Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

SpSDrew

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my ushio bulbs through bulb connection. Did not pay shipping fees on this case with them.

image.jpg

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

njreefkeeper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an ushio for a few days and actually prefer it. The 14k is a very crisp white bulb
I just got my first Ushio 14k bulbs. See them in someone’s tank and liked the look better than my radiums. Brought me back to the good ‘ol days of bright white tanks.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first Ushio 14k bulbs. See them in someone’s tank and liked the look better than my radiums. Brought me back to the good ‘ol days of bright white tanks.
I have 14k they are a blue crisp white but the new Ushio order I have still awaiting to be used. Can you post pics ?
I ran an ushio for a few days and actually prefer it. The 14k is a very crisp white bulb

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol what the
Not grasping why this is so odd. Technology evolves and that from the past no longer wanted or practical. Although it’s just as easy to ignore comments vs comment as if they are odd. Would be the evolved thing to do.

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, why is it a silly analogy?
Plasma died (was replaced) because display technology evolved. The replacement (OLED) does everything plasma did, but better. Plasma died because even backlit LCD with modest refresh rates surpassed plasma image quality.

These are not subjective claims - they are measurable facts. Plasma TV image quality was simply surpassed by other technology.

That is not analogous to Metal Halides being replaced by LEDs. You can't factually state that LEDs are "better" at the given task (color rendering and growing coral).

Thus the analogy is silly.

djf91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plasma died (was replaced) because display technology evolved. The replacement (OLED) does everything plasma did, but better. Plasma died because even backlit LCD with modest refresh rates surpassed plasma image quality.

These are not subjective claims - they are measurable facts. Plasma TV image quality was simply surpassed by other technology.

That is not analogous to Metal Halides being replaced by LEDs. You can't factually state that LEDs are "better" at the given task (color rendering and growing coral).

Thus the analogy is silly.
I still think it works as a good analogy. Some people still prefer Plasma over LED for various reasons, the same way people prefer halide over LED. Same sorts of arguments surrounding both and the marketing strategies employed by each of the newer technologies are similar.

But I don’t think we need to start another argument related to aquarium lighting.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think it works as a good analogy. Some people still prefer Plasma over LED for various reasons, the same way people prefer halide over LED. Same sorts of arguments surrounding both and the marketing strategies employed by each of the newer technologies are similar.

But I don’t think we need to start another argument related to aquarium lighting.
My comment was purely on new technology surpassing certain old technologies. Example specifically how plasma can’t show 4K their it became extinct.

However, had I been making an ability then I would have included the fact LED allow customization of colors vs having to physically change out bulb or run various flavors and turning off what wasn’t wanted.

I guess one could see my point as being an analogy but still not silly. Although all are welcomed to their opinion and he has his and I’ll respect it but just do t agree with it. Life goes on an MH might not. Same with T5 which also have amazing growth but also require a balance of bulbs to get the desired color. Both technologies create heat as well. MH pull more electricity and both require hanging kits. Reminds me of the progression from 8 track to cassette to CD to now digital. Technology advances.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment was purely on new technology surpassing certain old technologies. Example specifically how plasma can’t show 4K their it became extinct.

However, had I been making an ability then I would have included the fact LED allow customization of colors vs having to physically change out bulb or run various flavors and turning off what wasn’t wanted.

I guess one could see my point as being an analogy but still not silly. Although all are welcomed to their opinion and he has his and I’ll respect it but just do t agree with it. Life goes on an MH might not. Same with T5 which also have amazing growth but also require a balance of bulbs to get the desired color. Both technologies create heat as well. MH pull more electricity and both require hanging kits. Reminds me of the progression from 8 track to cassette to CD to now digital. Technology advances.
Meh lol.. mh don’t have to be hung.. mine is mounted the same exact way my radions are mounted.. xr30 pulls close to the same as a 250w metal halide so that’s void and heat is more with mh but leds put out a lot them selves. I have both on my tank currently..
70666775623__F03343C5-7C0E-49D8-BA7E-51BCA48C3CEE.jpeg
IMG_9251.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment was purely on new technology surpassing certain old technologies. Example specifically how plasma can’t show 4K there it became extinct.
Yes - you made an analogy. ;)

Life goes on an MH might not. Same with T5
Yes both are to be banned (via phase out, manufacture and import bans) in the near future, as I cited earlier in this thread. That point was that the replacement is not making them obsolete due to being better evolved technology for the (our) purpose (Growing coral in an eye pleasing cast) Instead government is making them obsolete based on criteria not related to our needs or purpose.

Both technologies create heat as well.
LEDs create heat, less IR but they still create heat. In fact actual lumen per gross watt consumed is not that much different for our purposes (growing coral) when you consider PAR and spectrum (or lack thereof with LED). But the end all ‘best’ is not who wins lumens per watt. The goal is growing coral and in that measure the ‘new’ technology is not a clear cut better replacement (per the analogy)

MH pull more electricity and both require hanging kits. Reminds me of the progression from 8 track to cassette to CD to now digital. Technology advances.
Another analogy… be careful flinging those around, they are not analogs (pun intended). You are mixing digital and analog domains and perspective of ‘better’ depends greatly on what is being measured. Portability, density, fidelity, bandwidth, SNR, distortion, harmonics, durability, etc.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh lol.. mh don’t have to be hung.. mine is mounted the same exact way my radions are mounted.. xr30 pulls close to the same as a 250w metal halide so that’s void and heat is more with mh but leds put out a lot them selves. I have both on my tank currently..View attachment 3168174View attachment 3168175
Yours are attached to something hung over the tank.

My point being there’s no tank mounts for MH/T5 such as for those XR30. Meshing not everyone can use the corner but most can use the latter although euro bracing might be an issue but still has a solution

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back