Cade sump arrived damaged

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up....I ordered a Cade tank, stand, and sump which I received. Sump arrived damaged. Because I took it out of the stand Algaebarn is refusing to warranty the sump (no where does it say removing the sump voids the warranty). The weight of the sump is more than half the weight of the stand (which had to be put on its' side to get it down the basement)....only make sense to remove the sump first to avoid damage. This is why I don't order large items online :(

maxwellmcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they expect you to move the stand with the sump banging around until you put it in its final location? That’s dumb
The sumps are very secure in the stand. They are held down on the corners and side by brackets attached to the stand. They are shipped this way, and I moved my stand around with the sump in place with zero issues, as have countless others. They are designed in a way that the sumps are not intended to be removed, although they can be if the tabs are removed. Again though, not supposed to be.

Last edited:

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the sump damaged before or after you removed it from the stand? If it was damaged before moving it, did you take pictures of it still in the crate with the stand showing the damage?

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the sump damaged before or after you removed it from the stand? If it was damaged before moving it, did you take pictures of it still in the crate with the stand showing the damage?
The area that is damaged was the bottom, rear corner. I didn't notice the damage until it was removed from the stand. There was no way to see the damage without removing the entire sump and the corner brackets holding it down. Unless I did remove it, I would never have known it was even damaged.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they expect you to move the stand with the sump banging around until you put it in its final location? That’s dumb
Yep. I had to flip the stand up on one end to get it down the basement stairs. I wasn't about to do that with a glass sump sitting in the bottom of the stand.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump won't move in the stand . there are braces that you take out after you get it located in the area you want it so it's in there snug. there one at the top of each corner.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump won't move in the stand . there are braces that you take out after you get it located in the area you want it so it's in there snug. there one at the top of each corner.
Yeah I wasn't going to risk it. I removed the braces and the sump......those wouldn't have stopped a 200lb+ sump from falling out once the stand was flipped up on its' end. They are just little rubber clamps held on by two self tapping screws. It is the 1800 s2. The tank weighed close to 500lbs and the stand/sump weighed a little over 450lbs.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I know what they weigh their heavy tanks. I just sold mine cause I had to move . if you had problems getting that stand down some steps what about the Tank. you have like 4 buddies and some suction cups right

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a sled and me and a buddy got it down 2 flights of steps in 10 minutes with concrete walls on both sides

Attachments

• 20240622_155410.jpg
    20240622_155410.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I know what they weigh their heavy tanks. I just sold mine cause I had to move . if you had problems getting that stand down some steps what about the Tank. you have like 4 buddies and some suction cups right
Yeah it definitely wasn't easy lol. Did use suction cups and four guys. The issue with my steps is the tank doesn't just go straight down. It has to be put up on one end, slid in front of the stairs, then two guys had to go down a couple of steps and catch the entire weight of the tank which is pretty sketchy. To be clear, the tank and stand are already in the basement and in place.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a sled and me and a buddy got it down 2 flights of steps in 10 minutes with concrete walls on both sides
Good idea.....unfortunately my tank looks like it is double that size....and weight lol.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how your crate looked? My Cade 1200 had obviously either been set down hard or double stacked or something, the plywood on top of the tank's crate was partly collapsed with the bottom of the top crate (stand) intruding about an inch. However there was no damage to the contents fortunately.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how your crate looked? My Cade 1200 had obviously either been set down hard or double stacked or something, the plywood on top of the tank's crate was partly collapsed with the bottom of the top crate (stand) intruding about an inch. However there was no damage to the contents fortunately.
My crate actually looked fine. The tank and stand were fine also. Looks like the sump was damaged putting it into the stand. Looks like they struggled with it because there were two holes they drilled incorrectly trying to mount the rubber brackets the hold the sump in place. Mine did come double stacked also.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea.....unfortunately my tank looks like it is double that size....and weight lol.

My crate actually looked fine. The tank and stand were fine also. Looks like the sump was damaged putting it into the stand. Looks like they struggled with it because there were two holes they drilled incorrectly trying to mount the rubber brackets the hold the sump in place. Mine did come double stacked also.
it should be double stacked . I think they all are unless you request it not to be. I which case you would have to pay some of the freight I believe

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should be double stacked . I think they all are unless you request it not to be. I which case you would have to pay some of the freight I believe
Yes they all come with stand stacked on top of tank-I meant a second pallet on top of all that, since stand crate was mashed down into the crate for the tank.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct...yhou have to pay an extra $200 to not have it double stacked. My damage was not due from shipping though. It was damaged at some point before it was shipped......and I get stuck with a broken sump. I have read through a bunch of old posts regarding damaged Cade tanks from Algaebarn. Most of them end the same way. Algaebarn submits pictures to Cade, and Cade comes up with a reason why it isn't covered. I will not purchase from Algaebarn/Cade again strictly for the lack of customer service.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whether it was damaged during packing or shipping, I hope Algae Barn reconsiders and makes it right. New tank day should not be like this.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back