OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. FWIW, I don’t (at all) question your success or methodology and was just curious as to your thoughts on the matter.
I built my 14' reef 25 years ago and its still up and running on its original seal at construction.

The tank measures 168" x 36" x 28" tall ;)

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate in, mounted on 3 1/2" tall sch 80 - 2" pvc. Now the Gyre XF350's are mounted under egg crate pushing toward s the 2 MP40's that return the water back over the top of the frag racks to the skimmer box
IMG_9086.JPEG

IMG_9087.JPEG

IMG_9084.JPEG

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might of missed this, but what kind of lighting do you have over the frag tank?

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might of missed this, but what kind of lighting do you have over the frag tank?
Its not permanent as I'm using some old Hydra 52's 4 of them, but this is just temporary until I decide on final lights.
Looking into a brand new release light from www.quantareef.com but doesn't come out til end of month.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you start selling do you think? Those frag are mini colonies compared many vendor frags. I know you said you weren't going to sell nubs but dang some of those are huge and already encrusting. Im used to a 1/2" peice on a blob of superglue :confounded-face:
I will be selling in a month or so. I wont be selling super glued 1/2" pieces ever. So this all kinda depends on how fast I can grow out to the sizes people want. I have a plan to cut 500 frags out of the 850 gallon system, then start growing them out. Once I feel comfortable with the sizing and quality I will start offering them up for sale.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the link to buy? Lol
Beginning stages of my new coral farm. I'm close to retiring and this is going to be my "new job"
I will be shipping in a month or 2. I will not be shipping cut and glue 1" frags.
I will grow everything out like the ones above in the photo.

Looking forward to my 5th business in the saltwater trade since I was 18 years old.

I owned a wholesale facility in Missouri along with a retail store, then I set up a collecting station and shipped fish all over the world from Hawaii in the 90's for 10 years.

This will be my exit from the hobby in about ten or so years when I finally return to the south pacific for my golden years and watch the sunset on a remote island.

Me at 25 in Hawaii putting away a days dive of yellow tangs

IMG_4661.jpeg

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build. The euro brace really helps with fish that jump imo. It also helps with water splashing out when you are working in the tanks. One thought. I would recommend a few frag racks vs one big one. I help a friend in a few frag tanks and you will occasionally have to pull the racks out to clean and replace. It's also nice to have a couple different heights to get different par and flow levels.

What are you lighting this tank with? I think I missed that.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build. The euro brace really helps with fish that jump imo. It also helps with water splashing out when you are working in the tanks. One thought. I would recommend a few frag racks vs one big one. I help a friend in a few frag tanks and you will occasionally have to pull the racks out to clean and replace. It's also nice to have a couple different heights to get different par and flow levels.

What are you lighting this tank with? I think I missed that.
There are actually 6 different frag racks in the bottom on 3 1/2" stand off's Sch 80 2"
They are 2'x 2' squares easily removable

Lighting is up in the air, right now there are 4 available HD 52's only 2 hung now, no need yet for the other 2.

This is temporary, I have a few companies working on quotes for the 48" x 72" frag flat.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on my lighting for the first frag flat. I am in the first release group of the Atlas lights from Quanta Lighting.
720 leds per fixture. I am starting with 3 of them, then going to add his new LED strips when they are released.
I am very excited to try these lights, Luca has been a great partner to deal with so far, communication is incredible and just cant wait till they get here this week. He shipped out today !!!!!!

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on my lighting for the first frag flat. I am in the first release group of the Atlas lights from Quanta Lighting.
720 leds per fixture. I am starting with 3 of them, then going to add his new LED strips when they are released.
I am very excited to try these lights, Luca has been a great partner to deal with so far, communication is incredible and just cant wait till they get here this week. He shipped out today !!!!!!

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg
Interested to see these in action.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back