OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 3 zebrasoma tangs on the list. In that size tank I think thats asking for problems. They can get along in bigger tanks but yours Im not sure you can. I would probably take the purple off, since those are nasty tempered (had two and both have that temperment) and keep the scopas and yellow. Issue is those two are very similar in color so they might not get along. Also 26 fish is a lot, I dont even have that many in my 300 gallon tank at the moment
Yeah I’ve brought it down to 15, I’ll move the chromis and the firefish and not get the Anthias, that brings it to 15.

Ok so about the tangs I need some help, I really want the yellow and purple but I’m afraid that they will keep fighting till they severely hurt each other which is the only reason I have the scopas in the list. And in order to reduce the aggression from the purple tang I was thinking of adding that at last. The other fish that I can get instead of the yellow tang is the coral beauty. But then how can I control the aggression between the yellow and the scopas? Any tips?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of 4 tangs, why not consider a dwarf angel? They are so pretty. Something like a flame angel is so neon bright and active. Fireball or flameback is another wowza dwarf that comes to mind.
I really don’t want to keep dwarf angels as I’m afraid that one fine day I’ll wake up and see that they basically ate a large chunk of my coral or something :/

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve brought it down to 15, I’ll move the chromis and the firefish and not get the Anthias, that brings it to 15.

Ok so about the tangs I need some help, I really want the yellow and purple but I’m afraid that they will keep fighting till they severely hurt each other which is the only reason I have the scopas in the list. And in order to reduce the aggression from the purple tang I was thinking of adding that at last. The other fish that I can get instead of the yellow tang is the coral beauty. But then how can I control the aggression between the yellow and the scopas? Any tips?
Get rid of the scopas. Introduce the yellow and purple at the same time. Or if getting a biota yellow that come in small add the yellow first. Wait a few weeks then add the purple. Use acclimation box for the purple. Or no no box as I call it. My purples have flipped out in the box at first especially seeing other tangs. I usually wait until they are calm in the box ( a week to two weeks) then release when the lights go out. Thats how I would do it. Adding a scopas probably will just make things worse aggression wise. Ive also used purple tang decoys (literally little plastic purple tangs) to distract my purple from new fish. Thats how I would do it at least

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be aware that tomini tangs can be nasty too. Bristletooth tangs have a serious attitude problem. So you will have to plan for that as well. Another way to do it is add all 3 tangs last, or add yellow and tomini at the same time then do what I suggested above with the purple since those tend to be the nastiest of the lot you have. Not bagging on purples (my favorite tang actually, love them) but they can be a PITA

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s the biota one, so just keeping two zebrasoma tangs will be ok? If so the. I’d do that, I’m just really worried that the purple tang will cause a lot of problems or end up killing the yellow tang

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be aware that tomini tangs can be nasty too. Bristletooth tangs have a serious attitude problem. So you will have to plan for that as well. Another way to do it is add all 3 tangs last, or add yellow and tomini at the same time then do what I suggested above with the purple since those tend to be the nastiest of the lot you have. Not bagging on purples (my favorite tang actually, love them) but they can be a PITA
I already have the tomini but he seems to be nice so far, and he readily goes into the fish trap so it won’t be a problem to catch him

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t want to keep dwarf angels as I’m afraid that one fine day I’ll wake up and see that they basically ate a large chunk of my coral or something :/

Eh, I think them eating corals is way overblown.

A Genicanthus Angel is pretty much reef safe instead of one of the tangs. The female Bellus angel is my favorite.

IMG_4474.jpeg

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s the biota one, so just keeping two zebrasoma tangs will be ok? If so the. I’d do that, I’m just really worried that the purple tang will cause a lot of problems or end up killing the yellow tang
I think you just want someone to tell you it will be fine which I cant. All fish are different and have different personalities. If youre worried about it then dont get the purple. I cant guarentee that wont be the outcome, no one can. Ive kept yellow and purple tangs together before. Hit or miss if they fight. My first pair fought like cats and dogs. Had to separate. Lost them in a tank crash. My second pair were fine until the yellow grew up, he became a bully. Lost that purple due to old age. Its always a toss up mixing purples into the tank. Its kinda like pulling the pin on a grenade and waiting to see if its a live one or a dud. And having the tomini already established will be an issue adding other tangs I can tell you that much for sure. I always add new fish at night when the lights go out for that reason. Especially new tangs. You will probably have to catch it and put it in an acclimation box. Like I said if you are that worried about the yellow and purple fighting then just dont get one of them is all I can really say

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just want someone to tell you it will be fine which I cant. All fish are different and have different personalities. If youre worried about it then dont get the purple. I cant guarentee that wont be the outcome, no one can. Ive kept yellow and purple tangs together before. Hit or miss if they fight. My first pair fought like cats and dogs. Had to separate. Lost them in a tank crash. My second pair were fine until the yellow grew up, he became a bully. Lost that purple due to old age. It’s always a toss up mixing purples into the tank. It’s kinda like pulling the pin on a grenade and waiting to see if its a live one or a dud. And having the tomini already established will be an issue adding other tangs I can tell you that much for sure. I always add new fish at night when the lights go out for that reason. Especially new tangs. You will probably have to catch it and put it in an acclimation box. Like I said if you are that worried about the yellow and purple fighting then just dont get one of them is all I can really say
I see thanks

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my 150, 100% reef safe angles.
Let us know what you decide to do! :)
Hey I swear this is the last thing I’ll ask you guys (please don’t get mad I’m just 16 trying to figure everything out and I have too many repeated questions ) instead of keeping 3 or 4 tangs, if I add these fish, it’s more I know but it’s mostly smaller fish, will it work and be better for all the fish in general?

Yellow tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1 ✅
Clownfish x 2 ✅
Purple firefish x 1 ✅
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1 ✅
Yellow wrasse x 1 ✅
Naoko wrasse x 1
Red head Solon wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
Ornate leopard wrasse x 1 ✅
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6 ✅

Instead of 4 tangs and a total of 16 fish it’s 2 tangs and a total of 19 or 20 fish if I can’t get the white leopard wrasse or any of the other wrasse and it can be 18 if I have to remove the firefish (if he fights with the Midas Blenny)

The only reason I’m asking this is because from what you guys have said there may or may not be aggression problems with the tangs and it’s also best to keep them in bigger tanks.

Also I already have the 6 chromis and the purple firefish in the tank which will be a pain in the rear to take out.

From this list above I already have the clownfish, tomini tang, chromis, cleaner wrasse, yellow wrasse, ornate leopard wrasse and purple firefish.

This way I won’t have to take out much fish from the aquarium and also there are fewer tangs so they can stay more comfortably and there won’t be much aggression issues between the tomini and the yellow tang I believe. This way I will also just have to move the blue tang from the tank that’s it.

And I’ve had a few people tell me there is no reason of making the list because nobody follows it, but they are expensive here so it’s kinda like we have to follow them (or else I won’t have enough money for the different corals )

It’s going to be a soft and meaty coral dominated tank if I haven’t mentioned yet.

I’ve thought about everything you guys said and I just wanted to apologise for everything as well, like asking so many questions and coming up with such a dumb list of so many fish. And no this list is not because I want to keep more fish but I’m asking because this way I won’t have to remove much of the fish, only the blue tang that’s it. Thank you so much for your help guys and thank you so much for understanding. Also thank you in advance for answering this question

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I swear this is the last thing I’ll ask you guys (please don’t get mad I’m just 16 trying to figure everything out and I have too many repeated questions ) instead of keeping 3 or 4 tangs, if I add these fish, it’s more I know but it’s mostly smaller fish, will it work and be better for all the fish in general?

Yellow tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1 ✅
Clownfish x 2 ✅
Purple firefish x 1 ✅
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1 ✅
Yellow wrasse x 1 ✅
Naoko wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6 ✅

Instead of 4 tangs and a total of 16 fish it’s 2 tangs and a total of 19 or 20 fish if I can’t get the white leopard wrasse or any of the other wrasse and it can be 18 if I have to remove the firefish (if he fights with the Midas Blenny)

The only reason I’m asking this is because from what you guys have said there may or may not be aggression problems with the tangs and it’s also best to keep them in bigger tanks.

Also I already have the 6 chromis and the purple firefish in the tank which will be a pain in the rear to take out.

From this list above I already have the clownfish, tomini tang, chromis, cleaner wrasse, yellow wrasse, ornate leopard wrasse and purple firefish.

This way I won’t have to take out much fish from the aquarium and also there are fewer tangs so they can stay more comfortably and there won’t be much aggression issues between the tomini and the yellow tang I believe. This way I will also just have to move the blue tang from the tank that’s it.

And I’ve had a few people tell me there is no reason of making the list because nobody follows it, but they are expensive here so it’s kinda like we have to follow them (or else I won’t have enough money for the different corals )

It’s going to be a soft and meaty coral dominated tank if I haven’t mentioned yet.

I’ve thought about everything you guys said and I just wanted to apologise for everything as well, like asking so many questions and coming up with such a dumb list of so many fish. And no this list is not because I want to keep more fish but I’m asking because this way I won’t have to remove much of the fish, only the blue tang that’s it. Thank you so much for your help guys and thank you so much for understanding. Also thank you in advance for answering this question
Not dumb at all. Keep asking questions :)

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1 ✅
Clownfish x 2 ✅
Purple firefish x 1 ✅
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1 ✅
Yellow wrasse x 1 ✅
Naoko wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6 ✅

No worries asking lots of questions is good! Keep asking them. It shows that you care about your fish and doing whats best for them! I think the two tangs are fine, might have some chasing when the yellow goes in that you should watch for. My tangs always chase new tangs for a few days until they decide the new fish is cool and leave them alone. As for the list, its got a ton of wrasses on there. I dont keep wrasses so I cant help there. @Slocke and @i cant think would be the best to ask there! The fish I keep are angels, tangs, eels, and a few other misc. fish. Those I can help with, wrasses not so much!! :)

don_pips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 5x2x2 feet 150 gallon tank. I love how tangs look and was making a list of the ones that I want.

Tangs that I currently have:
Blue tang x 1
Tomini Tang x 1
Yellow Tang x 1 (it’s on pre-order)

The tangs that I want:
Purple Tang x 1
Desjardinii Tang x 1

Now before you guys get all tang police on me please hear me out

The tank has a somewhat open scape and it will be lps and soft coral dominated with some sps corals.

The tomini tang and blue tang are are already in the tank and I’m getting the yellow tang soon. Since the yellow tang will be really small I’m planning on keeping by him in my refugium for 2-3 months before adding him to the main tank.

Other than that, I really want the yellow tang in order to make the “Golden Trio of Tangs” as they call it which consists of the yellow, purple and blue tang, or so that’s what I read at least. Even if it’s not, I still really like the purple tang!

That makes it a total of 4 tangs, I really love the Desjardinii tang and would love to have it, from what I’ve read they grow very fast and get very big, but I know someone who has a Red Sea 750XXL with a Desjardinii tang that is about 6 years old and it’s not even 7 inches yet. So I was hoping that I could get the Desjardinii as well, do let me know!

The other fish that I have (ticked ones) also want to get are:
Clownfish x 2 ✅
Purple Firefish x 1 ✅
Royal Gramma x 1
Midas Blenny x 1
Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse x 1 ✅
Yellow Wrasse x 1 ✅
Naoko Fairy Wrasse x 1
Red Head Solon Wrasse x 1
Earmuff Wrasse x 1
Ornate Leopard Wrasse x 1 ✅
White Leopard Wrasse x 1
Lyretail Anthias x 4 (1 male and 3 females)
Chromis x 6 ✅

If I exclude the tangs, I basically have 10 more fish to add. Initially I planned on a mixed reef tank with all types of corals but then I changed it to a tank which is dominated by soft and lps corals. I have a plate like rock which I will fill with meaty corals and in the back I will put soft corals that grow kind of like trees, like colt, Kenya and gorgonians. Plan on making a rock with mushrooms and toadstools. I will also get some easy to keep sps.
Avoid the sailfin they’re total ***** unless you have a very large tank.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with not getting the desjardini sailfin not because of size of system but because of having other tangs with them in that size of a system will cause a lot of unnecessary tang deaths from the desjardini. ( if he was by himself than yea go and get him.) I personally love tangs (to the point where I have 9 in my 125) so I am pretty well season with behavior and how they are and I would advise against the desjardini now purples as well can be hit or miss I had to trade out three of them to finally get a mellowed out purple on the fourth one. (And even now he is causing me trouble because I just added a gem tang to my system so him and my white cheek are in sump suspension lol)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back