OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nps clam from Jason is open again. Means water quality is good.

It was closed for a few days last week in conjunction with the polyps on coral being closed.

I think water quality is back to normal ; support for coral warfare or other toxins.

Ever since I watched the doc on clams being used to protect water systems for drinking water... It makes a ton of sense to use them in our tanks as indicators

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks back to looking great. But... Still getting random torch jelly . Not hammers or anything else. Torches only.

Seems to affect only 1 of the colonies at a time. Resulting in entire loss or halfing of colony.

@F i s h y and I have similar results....

Any ideas @MERKEY or #Cronies

Methods to save have been cut jelly off. If it's an attached head the entire thing melts. This seems to be the best method of survival doesn't work for attached heads... So bye bye singles.

Cipro bath- semi effective

Coral rx - seems to do nothing

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks back to looking great. But... Still getting random torch jelly . Not hammers or anything else. Torches only.

Seems to affect only 1 of the colonies at a time. Resulting in entire loss or halfing of colony.

Methods to save have been cut jelly off. If it's an attached head the entire thing melts. This seems to be the best method of survival doesn't work for attached heads... So bye bye singles.

I'm no help. Have you ever sent in an icp test? Maybe some weird funk in the water? That's all I got sorry.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Oh man, so sorry this is happening still Nate.

What I will suggest is going to be extreme so only do if you are ready.

Both you and Jason keep a much more "mixed" reef than I do.

I only keep montis and birds nests for sps. My wife hates the sticks haha

So I don't get all the coral warfare as much.

When all those new imports came in with bacteria and spread through the Hobby like wild fire, it was hard not to be a part of the carnage. That's probably where you got 1st introduced with the bacteria. Hard to pinpoint the exact time.

On top of that bacteria, you have a ton of coral warfare going on that you already know about. You have a gorgeous tank, but all that stuff has been added fairly fast over the last year or so.

You're trying to control all of that with carbon and other means of mechanical/chemical filtration....so that adds to the inconsistency of the tank.

You know this, but it's just part of the hobby lol

I know you know clams so this info is probably redundant lol

The clam could be a good indicator but also watch it's shell to make sure it's always white and growing. As you know the mantles should look like a flowing curtain, not just a small window covering.

As you said the clam is a good indicator and it will show some signs of being sick like staying shut, keeping mantle small and no growth on shell . If it has zero new white shell growth that is also a sign it is really not doing well. It will still open but then 1 day just melt in the shell. They are finicky buggers as you know! So if he doesn't want to open and does for a day or 2 , that shows that water is probably still harsh for it.

Ok so now to what I would do....and take this with a grain of salt as we all run our tanks differently.

You have established a certain type of eco system in your tank. Right now, it's naturally trying to go in 1 direction, and you are trying to "dose" or "clean" it into a totally different direction....You will never win this battle unfortunately unless you got POLOreef type of money and can basically just flush seawater through it daily lol. I'm exaggerating but you need to flush your system completely of the bacteria. That's almost impossible so we have to let it "die" off.

If you can, Let your tank go all natural....think of @fishguy242 and his tank. But on your own level of comfort.

Stop dosing anything but alk, cal, and Mag to maintain stability in numbers.

Try to only use your skimmer and sock/filter roller.

Let the coral die that has to die due to infection and pull it out on the 1st sign of losing it.

Don't worry, down below I have another method that allows a different approach.

Unfortunately, the torches get bacteria into the skeleton, and it's so microscopic that it eventually reaches every head. Some take months to do, but it eventually happens. Even with cutting off bad heads.

The hardest thing to do is to stop adding anything new for at least 6 months to a year.

If you really want to get control of your tank, you gotta stop bringing in outside contamination.

With all that being said, I know it's not that easy.

So where to start....

If you don't want to, just let stuff die, which I completely understand!

I'd do weekly baths in cipro for all torches in a separate tub. 24, 48, or 72-hour baths. I was comfortable with 72-hour baths, but make sure the tub is set up for it with heater, powerhead low low flow just enough to move water and airstone.

Make this into a larger batch, but here's the sauce.

In a 1g tank water bath, I would use 250mg cipro and amoxicillin 250mg. Crush and dissolve

I also add restore 10ml, microbac7 10ml coral amino acid 10ml , with hazel 10ml.

Toward the last 4 or so hours, I add Iodine until the water turns brown/tea color.

repeat weekly or just give the torch as much time back in the tank as you did the bath for and then repeat.

At the same time, cipro the tank full dose.

Keep doing this, and you might pull them through and clear the tank.

It gets costly and monotonous but keep at it and you should see some change...in theory of course. Nature is never a sure thing.

It's seriously like a job haha

Definitely good luck!!!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's my bath setup....
Screenshot_20240615_090554_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When all those new imports came in with bacteria and spread through the Hobby like wild fire, it was hard not to be a part of the carnage. That's probably where you got 1st introduced with the bacteria. Hard to pinpoint the exact time.

On top of that bacteria, you have a ton of coral warfare going on that you already know about. You have a gorgeous tank, but all that stuff has been added fairly fast over the last year or so.

You're trying to control all of that with carbon and other means of mechanical/chemical filtration....so that adds to the inconsistency of the tank.

The clam could be a good indicator but also watch it's shell to make sure it's always white and growing. As you know the mantles should look like a flowing curtain, not just a small window covering.

As you said the clam is a good indicator and it will show some signs of being sick like staying shut, keeping mantle small and no growth on shell . If it has zero new white shell growth that is also a sign it is really not doing well. It will still open but then 1 day just melt in the shell. They are finicky buggers as you know! So if he doesn't want to open and does for a day or 2 , that shows that water is probably still harsh for it.

Ok so now to what I would do....and take this with a grain of salt as we all run our tanks differently.

You have established a certain type of eco system in your tank. Right now, it's naturally trying to go in 1 direction, and you are trying to "dose" or "clean" it into a totally different direction....You will never win this battle unfortunately unless you got POLOreef type of money and can basically just flush seawater through it daily lol. I'm exaggerating but you need to flush your system completely of the bacteria. That's almost impossible so we have to let it "die" off.

If you can, Let your tank go all natural....think of @fishguy242 and his tank. But on your own level of comfort.

Let the coral die that has to die due to infection and pull it out on the 1st sign of losing it.

Unfortunately, the torches get bacteria into the skeleton, and it's so microscopic that it eventually reaches every head. Some take months to do, but it eventually happens. Even with cutting off bad heads.

The hardest thing to do is to stop adding anything new for at least 6 months to a year.

If you really want to get control of your tank, you gotta stop bringing in outside contamination.

So where to start....

I'd do weekly baths in cipro for all torches in a separate tub. 24, 48, or 72-hour baths. I was comfortable with 72-hour baths, but make sure the tub is set up for it with heater, powerhead low low flow just enough to move water and airstone.

In a 1g tank water bath, I would use 250mg cipro and amoxicillin 250mg. Crush and dissolve

I also add restore 10ml, microbac7 10ml coral amino acid 10ml , with hazel 10ml.

Toward the last 4 or so hours, I add Iodine until the water turns brown/tea color.

repeat weekly or just give the torch as much time back in the tank as you did the bath for and then repeat.

It gets costly and monotonous but keep at it and you should see some change...in theory of course. Nature is never a sure thing.

Definitely good luck!!!
First off, want to say thanks for the write-up. Very helpful.

I think I'm going to take the route of weekly baths on the torches using Cipro and iodine. I'm going to reach out to my neighbor whose wife is a vet and see if I can get a prescription for Cipro to cut down on the costs. I should have most of the stuff to do the setup for the bath. 72 hours does seem like a very long time. Pat could absolutely be worth it even after dipping the affected torch this morning for 15 minutes and Cipro and Coral RX. It's already looking much better but lost a lot of tissue. Not sure on recovery status though. Not had much success with beating it.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also going to take the suggestion of not adding new corals to the tank for the months up coming
ummmmmm after my stop and drop? or do i get to keep all the goodies that have your name on them ;). but more serious. this is why i am afraid of torches. i have gotten burned a couple times and between them and goni's i have accepted my fate. i hope things do turn around for you and that you beat the fuglies going on whatever they may be.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ummmmmm after my stop and drop? or do i get to keep all the goodies that have your name on them ;). but more serious. this is why i am afraid of torches. i have gotten burned a couple times and between them and goni's i have accepted my fate. i hope things do turn around for you and that you beat the fuglies going on whatever they may be.
And yet, here i am trying again.. I'm cruising for punishment...

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh yeah totally cool with after the drop. I'll be treating the whole tank. And the baths.

:)

But not going to acquire anymore torches for the time being.

It seems to only be affecting them . The system is healthy but eventually someone gets sick from it.

You saw most torches are definitely fine and have been for awhile and some will pop up not as happy that have been there for almost a year.

Just want to figure out...

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro prescription secured. Ready to get along with treatment bin set up etc.

Need to write down a protocol and stick to it as best I can. Focus will be on that , tank is in great shape otherwise.

A lot going on as well, just ordered phyto culturing DIY stuff to give it another shot.

Should have some great updates soon, and will try my best to document progress successes and losses along the way.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So where to start....

Definitely good luck!!!
Cirpo is and amoxicillian are hard to get as a hobbiest. The fda banned the sale of cipro and I think anoxicillian.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, want to say thanks for the write-up. Very helpful.

I think I'm going to take the route of weekly baths on the torches using Cipro and iodine. I'm going to reach out to my neighbor whose wife is a vet and see if I can get a prescription for Cipro to cut down on the costs. I should have most of the stuff to do the setup for the bath. 72 hours does seem like a very long time. Pat could absolutely be worth it even after dipping the affected torch this morning for 15 minutes and Cipro and Coral RX. It's already looking much better but lost a lot of tissue. Not sure on recovery status though. Not had much success with beating it.
She's a vet take a jelly sample to her and see if you can I'd the bacteria and maybe a couple different drugs.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back