Lyretail anthias aggression

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My reef tank has 350 liters (90g). Among other fish (listed below), I have one female lyretail anthiasince 6 months ago. Recently, about a week ago, I got a pair, a male and a female, so that I would have two females and one male (to coexist as a harem). However, the older female anthia did not accept the newly introduced male, and in addition to fighting, she started turning completely dark and is likely transforming into a male. What should I do? Should I remove one of them? Add a new female? Is it a reversible process? Can a female anthias, in the process of sex change, revert back to being female?

Other fishes:
Tangs: sailfin, hepatus, Kole blue eye
Wrasse: whip fin
2 ocellaris
2 cardinal banggai

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A8DF5D7E-ED32-438E-9C83-CC175504010D.jpeg

Sharkey18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove one of the males and sell it. If not they will fight and both could die. I'd keep the one the female is attached to.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No they can only change female to male and it can not be reversed

I just dealt with this and added a male and female pair. Only anthias in the tank. The female was slightly larger. And dominant. And started changing, harassing and chasing the male relentlessly. Would force him to hide inside corals, or lay on the sand submissively.

Eventually they did work it out. It’s complex and adding more female could help your situation but could make it worse

Supposed to add all at once with one male, or add all female at once and allow one to convert male

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove one of the males and sell it. If not they will fight and both could die. I'd keep the one the female is attached to.
Thank you very much for the response. That’s my fear! The female hasn’t chosen either of the two males… the male that’s being attacked is still doing well, eating and managing to defend himself to some extent, so I’ll keep an eye on things for a few more days to decide which one I should remove.

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they can only change female to male and it can not be reversed

I just dealt with this and added a male and female pair. Only anthias in the tank. The female was slightly larger. And dominant. And started changing, harassing and chasing the male relentlessly. Would force him to hide inside corals, or lay on the sand submissively.

Eventually they did work it out. It’s complex and adding more female could help your situation but could make it worse

Supposed to add all at once with one male, or add all female at once and allow one to convert male
Thank you for the response! It's so good to know that another aquarist went through the same problem and is willing to help another aquarist.

I'm really passionate about anthias and want to have more in my aquarium. I’ll wait a few days before deciding which one to remove and observe.

I might remove both males and add a few females, allowing one of them to become the male like you said. (BTW, among anthias, the one I find most beautiful is the male lyretail).

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s likely that the female you had already in the tank was already starting to transition and the new additions sped up the process.

I typically either add them all at once OR I add the male first and then a bunch of females at once.

I would recommend removing all of them and taking one of the males back to the LFS and then add the female and male back along with more anthias all at once if you want more.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you for the response! It's so good to know that another aquarist went through the same problem and is willing to help another aquarist.

I'm really passionate about anthias and want to have more in my aquarium. I’ll wait a few days before deciding which one to remove and observe.

I might remove both males and add a few females, allowing one of them to become the male like you said. (BTW, among anthias, the one I find most beautiful is the male lyretail).

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely that the female you had already in the tank was already starting to transition and the new additions sped up the process.

I typically either add them all at once OR I add the male first and then a bunch of females at once.

I would recommend removing all of them and taking one of the males back to the LFS and then add the female and male back along with more anthias all at once if you want more.
That's a good strategy! There's no lyretail at my LFS right now. I'll have to order others … thank you!

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was told just to get all females and whichever is biggest/dominant will transition

In my case I added a male and female and the female was barely larger, and she still became dominant and started transitioning despite presence of a male

Everything is ok now but it was a rough few weeks for my male. If I did this again I would get all female. One will naturally become the male and be dominant

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told just to get all females and whichever is biggest/dominant will transition

In my case I added a male and female and the female was barely larger, and she still became dominant and started transitioning despite presence of a male

Everything is ok now but it was a rough few weeks for my male. If I did this again I would get all female. One will naturally become the male and be dominant
Thank you so much!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back