OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you mean, I’ll remove the chromis then, that would bring down the number to 20, and I won’t get the Anthias, that brings the number down to 16, it’s just the tangs, wrasses and a few other fish. How is this list?

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefinginBD - if you ask enough people, you will eventually hear what you want to hear. The general consensus from credible responses is keep it to the three smaller tangs and don’t overstock the rest of the fish. Do t push the envelope.

You are new, take it slow. You don’t need and shouldn’t have 72 fish your first year… there are too many other things to learn and master.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you mean, I’ll remove the chromis then, that would bring down the number to 20, and I won’t get the Anthias, that brings the number down to 16, it’s just the tangs, wrasses and a few other fish. How is this list?
Ditch the Sailfin and you’re there.
Have to agree with others on that one.

You can always sneak in some non skiddish fish in the future.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely try that out! If I show you my scape can you tell me which fish I should remove from this list? That way you can see and understand how much swimming space and rock work there is in the tank
Okay, don't take this the wrong way but you're starting to sound like a broken record.
Do us all a favor and just post your picture of your tank!

It sounds like you want one person at least to tell you okay it's fine so you can go ahead and do it. Why don't you just do it and not tell us here. We all gave you our recommendations and you keep asking and asking and asking. If you want validation you don't need it here. Just buy your fish throw them all in there and when there's a problem please don't come back and say there was a problem.

Thanks.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, here is my list and I have exactly the same size tank.

Already stocked:

1 Purple tang
2 clown fish
2 Royal Gramma
4 springeri damsel
1 algae blenny
2 bellus angel

Getting or in qt:

2 wrasse (in QT)
1 rabbitfish
1 or 2 small fish. (my 3rd wrasse died in qt so changing my plan)

16 or 17 fish, 4 are larger than 5" the rest are smaller. I am a seasoned, 20+ years, reef keeper.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefinginBD - if you ask enough people, you will eventually hear what you want to hear. The general consensus from credible responses is keep it to the three smaller tangs and don’t overstock the rest of the fish. Do t push the envelope.

You are new, take it slow. You don’t need and shouldn’t have 72 fish your first year… there are too many other things to learn and master.
Yeah I understand now what everyone said. I already have the chromis so I’ll remove that and I won’t get the Anthias. I’ll also remove the firefish if needed. That would bring it down to 15 or 16 fish, with tangs and wrasses as well as a few other fish. What do you think, is this list better? Or should I take it down even more?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve taken him out of the list. Can you tell me what else I should take out of this list if any? I can show you my aquarium scape if that helps to understand how much swimming space and rock work there is

Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1
Yellow wrasse x 1
Naoko wrasse x 1
Red head Solon wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
Ornate leopard wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6
Lyretail Anthias x 4

Screenshot_20240813_082420_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the Sailfin and you’re there.
Have to agree with others on that one.

You can always sneak in some non skiddish fish in the future.
There is no Sailfinin the list. Just the three zebrasoma and the tomini. And I’ve also removed the chromis and the Anthias to bring the list down to 16, I can also remove the firefish if needed, bring it down to 15 fish

I have a purple firefish, with all the tangs and wrasses will he be able to eat if I broadcast feed him? Or else I can remove him. I have the same question with the royal gramma, do let me know, thanks!

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand now what everyone said. I already have the chromis so I’ll remove that and I won’t get the Anthias. I’ll also remove the firefish if needed. That would bring it down to 15 or 16 fish, with tangs and wrasses as well as a few other fish. What do you think, is this list better? Or should I take it down even more?
Add a few fish... spend a few months and see how things go. Certainly keep your list in mind, but that list (whatever it ends up finally being) should take a year or two to fill out, not a month or two.

There is much else to work on and learn and if you take on too much too fast you are certain to have a disaster, or more than one.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, here is my list and I have exactly the same size tank.

Already stocked:

1 Purple tang
2 clown fish
2 Royal Gramma
4 springeri damsel
1 algae blenny
2 bellus angel

Getting or in qt:

2 wrasse (in QT)
1 rabbitfish
1 or 2 small fish. (my 3rd wrasse died in qt so changing my plan)

16 or 17 fish, 4 are larger than 5" the rest are smaller. I am a seasoned, 20+ years, reef keeper.
The new list matches it more to your list, with 16 fish, with not chromis and Anthias, if the firefish can’t keep up with the wrasses and tangs I can move that one out as well

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't obsess with your list. Just keep it updated as you go. You know the direction you want to head in, so start working in that direction. Your list is bound to change as you gain experience.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large fish:
Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1

Small fish:
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1
Yellow wrasse x 1
Naoko wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1

I didn’t understand what you meant by when you said hard beside the cleaner wrasse? Could you please elaborate on that? Yeah the Naoko is mean from what I heard, but I believe he is compatible with the wrasses, if there is a problem I can remove him as well.

I can remove the purple firefish and royal gramma as well as get one less leopard wrasse if needed.
Also I’m sorry I’m still trying to get the hang of it and yes I do ask a lot of questions because I really want to understand everything thoroughly, I didn’t mean to argue with you guys (much more experienced than me) and say that I’m right and you are wrong. If that was the case I really wouldn’t have asked here and just gotten the fish

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, cleaner wrasses can sometimes be annoying to other fish in our small (not the ocean) tanks.

Your list will likely evolve and change based on what fish you can actually buy/find that are healthy. You may decide on an oranate leopard but find a blue star leopard looking the peak of health and pick that up instead.

You may find your midas blenny is in ******* (if it is like mine) and will beat the crap out of your firefish and have to rehome something.

Fish have their own ideas and personalities. It is a good starter list and will likely change as you SLOWLY stock your tank.

I wanted a Kole tang but after trying two different ones. NO MORE. They were both just too mean to the small fish but my Yellow is chill.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new list matches it more to your list, with 16 fish, with not chromis and Anthias, if the firefish can’t keep up with the wrasses and tangs I can move that one out as well
Don't obsess with your list. Just keep it updated as you go. You know the direction you want to head in, so start working in that direction. Your list is bound to change as you gain experience.
Also keep in mind you need to add at a certain order. For instance, I wrote down naoke is mean, you want to add him after other wrasse first.

What I meant by the cleaner wrasse being hard is that they don't do well in captivity by any means. Even extremely seasoned reefers have trouble with that one.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind can I show you my tank, then can you tell me if it has enough swimming space and rock work for all the fish?

Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1
Yellow wrasse x 1
Naoko wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6
Lyretail Anthias x 4

Which would you suggest removing from this list and which would you say I can keep?

I currently have the firefish and he’s Alr till now, will I be able to keep him if I spot feed (I do that 2 times a day for him) or should I remove him?
You have 3 zebrasoma tangs on the list. In that size tank I think thats asking for problems. They can get along in bigger tanks but yours Im not sure you can. I would probably take the purple off, since those are nasty tempered (had two and both have that temperment) and keep the scopas and yellow. Issue is those two are very similar in color so they might not get along. Also 26 fish is a lot, I dont even have that many in my 300 gallon tank at the moment

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of 4 tangs, why not consider a dwarf angel? They are so pretty. Something like a flame angel is so neon bright and active. Fireball or flameback is another wowza dwarf that comes to mind.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind you need to add at a certain order. For instance, I wrote down naoke is mean, you want to add him after other wrasse first.

What I meant by the cleaner wrasse being hard is that they don't do well in captivity by any means. Even extremely seasoned reefers have trouble with that one.
Ah I understand, thank you for explaining!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back