Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that I am wasting my time trying to educate you folks who have spent billions of bucks on fancy ballasts.

Randy set up the chemistry forum because of the amount of chemical nonsense out there, and I understand his frustration all too well listening to this nonsense.

Do whatever makes you happy and justifies your big buck purchase, but at the end of the day a $20 ebay ballast will do the same job.

I'm not posting anymore as it just irritates me.

Whatever floats your boat.
The last thing we need is you educating people on lighting. Move along buddy.

Nutramar Foods

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that I am wasting my time trying to educate you folks who have spent billions of bucks on fancy ballasts.

Randy set up the chemistry forum because of the amount of chemical nonsense out there, and I understand his frustration all too well listening to this nonsense.

Do whatever makes you happy and justifies your big buck purchase, but at the end of the day a $20 ebay ballast will do the same job.

I'm not posting anymore as it just irritates me.

Whatever floats your boat.
Please see post #24
"Actually the purpose of a halide ballast is to provide the starting / ignition voltage, then limit the warm up / run up current and then regulate the lamp operating current. Various types are available and each has a different set of specifications."
Thanks, @PaulErik !

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done. I *design* MH fixtures and ballasts.

You probably work closely with one of the companies in China for whom I design bulbs and ballasts not only for fish tanks, but for entire suburbs of street lighting.

I have no issue with what you state above, however as I said, a cheap $25 ebay ballast wil do the same job as $400 ballast that is 'reef tank specific'.
Would be great to have some insight of the Chinese bulbs that you have designed. What brands? Tell us about the quality of the built and durability, and also ANSI recommendations. Let us know more how you determinate the way the ANSI is chosen for each type of bulb. Would be very nice if you could enrich this thread with some deep info in the metal halide bulbs' design and construction. Also, some of the combination for each color of the bulbs. Did you ever designed any aquarium specific bulb? It's always interesting to learn about that kinda stuff. I'm sure many people here will be happy to learn some of that, if you wish.

KJAhp098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not here to argue which ballast/bulb is best. Just want to show how refreshingly crisp halides and T5s are compared to LEDs nowadays.

400w 14k Giesemann Powerchromes w/ Giesemann Aquablue T5s

Tank is still only a couple months old.

Attachments

• 20220717_165108.jpg
    20220717_165108.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 48
Top Shelf Aquatics

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not here to argue which ballast/bulb is best. Just want to show how refreshingly crisp halides and T5s are compared to LEDs nowadays.

400w 14k Giesemann Powerchromes w/ Giesemann Aquablue T5s

Tank is still only a couple months old.

Fantastic looking. Spectrum is perfect. I actually run my leds close to what your tank looks like. Most people are just too afraid to because they think they’ll get algae ::gasp!::

KJAhp098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic looking. Spectrum is perfect. I actually run my leds close to what your tank looks like. Most people are just too afraid to because they think they’ll get algae ::gasp!::

I've seen some great tanks with LEDs under the 14k spectrum. It's just the all-blues that I can't stand...especially going to coral shows. I have no idea what I'm looking at or how it will look in my tank.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some great tanks with LEDs under the 14k spectrum. It's just the all-blues that I can't stand...especially going to coral shows. I have no idea what I'm looking at or how it will look in my tank.
Agree completely it’s obnoxious

Nutramar Foods

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOOOOVE radium 20k's. They run best overdriven at about 450w. I still have 3 old PFO HQI ballasts that are the gold standard for these bulbs, but they are not longer available. Even replacement parts are no more. I also use 3 generic M59 ballasts for my frag tank and they work great, just a little more blue color. You can pick up bare ones without a case for as low as $60.

Note all Im talking about is old, big, heavy, humming magnetic ballasts. I never considered an electronic ballast since there was nothing on the market capable of overdriving past 400w at the time.

paul17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i hope i am in the right place
just picked up a giessman infinity 2 foot fixture today single 250 watt de and four t/5 bulbs it came with a m80 ballast.
i have heard about these it the past put never took much interest in them can anyone tell me about the ballast and why or why not i should switch it out for a reef bright mh ballast thx

Top Shelf Aquatics

oreo54

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just picked up a giessman infinity 2 foot fixture today single 250 watt de and four t/5 bulbs it came with a m80 ballast.
i have heard about these it the past put never took much interest in them can anyone tell me about the ballast and why or why not i should switch it out for a reef bright mh ballast thx
Depends on what bulbs you want to use.
Also ballasts determine " color" and output.
Also specific bulbs only work with specific ballasts
Old " primer".
https://reefs.com/magazine/spectral...sts-evc-happy-reefing-icecap-ab-and-coralvue/

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many experienced reefers would consider the M80 coupled with the Phoenix 14K 250W DE lamp to be an ideal MH set-up. It will drive the bulb with more power, give you more PAR and probably a whiter color than any of the electronic ballasts even on Super-Lumens. The M80 will run hotter and may make more noise. The electronic ballast will use less power and likely produce a bluer color with less PAR for the same bulb, but it will certainly work. Choice is yours, but I would hang on to the M80 if you choose to go electronic as they are very difficult to come by now.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes good idea i will more than likely hang on to it if i go electronic
does it make a difference if my bulb is double ended
My understanding is that all double ended bulbs are designed to be driven with the M80 or near equivalent. Most can be driven at lower power levels offered by an electronic on Super Lumens (e.g. Luxcore, Icecap, Lumatek, Galaxy). I don't know anything about the ReefBrite ballasts, but I assume it is similar to other electronics with some type of auto sensing circuitry.

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for that do de bulbs burn brighter then se bulbs give they are running on the correct ballast
In general, a DE will burn brighter than a SE if fired by the correct ballast. There are a few SE bulbs like the Radium and the Giesemann bulbs that are designed to run on an M80. I would think they would be similar in output to a DE on the same ballast.

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rewiring an old fixture and was viewing this thread. To all of those with the old PFO HQI 400 ballasts , since 2015 the radiums have been made differently, the new bulbs tend to not last long on the old ballasts , i have 10 running. and have had a few go bad within a week or 2 . when they switched over to the new bulbs, i bought out every 400 in the chicago area and stacked up 40 bulbs. but now ive had to get creative as my supply ran out.

the new bulb to check out if you want to overdrive 400s is the Megachrome 21000 with the old pfo hqi its a tight combo.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back