4 x 2 x 2 ft stocking advice

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! So many options that’s why I like the guidance from you all. It’s going to be an amazing I hope
So theres a melon and a myer’s butterfly currently on violet aquarium.com and they are STUNNING butterflies! They also have a ve try large selection of fish and probably the most variety in butterflies Ive seen. Maybe give them a look!

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful big fish, I can definitely understand avoiding them in a 4 ft. Love them all and the marine betta too
Ah! Marine betta would be fine in your tank. They hang out in their cave and really only come out for a swim a few times. Shy and reclusive fish and nocturnal, but a stunning fish when they come out! This is mine at lights out. They are listed as groupers (due to feeding habits). He pretty much eats chunks of meat put in his cave or PE mysis, his favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_6579.png
    IMG_6579.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So theres a melon and a myer’s butterfly currently on violet aquarium.com and they are STUNNING butterflies! They also have a ve try large selection of fish and probably the most variety in butterflies Ive seen. Maybe give them a look!
Those are both beautiful butterflyfish. I think if I’m limited to 1 species I would go with anything that fits and is on the easier side of care / feeding for them, but people who know butteflyfish please let me know

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Marine betta would be fine in your tank. They hang out in their cave and really only come out for a swim a few times. Shy and reclusive fish and nocturnal, but a stunning fish when they come out! This is mine at lights out. They are listed as groupers (due to feeding habits). He pretty much eats chunks of meat put in his cave or PE mysis, his favorite.
I would definitely like a marine betta but he might get aggressive right? I would like to keep the overall aggression levels down so a firefish, banggai cardinal, other fish in that range of expensive snack could potentially be kept

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisite, McKosker, Filamented, Radiant, Canary (yellow wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus?) all great for that big tank. The pink streaks, possums and the isosceles fairy might get overwhelmed with a boisterous tank like that. Not sure about the solon:
1725007326550.png
Instead of an isosceles, perhaps consider a bathyphilus or a rhomboid? Unless your tank is super peaceful, the pinkies and possums might stay hidden all of the time.

Interested in a bristletooth tang? I've seen people recommend them for 4ft tanks.
Sorry missed a reply to this one. I will check out both isosceles alternatives. See my follow up on the pink and possum above but ok with not seeing them, not ok with them being a $$$ snack. Honestly not a fan of bristle tooth tangs and I’m ok just staying away from tangs for this tank I don’t want to push anything

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely like a marine betta but he might get aggressive right? I would like to keep the overall aggression levels down so a firefish, banggai cardinal, other fish in that range of expensive snack could potentially be kept
He isnt aggressive at all or even territorial. The tangs hang in his cave with him and he doesnt care, he just moves if they are crowding him too long. Only time Ive ver seen him chase another fish what this dingbat kleini butterfly that I had who literally ticked EVERYONE in the tank off. Rehomed that dude lol.

Edit: I think sites list them as aggressive due to them being lumped in with groupers but he isnt really a grouper lol its just like he was thrown in with them cause they are carnivores

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He isnt aggressive at all or even territorial. The tangs hang in his cave with him and he doesnt care, he just moves if they are crowding him too long. Only time Ive ver seen him chase another fish what this dingbat kleini butterfly that I had who literally ticked EVERYONE in the tank off. Rehomed that dude lol.

Edit: I think sites list them as aggressive due to them being lumped in with groupers but he isnt really a grouper lol its just like he was thrown in with them cause they are carnivores
Ok I’ll definitely consider one. Probably won’t affect the rest of my stocking choices if I want one I would think.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming between an orchid dottyback and a royal gramma, the gramma is the safer choice in terms of aggression towards regal, dwarf angel, butterfly, wrasses? I really would like to have one of the two in this tank. I also like assessors, swalesi and chalk bass for basslets but unlesss I could keep multiple basslets in going to choose between gramma and orchid.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an option to do a 6 foot tank instead? since you have not bought the tank yet. I just upgraded to a 4 foot to 6 foot and there is just something wonderful about giving my wrasses even more swimming space or any fish really. It's not something I can quite describe but it somehow feels more natural and serene to see them glide across.

I had a captive orchid and it turned into a fish killer at 2 years, replaced it with a gramma which has cause me no issues.

You can keep multiple chalk basslets together.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an option to do a 6 foot tank instead? since you have not bought the tank yet. I just upgraded to a 4 foot to 6 foot and there is just something wonderful about giving my wrasses even more swimming space or any fish really. It's not something I can quite describe but it somehow feels more natural and serene to see them glide across.

I had a captive orchid and it turned into a fish killer at 2 years, replaced it with a gramma which has cause me no issues.

I have the option I just wanted to limit myself to 4 foot long for this tank, I could consider a 6ft 125 if I finish the stocking list and am underwhelmed instead of a 120 as it’s comparable water volume to manage but this is already a bump up from the 90 gal I wanted and I like the 4ft length for now. It’s ok if I can’t get too many wrasse. I totally understand the sentiment though. I guess that’s why I want to build a stock list for a 120 before I commit to the tank, but honestly I’m thrilled just even keeping a regal angelfish though so I think 120 will be good for now regardless of what else I can add.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll definitely consider one. Probably won’t affect the rest of my stocking choices if I want one I would think.
Nope shouldnt. I kept him in my 70 gallon when I first got him with a lot of small fish he could have eaten but never did. Then I put him in my 125 that was a predator tank. Now he is in my big tank which is like half predator half not lol the only predators being eels

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think this is one of their main positives over the other options. But I meant multiple species of basslet, like gramma + also chalks or assessors, should have specified. I have a yellow assessor now in and love it but very shy doubt I would see it much in a 120. My captive orchid Ive had for a year+ was only aggressive towards the pink streak wrasse which was moved to a different tank right away, love it but that’s why I think royal gramma is a good alternative so glad you agree there.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope shouldnt. I kept him in my 70 gallon when I first got him with a lot of small fish he could have eaten but never did. Then I put him in my 125 that was a predator tank. Now he is in my big tank which is like half predator half not lol the only predators being eels
Hmm ok I will definitely add it to the consideration then. Always liked them. I’m working on listing everything discussed in thread so far now along with some other smaller fish I may like so I can post it all together and then refine it

west co reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as foxface then I’ll probably just pass, especially if it lets me keep more wrasses. Solon is the red head I saw it listed as solorensis guess its name changed.

So let’s say I want the regal angel, a dwarf angel, butterflyfish (not sure on species yet, like copperband pearlscale latticed spotband). No foxface, and most likely if not certainly no yellow tang. Not sure if I can have more than 1 butterfly but I think not.

Then with those 3 being the only “big” fish besides wrasses, would you add both an exquisite and isosceles? Considering someone above did mention isosceles can be shy, Or just 1. In my initial research both are ok together in general. I’m aware of exquisite geographical variation I like the bluer Fiji variety the most but I’d be sure to buy this one with that in mind.

And then would you do 1 or 2 flasher wrasse, and 1 or 2 of the radiant/melanurus/canary group? I assume the answer is best to do 1 of each especially if 2 fairy wrasse also. I will be buying them all in person. For bioload constraint im going to be going bigger vs smaller on the fleece roller and skimmer, the biggest I can fit, with hopefully at least a reg to large sized sump.

On the smaller possum and pink streak, I can keep them in my smaller tank or trade them in before I move, but I’m ok not seeing them a lot as long as they would be ok aggression wise. Sounds best to keep in different system though.
I added an Isosceles, Exquisite, and Lubbocks at the same time to my 120g and they all swim together fine. My Isosceles is definitely not shy. I even had to watch him with every addition I added after because he scoped them out in the acclimation box the most. Him and the Hippo tang think they own the tank. The fairy wrasse are great fish for active swimmers in the tank. I recommend a group of them as they seem to like to swim together. Also add multiple at a time, and follow the compatability chart. I think adding any new fish in multiples, and acclimation box, mirror if needed, is best to avoid aggression Just make sure your tank is ready for the bioload.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the option I just wanted to limit myself to 4 foot long for this tank, I could consider a 6ft 125 if I finish the stocking list and am underwhelmed instead of a 120 as it’s comparable water volume to manage but this is already a bump up from the 90 gal I wanted and I like the 4ft length for now. It’s ok if I can’t get too many wrasse. I totally understand the sentiment though. I guess that’s why I want to build a stock list for a 120 before I commit to the tank, but honestly I’m thrilled just even keeping a regal angelfish though so I think 120 will be good for now regardless of what else I can add.

thats fair. I have a 150g 6 foot... 6 ft by 2 ft by 20 inches tall. It was an upgrade from my 80g but totally worth it.

Here is my stocklist (most of which are already in the tank) if this is of any help. Mine will be a reef tank.

Multibar Angel
Yellow Tang
Radiant Wrasse
Percula Clown x2
Royal Gramma
Springers Damsel
Bluestar Leopard Wrasse
Ornate Leopard Wrasse
Yellowhead Jawfish
Pinkstreak Wrasse
Butterflyfish
Regal Angel
China Wrasse
Marine Betta
Tailspot Blenny
Hasslet Goby

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an Isosceles, Exquisite, and Lubbocks at the same time to my 120g and they all swim together fine. My Isosceles is definitely not shy. I even had to watch him with every addition I added after because he scoped them out in the acclimation box the most. Him and the Hippo tang think they own the tank. The fairy wrasse are great fish for active swimmers in the tank. I recommend a group of them as they seem to like to swim together. Also add multiple at a time, and follow the compatability chart. I think adding any new fish in multiples, and acclimation box, mirror if needed, is best to avoid aggression Just make sure your tank is ready for the bioload.
Seems like the isosceles and exquisite is a pretty good bet together. I like the Lubbock as well (honestly like every single wrasse out there haha) not sure if I could fit 3 fairy depends on the other wrasse and the amount of smaller fish I add. I definitely don’t want to overcrowd

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats fair. I have a 150g 6 foot... 6 ft by 2 ft by 20 inches tall. It was an upgrade from my 80g but totally worth it.

Here is my stocklist (most of which are already in the tank) if this is of any help. Mine will be a reef tank.

Multibar Angel
Yellow Tang
Radiant Wrasse
Percula Clown x2
Royal Gramma
Springers Damsel
Bluestar Leopard Wrasse
Ornate Leopard Wrasse
Yellowhead Jawfish
Pinkstreak Wrasse
Butterflyfish
Regal Angel
China Wrasse
Marine Betta
I definitely love this stock list if I were to go up to a 6 ft I would do something very similar. Maybe no leopard wrasse for me and add tang. If I stick with the 4x2x2 as I probably will, strongly considering a CB multi bar angel as the dwarf. Do you have the multi bar already? Was it CB?

west co reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way your fish will behave depends on the other fish in the tank. More aggressive fish may cause more peaceful fish to be shy. Depends if the fish see each other as competition for the same type of food or aggression toward same species. You set the mood for the tank with your stocking list. In my case, my tank has a lot of movement with minimal hiding. I have dwarf angels, fairy wrasse, clownfish, Hippo tang. You can also get larger sizes of the more peaceful fish to help with aggression

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely love this stock list if I were to go up to a 6 ft I would do something very similar. Maybe no leopard wrasse for me and add tang. If I stick with the 4x2x2 as I probably will, strongly considering a CB multi bar angel as the dwarf. Do you have the multi bar already? Was it CB?

I forgot the tailspot blenny and hasslet goby, updated above.

Yes, captive bred, I have had the multibar almost 2 years now. They come in absolutely tiny and need to eat constantly to not starve at that size so be prepared to grow it out and offer it food all the time. I put it in a 25g grow out tank that was full of macro and pods. I want to say they are like quarter size max.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred regal will most likely need the same care at first.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back