4 x 2 x 2 ft stocking advice

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm exploring a new tank and I think a 4 x 2 x 2 ft 120 gal is what I want to go with.
Looking for stocking advice here before I commit to it. Fish only, most likely will do a sandbed so l can keep certain wrasse.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish do you like/want? That would help with suggestions :)
I didn’t want to limit the suggestions too much as I’ve never kept a tank this big, many of these fish I have the option to keep are new to me. But as I said in the previous thread I posted when trying to decide on a tank size, I absolutely love the regal angel. If I could keep one in this size, I would do that and then base the rest of the stocking and order of adding off the compatibility with regal angel. The only other fish I’m absolutely certain of adding are a pair of clownfish.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t want to limit the suggestions too much as I’ve never kept a tank this big, many of these fish I have the option to keep are new to me. But as I said in the previous thread I posted when trying to decide on a tank size, I absolutely love the regal angel. If I could keep one in this size, I would do that and then base the rest of the stocking and order of adding off the compatibility with regal angel. The only other fish I’m absolutely certain of adding are a pair of clownfish.
Regal should be fine in there. Awesome fish

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, so next I see conflicting threads out here would a yellow tang be ok in this tank or no? Same for a foxface

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, so next I see conflicting threads out here would a yellow tang be ok in this tank or no? Same for a foxface
Foxfaces get pretty big honestly, my two are not super active though. They like to hover in the same area and pick at rocks and then move on. One of mine is about 6 maybe 7 inches now and the other is smaller. Yellow tang might be okay might not, Ive only ever kept a yellow tang in a six foot long 125 gallon so they have more distances to swim than in a four foot tank. I know some people on here keep them in that size since the water volume is a good size. The biota ones are super small when they come. Mine was about 3 inches until I lost him when my trigger went psycho and murdered him for no reason

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces get pretty big honestly, my two are not super active though. They like to hover in the same area and pick at rocks and then move on. One of mine is about 6 maybe 7 inches now and the other is smaller. Yellow tang might be okay might not, Ive only ever kept a yellow tang in a six foot long 125 gallon so they have more distances to swim than in a four foot tank. I know some people on here keep them in that size since the water volume is a good size. The biota ones are super small when they come. Mine was about 3 inches until I lost him when my trigger went psycho and murdered him for no reason
Ok I can pass on the one spot Foxface just wondered because live aquaria has them listed min 70 gal. I’d pass on the yellow tang if it’s not a good idea too. What would be a good butterfly? Spotband or pearlscale? Just 1 butterfly for this size do you know?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I can pass on the one spot Foxface just wondered because live aquaria has them listed min 70 gal. I’d pass on the yellow tang if it’s not a good idea too. What would be a good butterfly? Spotband or pearlscale? Just 1 butterfly for this size do you know?
Yeah I think they list it as that cause they are not super active but they do get very large! Are you planning on keeping corals? If so a butterfly might not be the best, they live to eat corals! People have success with copper ands and pyramid butterflies with corals. Others hit or miss honestly!

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think they list it as that cause they are not super active but they do get very large! Are you planning on keeping corals? If so a butterfly might not be the best, they live to eat corals! People have success with copper ands and pyramid butterflies with corals. Others hit or miss honestly!
No corals in this tank for this reason I have smaller tanks with corals figure I would go bigger this time but stick to fish only and not restrict my fish choices

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals in this tank for this reason I have smaller tanks with corals figure I would go bigger this time but stick to fish only and not restrict my fish choices
Best way to do it!
Big system for big fish and small systems for big corals :)

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to do it!
Big system for big fish and small systems for big corals :)
Wrasse addict! Can you give me suggestions for wrasse for this tank? I’ve done research and I like the exquisite, Solon, and isosceles fairy, carpenter, mckosker, filament flasher, radiant, canary, melanurus wrasses, and I like the pink streak and possum wrasses I own both now in smaller tanks but not sure if I am moving with them. I will definitely be keeping a tight lid.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse addict! Can you give me suggestions for wrasse for this tank? I’ve done research and I like the exquisite, Solon, and isosceles fairy, carpenter, mckosker, filament flasher, radiant, canary, melanurus wrasses, and I like the pink streak and possum wrasses I own both now in smaller tanks but not sure if I am moving with them. I will definitely be keeping a tight lid.
Exquisite, McKosker, Filamented, Radiant, Canary (yellow wrasse, Halichoeres chrysus?) all great for that big tank. The pink streaks, possums and the isosceles fairy might get overwhelmed with a boisterous tank like that. Not sure about the solon:
1725007326550.png
Instead of an isosceles, perhaps consider a bathyphilus or a rhomboid? Unless your tank is super peaceful, the pinkies and possums might stay hidden all of the time.

Interested in a bristletooth tang? I've seen people recommend them for 4ft tanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Angels and 4 foot tanks are fine - as I said in the last thread I had mine in there (I’ve had 2 Regals, one I technically still have it’s just not in my tank and is at the LFS I work at).

Foxfaces are a hard one to answer, I personally say they’re fine with 4’x2’ tanks but I also only really keep the “odd” species which are generally smaller (I’ve had Magnificent, Tongan Black and currently have Bicolour and Scribbled, I plan for another Magnificus). I’ve not personally kept Vulpinus or Unimaculatus but in LFSs I have had them in coral trays. They don’t get as big as fast. Tangs are always faster growing than Foxfaces and Rabbitfish are IME.

The magnificent and tongan black mix I had were in my 4’ tank. The main thing I found that may have been an issue to some people was the two foxfaces looked big in the tank.
IMG_8918.jpeg

Wrasse wise, I currently have a lot (I think I counted 15 altogether currently not including what I plan for or have sitting at the LFS) and have had a fair amount for the last 3-4 years now. I personally love the oddball species (Pseudocoris yamashiroi, Pseudojuloides species, Certain Paracheilinus/Cirrhilabrus species).

C. isosceles is one that I used to own, I have had 2-3 that I lost for various reasons (my last one being old age). I definitely think it’s one to go for and one to add earlier rather than later as they are a shy species.
C. exquisitus is another great one! The only downside to them is they’re highly variational depending on the region they’re collected from, personally I prefer the Vanuatu variation.
I assume the Solon is the Red Head (C. aquamarinus) if so, I would cross this off of the list whilst you explore wrasses - ideally they are to be added last and you never know what wrasses you’ll find along the way.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Angels and 4 foot tanks are fine - as I said in the last thread I had mine in there (I’ve had 2 Regals, one I technically still have it’s just not in my tank and is at the LFS I work at).

Foxfaces are a hard one to answer, I personally say they’re fine with 4’x2’ tanks but I also only really keep the “odd” species which are generally smaller (I’ve had Magnificent, Tongan Black and currently have Bicolour and Scribbled, I plan for another Magnificus). I’ve not personally kept Vulpinus or Unimaculatus but in LFSs I have had them in coral trays. They don’t get as big as fast. Tangs are always faster growing than Foxfaces and Rabbitfish are IME.

The magnificent and tongan black mix I had were in my 4’ tank. The main thing I found that may have been an issue to some people was the two foxfaces looked big in the tank.
IMG_8918.jpeg

Wrasse wise, I currently have a lot (I think I counted 15 altogether currently not including what I plan for or have sitting at the LFS) and have had a fair amount for the last 3-4 years now. I personally love the oddball species (Pseudocoris yamashiroi, Pseudojuloides species, Certain Paracheilinus/Cirrhilabrus species).

C. isosceles is one that I used to own, I have had 2-3 that I lost for various reasons (my last one being old age). I definitely think it’s one to go for and one to add earlier rather than later as they are a shy species.
C. exquisitus is another great one! The only downside to them is they’re highly variational depending on the region they’re collected from, personally I prefer the Vanuatu variation.
I assume the Solon is the Red Head (C. aquamarinus) if so, I would cross this off of the list whilst you explore wrasses - ideally they are to be added last and you never know what wrasses you’ll find along the way.
As far as foxface then I’ll probably just pass, especially if it lets me keep more wrasses. Solon is the red head I saw it listed as solorensis guess its name changed.

So let’s say I want the regal angel, a dwarf angel, butterflyfish (not sure on species yet, like copperband pearlscale latticed spotband). No foxface, and most likely if not certainly no yellow tang. Not sure if I can have more than 1 butterfly but I think not.

Then with those 3 being the only “big” fish besides wrasses, would you add both an exquisite and isosceles? Considering someone above did mention isosceles can be shy, Or just 1. In my initial research both are ok together in general. I’m aware of exquisite geographical variation I like the bluer Fiji variety the most but I’d be sure to buy this one with that in mind.

And then would you do 1 or 2 flasher wrasse, and 1 or 2 of the radiant/melanurus/canary group? I assume the answer is best to do 1 of each especially if 2 fairy wrasse also. I will be buying them all in person. For bioload constraint im going to be going bigger vs smaller on the fleece roller and skimmer, the biggest I can fit, with hopefully at least a reg to large sized sump.

On the smaller possum and pink streak, I can keep them in my smaller tank or trade them in before I move, but I’m ok not seeing them a lot as long as they would be ok aggression wise. Sounds best to keep in different system though.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Then any butterfly would pretty much work. Lots to choose from!

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxfaxes: the magnificent is 6 going on 7 inches now, the bi color (recently added) is about 4 inches. Gemma (the naso tang) is about 6 or so inches and Francis (sailfin) is about 7/8 or so inches right now for reference. This is my 300 gallon

Attachments

• IMG_6615.jpeg
    IMG_6615.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6618.jpeg
    IMG_6618.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6625.jpeg
    IMG_6625.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6624.jpeg
    IMG_6624.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for wrasse @Slocke is another good one to ask since you got @i cant think in the thread already! Ive got two wrasses, a sixline in my biocube and thus big dude in my 300 gallon

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6616.jpeg
    IMG_6616.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxfaxes: the magnificent is 6 going on 7 inches now, the bi color (recently added) is about 4 inches. Gemma (the naso tang) is about 6 or so inches and Francis (sailfin) is about 7/8 or so inches right now for reference. This is my 300 gallon
Beautiful big fish, I can definitely understand avoiding them in a 4 ft. Love them all and the marine betta too

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for wrasse @Slocke is another good one to ask since you got @i cant think in the thread already! Ive got two wrasses, a sixline in my biocube and thus big dude in my 300 gallon
Thank you! I love that wrasse. Sixline / mystery wrasse make me nervous and I want fairy most of all wrasses so I think I have to pass on them. Feel free to correct me here wrasse experts haha.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back