Overflow Standpipe wiggles?

Chewy954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up my old aquarium that's been in storage for nearly 5 years.

Water hold test went fine, it's been up and running for maybe 6-7 months now and I recently discovered a leak coming from the return pipe bulkhead, but from the slip section that is glued.

This aquarium was up and running for years when I had it first set up.

When looking into the connections, I noticed the durso standpipe has A LOT of play in every direction (inches of play).

Is it possible the bulkhead is cracked or is this normal for a standpipe that isn't glued in?
I do not see any cracks and everything looks fine.

Thanks all

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I recently set up my old aquarium that's been in storage for nearly 5 years.

Water hold test went fine, it's been up and running for maybe 6-7 months now and I recently discovered a leak coming from the return pipe bulkhead, but from the slip section that is glued.

This aquarium was up and running for years when I had it first set up.

When looking into the connections, I noticed the durso standpipe has A LOT of play in every direction (inches of play).

Is it possible the bulkhead is cracked or is this normal for a standpipe that isn't glued in?
I do not see any cracks and everything looks fine.

Thanks all
Rubber gasket could of dried out and probably should be replaced. If the actual glued joint is leaking it may have gotten bumped and joint cracked, I would replace it and not try to patch it, even if that means replacing the bulkhead. Not worth the chance.

As far as the standpipe goes, it should not be glued, mine wiggles also, it's a factory durso overflow. Makes it easy to pull it out and drain the overflow for cleaning. You might just need to clean the pipe so it will seat further into the joint. Mine has a black coupler that goes into the bulkhead that is removable. Clean them both and snug them up.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back