Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

oreo54

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is growing coral and in that measure the ‘new’ technology is not a clear cut better replacement (per the analogy)
It's not a " clear cut" worse either.
Sadly there is not actual scientifically relevant data either way.

As to analogy crt's vs flat panel is much better.
Both crt and mh have/ had in the end a limited to a few number of producers.
Both have a more err fragile bulky and high- ish toxin content ( one lead the other mercury).

Both excelled in some areas. Both weaker in some areas in regards to their new replacement.

They are more parallel paths than in line competition.

Aesthetics and ease alone ( with a few exceptions) favor led over its brethren.

As to efficiency regardless of l/w ( which is currently close to doubling that of mh. Consider whites with a l/w of 150-ush and now remove the phosphor) light delivery and less " wasted" photons have the advantage
Now spread is another story but targeted delivery still favors led. Reflector inefficiencies, restrike ect.

Why out of all the fields led is replacing legacy lighting you can't achieve at least a 25% energy savings over a reef tank is a mystery though. Granted 25% isn't earth shattering to a single tank owner.

"Better" is always a loaded word.
Better for who and for what and why?

One a side note t5's ect are as different from mh as LEDs are .. Little to no ir, uv, or radiant heat ( hand burning under a bank?)

Different spread/ shadow patterns. Yea opposite but still " different".

All different paths to roughly the same goal though.

Are led prices obscene...well I guess.
Happens in low volume specialty markets
At one point a horticultural Kessil was significantly cheaper than a " reef" one with mostly only a diode " color" change.
If say xr-30's were down to $400 total for 205 watts of photons this conversation would be a lot different.

As to spectrums.well that is a manuf. choice with no clear cut scientific guidelines except blue is good a lot of red is bad.....

Bulbs may survive drastic price increases due to availability/ monopoly pressures but who will build the fixtures?
ATM few and the ones available also have high margins (?) or costs due to shipping/storage bulk.

I have no dog in this hunt...

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a " clear cut" worse either.
Sadly there is not actual scientifically relevant data either way.

As to analogy crt's vs flat panel is much better.
Both crt and mh have/ had in the end a limited to a few number of producers.
Both have a more err fragile bulky and high- ish toxin content ( one lead the other mercury).

Both excelled in some areas. Both weaker in some areas in regards to their new replacement.

They are more parallel paths than in line competition.

Aesthetics and ease alone ( with a few exceptions) favor led over its brethren.

As to efficiency regardless of l/w ( which is currently close to doubling that of mh. Consider whites with a l/w of 150-ush and now remove the phosphor) light delivery and less " wasted" photons have the advantage
Now spread is another story but targeted delivery still favors led. Reflector inefficiencies, restrike ect.

Why out of all the fields led is replacing legacy lighting you can't achieve at least a 25% energy savings over a reef tank is a mystery though. Granted 25% isn't earth shattering to a single tank owner.

"Better" is always a loaded word.
Better for who and for what and why?

One a side note t5's ect are as different from mh as LEDs are .. Little to no ir, uv, or radiant heat ( hand burning under a bank?)

Different spread/ shadow patterns. Yea opposite but still " different".

All different paths to roughly the same goal though.

Are led prices obscene...well I guess.
Happens in low volume specialty markets
At one point a horticultural Kessil was significantly cheaper than a " reef" one with mostly only a diode " color" change.
If say xr-30's were down to $400 total for 205 watts of photons this conversation would be a lot different.

As to spectrums.well that is a manuf. choice with no clear cut scientific guidelines except blue is good a lot of red is bad.....

Bulbs may survive drastic price increases due to availability/ monopoly pressures but who will build the fixtures?
ATM few and the ones available also have high margins (?) or costs due to shipping/storage bulk.

I have no dog in this hunt...
I think you may have missed the context and point of my response. Twas not about picking a winner, price or comparing pros/cons.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3167343
View attachment 3167344

I might have contributed to that.....sorry! Just wanted to add to my collection! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20230524_214436.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ballast are you running yours on 400w ?
I don't use 400W bulbs over my small systems at home. I choose between 150WDE, 175WSE and 250WSE bulbs. There are not many choices of ballasts to run the Radium 400W bulb today. The available 400W e-ballasts on Super Lumens is what many utilize and it works fine. Pretty soon the 400W bulbs will also start to be missed as the stocks are sold out!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back