Wrasse War?

Bacon and Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 x 2 x 2 ft tank

I have a male bimac anthia with 2 females. What are the chances I can maintain my peaceful tank if I were to add a male lyretail also along with 2 females (adding the 3 lyretails simultaneously)?

I would prefer comments be based on real experience. I’ve read a few threads on the matter. Just researching some options.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s so many other ways to word that question. Something like “male aggression” comes to mind lolol

But to answer the question on sensoring, because kids.

And for the other question I have no experience.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was bleeped out in the beginning as well. Didn't know the rules yet. Wasn't too bad, what I said but I figured out quickly this was considered a family friendly site. One could argue that teenagers are far worse than adults, but there are individuals out there that wouldn't let their kids on if they saw even this thread title. I've known a few personally. Great people, just a different belief system. So this is the way around it. For me it's kinda tough, cause I'm VERY rough around the edges and swear at any given opportunity. But the owner has made a decision and I shall comply. I just have to modify my communication to fit the standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the subject of this thread but the title goes against our TOS. There are ways to ask the questions you wish to ask without inflammatory verbiage. Thank you for understanding and I'll open this back up for now. Please let's get this back on topic.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we somehow circled back to the question. Reading similar prior threads, the knee jerk response is to say one male per tank, but with unanswered questions. Namely, is this just species specific rule? Do male anthias above the species level show significant lasting aggression or can they co-habitate together in a 6 ft tank. Wrasse lovers?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 x 2 x 2 ft tank

I have a male bimac anthia with 2 females. What are the chances I can maintain my peaceful tank if I were to add a male lyretail also along with 2 females (adding the 3 lyretails simultaneously)?

I would prefer comments be based on real experience. I’ve read a few threads on the matter. Just researching some options.
No personal experience from me, but the experiences I recall reading with mixed Anthias shoals haven't had problems, so I'd guess you'd be fine as long as you have enough food and hiding spaces for each fish.
I have 10 Anthias in a 108. 3 x Bimac, 5 x Bartlett, 2 x Randall in that order of dominance. The latter came as both male but live happily together in whatever cave the rest allow them to. It’s been a year and I still have only one male each in the two other groups. The Bimac male is dominant but works with the Bartlett male to keep all others in check. I feed two cubes of frozen mysis twice a day and am yet to lose an Anthias outside of two jumpers I had prior to buying a lid. I tried adding an auto feeder with pellets to increase feeding times, but after a few near disasters with way too much food dumping in I resorted back to just twice a day frozen. I’m not advocating feeding so Infrequently, just noting that it’s working well for my little mixed shoal.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience from me, but the experiences I recall reading with mixed Anthias shoals haven't had problems, so I'd guess you'd be fine as long as you have enough food and hiding spaces for each fish.
Thanks, I might go that route. I’m in need of more active swimmers in the water column. No tangs or angels for me, prefer mostly smaller fish. Looking to be more wrasse and anthia heavy. I think I’ll get another trio of anthias.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I might go that route. I’m in need of more active swimmers in the water column. No tangs or angels for me, prefer mostly smaller fish. Looking to be more wrasse and anthia heavy. I think I’ll get another trio of anthias.
Let us know how it goes if you do - it'd be good info for other curious reefers.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will. Besides just being curious, one of the reasons I was asking was the need for more active swimmers. Besides the bimacs, a lot of my captives are benthic dwellers and then I remembered this guy.

1725130501121.png

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back