5 tangs in a 150 gallon???

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry can you please explain by what you meant? 5x2x2 is 150 US gallons or 560 litres
Filled to the top with no rock maybe... real world fill level minus rock you have 120 gallons...

But "gallons" don't really matter as much as the swimming area and space for territory.

Not aimed at you directly but - "No tang police please" = "I don't want to hear reality and I am different then everyone else so it is okay".

There are no hard drawn lines about any fish and tank size, but there are certainly lines that get crossed. Some people that cross them do so because they are truly don't know any better, but many blow past them out of selfish personal indulgence and/or rationalization they their setup is different and it is OK. "No tang police please... "

Do the right thing and try to err on the side of caution, not pushing the envelope.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying that you are likely including sump volume in your 150 gallon amount. Obviously the fish are not swimming in the sump
Oh I’m actually checked that, it has about 185 gallons but I would guess that it’s closer to 150 due to the rocks and sand which make up over 100kg.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filled to the top with no rock maybe... real world fill level minus rock you have 120 gallons...

But "gallons" don't really matter as much as the swimming area and space for territory.

Not aimed at you directly but - "No tang police please" = "I don't want to hear reality and I am different then everyone else so it is okay".

There are no hard drawn lines about any fish and tank size, but there are certainly lines that get crossed. Some people that cross them do so because they are truly don't know any better, but many blow past them out of selfish personal indulgence and/or rationalization they their setup is different and it is OK. "No tang police please... "

Do the right thing and try to err on the side of caution, not pushing the envelope.

I get what you mean, the fish that I’m getting are all still small, so won’t I be able to keep them in this tank for a year or two? Because I know that I’ll be upgrading by then, hopefully to a 7 feet, 1000 litre tank after moving!

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m actually checked that, it has about 185 gallons but I would guess that it’s closer to 150 due to the rocks and sand which make up over 100kg.
Again - When people talk about "gallon" recommendations for fish it is not system volume that is being considered. It is a general way to talk about swimming space. However a 5x2x2 and and 7 x 1.5 x 2 are very different. Both the same "gallons" but the swimming space is different. In the 7' tank fish can get away from each other.

it doesn't matter of your sump is another 150 gallons. The fish can't use that space. We are not talking about system volume with regard to bioload.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you mean, the fish that I’m getting are all still small, so won’t I be able to keep them in this tank for a year or two? Because I know that I’ll be upgrading by then, hopefully to a 7 feet, 1000 litre tank after moving!
Sure, if you really are going to have them in a 250 in a year or two max. However, If that is just a feel good "I hope to some day" then it likely won't happens and you likely will become one more "yeah they are happy, no reason to upgrade or re-home, no tang police please" posters.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that makes sense, thanks for taking your time and explaining it to me!

From my fish list what would you remove if you were in my place then to make sure all the other fish can stay comfortably? Then it will help me figure out which to remove!

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the sump is like the size of a 15 gallon tank and the yellow tang will be really small, like only 1.5-2 inches since it’s from biota, so I was hoping that keeping him down there with the constant source of algae (not macro algae) will help grow him out more and also quickly in 3 months, I would really want him to be around 3 inches before I add him to the main display tank just so that he isn’t bullied by the other fish.

I’ve been reading what everyone has been saying and also did some research of my own again and how does this revised list of tangs sound? Then I’ll have to remove the blue tang though which I don’t want to but have to :/

Yellow tang X 1
Purple Tang X 1
Gem/Scopas Tang X 1
Tomini Tang X 1
Cant see yellows growing 2” in a 3 months.
I’d stick with your list. It’s in no way unreasonable.
You have to be happy.
Any combinations can work, and sometimes they do not, there are dozens of factors at play.
All 4 at once, it will be busy at first.

Size doesn’t always mean picked on, it can also mean not interested as your no threat to me.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would simply avoid any large tangs. They grow fast and look cramped even in 250's. If you want a few tangs, then sure the smaller zebrasoma and bristletooths are a better fit. Hippos, sailfins, etc. just get too big too fast and become far too territorial. So leave the tang count as is or add another small species or two. A small species angel or two would be fine, maybe a foxface or other medium small fish.

Wrasses are fine as long as you understand their issues and have a way to keep them from carpet surfing.

The Chromis are not going to be 6.... within 6 months you will (at best) have 1.

Anthias? Read about care before you take that plunge.

I did not read how long you have been setup - but I would also not go dump 15-20 more fish in that tank overnight if you are new.

I would also 100% only buy pre QT fish if you don't have the means to do full QT properly yourself.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like tank volume. Not the size of the display. 5/2/2 is about 120 gallons.
Actually it's 140g

With my rock and sand I estimated 125g and that measuring per inch and how many gallons I added in that inch.

Outside tank dimensions are 5x2x2
Take away the 1/2 glass because it is inside the tank dimensions so that's less water. Now your tank is 4'11"x1'11x 1'10-7/8" (5/8 bottom glass*most likely)
Put that into the aquarium calculator see what your results are, and don't forget you're not filling it all the way to the top.
Should give you about 140 gallons empty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see yellows growing 2” in a 3 months.
I’d stick with your list. It’s in no way unreasonable.
You have to be happy.
Any combinations can work, and sometimes they do not, there are dozens of factors at play.
All 4 at once, it will be busy at first.

Size doesn’t always mean picked on, it can also mean not interested as your no threat to me.
No no I meant the tang is 2 inches, I’m mainly hoping to fatten him up in the 3 months before adding him to the tank that’s all. Since everyone is saying that keeping 2 zebrasoma and one blue tang will cause aggression issues between the zebrasoma and the blue will grow too big, so I’ll change out the blue for the scopas, then the aggression will be more dispersed among the three.
Have you seen the whole list? Is it ok? I hope you don’t mind but I’ll attach it again.

Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1
Yellow wrasse x 1
Naoko wrasse x 1
Red head Solon wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
Ornate leopard wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6
Lyretail Anthias x 4

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 tangs in the same sized tank (5x2x2).

The biggest we can get away with is a single Blue Regal sized species IMO unless there’s plans to upgrade before 2 of them reach 9 or 10”.

I have 3x Yellow Tangs, a Purple Tang, and a Yellow Belly Blue Regal Tang.

There was a 1 week aggression period from the Purple to the Yellows but that went away and now the Purple is the middle size of all the Yellows. It seems my Blue Regal is the boss of the tank, although not in an aggressive way - it just swims however and whenever it likes and everyone else just gets out the way. It also gobbles up all the food quickly without interference from anyone else.

I’m considering to add a Blonde Naso, but I’m still weighing in how serious I’d be willing to upgrade to a 6x3 or 7x3 tank in the next 2 years. This would probably be a similar situation for you in regards to the Sailfin.

So 6 or 7 medium to small sized tangs (yellow/purple and smaller) should be fine IMO and a single larger species (I’d rank sailfin as extra large) may work. Just make sure to feed adequately to maintain peace.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like tank volume. Not the size of the display. 5/2/2 is about 120 gallons.
Volume matters when considering bioload and total stocking capacity, but when it comes to Tangs and how much room is needed, dimensions matter. It would be just as bad to put a sailfin tang in a 1000g 2ft diameter cylinder that’s 20ft tall as putting it in a 60g 2ft cube.

Tank volume is irrelevant when determining health for Tangs.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would simply avoid any large tangs. They grow fast and look cramped even in 250's. If you want a few tangs, then sure the smaller zebrasoma and bristletooths are a better fit. Hippos, sailfins, etc. just get too big too fast and become far too territorial. So leave the tang count as is or add another small species or two. A small species angel or two would be fine, maybe a foxface or other medium small fish.

Wrasses are fine as long as you understand their issues and have a way to keep them from carpet surfing.

The Chromis are not going to be 6.... within 6 months you will (at best) have 1.

Anthias? Read about care before you take that plunge.

I did not read how long you have been setup - but I would also not go dump 15-20 more fish in that tank overnight if you are new.

I would also 100% only buy pre QT fish if you don't have the means to do full QT properly yourself.
So keeping 3 zebrasoma and 1 bristletooth will be too much? I’ve already removed the blue and the Sailfin from the list

I’ve done the research about the wrasses and they are all compatible with each other, I also have a tight fitting lid so no problems with that.

I actually had 7 chromis but one of them just vanished from the tank, I’ve checked everywhere inside and outside the tank and I’ve also tried blowing at the rocks with a powder head in an attempt to get out its body, but I just couldn’t find it, I’m assuming the nassarius ate him the night he died. But after that it’s been 5 months and they are all good till now. That’s actually why I’m getting the Anthias, I’ve read and seen in some places as well that when you keep these two schooling fish the chromis tend to behave and not kill among themselves. Even if it’s not Anthias any other schooling fish will do.

Yeah I know how to care for them and I already feed 3-4 times a day so I believe it will be fine. I can also feed more if needed.

The tank is 8 months old and no I won’t be adding all the fish at once, maybe 3-4 at a time.

Yeah the fish that come are already quarantined and then the fish store quarantines them again just to be safe, so I’m not worried about that. They are one of the best stores in town. I’m planning on installing a UV steriliser as well to reduce any other chances and also to keep the water clear

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it's 140g

With my rock and sand I estimated 125g and that measuring per inch and how many gallons I added in that inch.

Outside tank dimensions are 5x2x2
Take away the 1/2 glass because it is inside the tank dimensions so that's less water. Now your tank is 4'11"x1'11x 1'10-7/8" (5/8 bottom glass*most likely)
Put that into the aquarium calculator see what your results are, and don't forget you're not filling it all the way to the top.
Should give you about 140 gallons empty.

yeah mine is around 143 gallons with 23 inch water height, I am getting a little more than what you said because the aquarium is bigger than 5x2x2 feet, that is the internal dimensions, but thank you so much for helping again!

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volume matters when considering bioload and total stocking capacity, but when it comes to Tangs and how much room is needed, dimensions matter. It would be just as bad to put a sailfin tang in a 1000g 2ft diameter cylinder that’s 20ft tall as putting it in a 60g 2ft cube.

Tank volume is irrelevant when determining health for Tangs.
You are stating my point.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 tangs in the same sized tank (5x2x2).

The biggest we can get away with is a single Blue Regal sized species IMO unless there’s plans to upgrade before 2 of them reach 9 or 10”.

I have 3x Yellow Tangs, a Purple Tang, and a Yellow Belly Blue Regal Tang.

There was a 1 week aggression period from the Purple to the Yellows but that went away and now the Purple is the middle size of all the Yellows. It seems my Blue Regal is the boss of the tank, although not in an aggressive way - it just swims however and whenever it likes and everyone else just gets out the way. It also gobbles up all the food quickly without interference from anyone else.

I’m considering to add a Blonde Naso, but I’m still weighing in how serious I’d be willing to upgrade to a 6x3 or 7x3 tank in the next 2 years. This would probably be a similar situation for you in regards to the Sailfin.

So 6 or 7 medium to small sized tangs (yellow/purple and smaller) should be fine IMO and a single larger species (I’d rank sailfin as extra large) may work. Just make sure to feed adequately to maintain peace.
Well yeah I’ve changed out the list, and I was thinking of keeping 4.
Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
I would love to keep the blue tang but everyone is saying not to, and if I did then I wouldn’t be able to keep the scopas which will be a problem as the purple tang might bully the yellow tang a lot which I’m kinda scared of, hence the reason for getting the scopas, to disperse the aggression a bit more.

My whole stocking list:
Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1
Yellow wrasse x 1
Naoko wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6
Lyretail Anthias x 4

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So keeping 3 zebrasoma and 1 bristletooth will be too much? I’ve already removed the blue and the Sailfin from the list
That will be fine. Just be aware that with ANY fish there is no guarantee that they will ever get along. As luck has it sometimes, a simple clown, damsel or angel will peck anything to death if not happy, even if it is 4x their size. It can be anything that upsets that balance at any time, even between fish that have been together for years.

There general tendencies and practices but nothing is set in stone. That is why many of us advise against stocking a large list without a lot of experience. Yes, an additional can cause chaos down the road, but a newish tank owner trying to manage learning and 30 fish is a recipe for disaster too.

I actually had 7 chromis but one of them just vanished from the tank, I’ve checked everywhere inside and outside the tank
They will disappear or die one by one. It is the way.

Yeah the fish that come are already quarantined and then the fish store quarantines them again just to be safe, so I’m not worried about that. They are one of the best stores in town. I’m planning on installing a UV steriliser as well to reduce any other chances and also to keep the water clear
If your LFS does true QT that is great.

UV is not going to prevent disease. But that is no here or there....

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no I meant the tang is 2 inches, I’m mainly hoping to fatten him up in the 3 months before adding him to the tank that’s all. Since everyone is saying that keeping 2 zebrasoma and one blue tang will cause aggression issues between the zebrasoma and the blue will grow too big, so I’ll change out the blue for the scopas, then the aggression will be more dispersed among the three.
Have you seen the whole list? Is it ok? I hope you don’t mind but I’ll attach it again.

Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Scopas tang x 1
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Cleaner wrasse x 1
Yellow wrasse x 1
Naoko wrasse x 1
Earmuff wrasse x 1
White leopard wrasse x 1
Chromis x 6
Lyretail Anthias x 4
Still entirely too many fish, even for a 1000L/250G.

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same size tank I'm looking at. It's the max I think I can manage to turn in the hallway. But 5x2x2 is alot of swimming real estate depending on rock scape.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back