to have dino outbreaks after chemiclean use. I suggest a large water change. Pincushion urchins are excellent with hair algae also.
Hmm. I can try like a 50% water change this week, and an urchin if I can find one locally lol

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! They're already goin ham on the algae, my biggest rock in the tank is about 1/3rd clean overnight.
Awesome! Just make sure to pick up some algae wafers or nori for them. They will starve pretty quickly once they clear out your tank of the pest algae.

OP
OP
R

Reefer95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Just make sure to pick up some algae wafers or nori for them. They will starve pretty quickly once they clear out your tank of the pest algae.
Oh yeah. I have tons of algae wafers and nori. I breed cichlids and plecos in the freshwater world haha

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back