0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 150 gallon tank set up with a 1.5 inch sand bed

My current wrasse stocking is:
Yellow Coris Wrasse X 1
Ornate Leopard Wrasse X 1
Blue Streaked Cleaner Wrasse X 1

The fish that I’m getting soon is:
Male Carpenter Flasher Wrasse X 1

So I did some digging around and found out that flasher wrasse are best kept with a few other flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse

So I have the options of getting possibly 2 more wrasses (ALL MALES) if my tank allows and the options are:

1) Earmuff Wrasse (Halichoeres Melasmapomus)
2) Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Naoko)
3) Blue Throated Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Cyanogularis)
4) Royal Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus Angulatus)
5) Redfin Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Rubripinnis)

Could you guys help me choose two more wrasses from here that would go well with the existing wrasses that I have and also will help retain and improve the carpenters colour as it flashes throughout the day.

I know that there are wrasses that change genders but do the earmuffs change genders as well? Let’s say I get a juvenile and it’s a female, will it turn into a male as it grows up due to a lack of any other females? Or will I have to get a confirmed male if I want one?

TIA

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my six line was a stand up citizen, helping old ladies cross the street for the first 5 months…

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my six line was a stand up citizen, helping old ladies cross the street for the first 5 months…
The six line wrasse I had was the devil of the aquarium, it basically attacked every fish in the aquarium and also any hands that went near it :/ it’s a pretty fish tho

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 150 gallon tank set up with a 1.5 inch sand bed

My current wrasse stocking is:
Yellow Coris Wrasse X 1
Ornate Leopard Wrasse X 1
Blue Streaked Cleaner Wrasse X 1

The fish that I’m getting soon is:
Male Carpenter Flasher Wrasse X 1

So I did some digging around and found out that flasher wrasse are best kept with a few other flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse

So I have the options of getting possibly 2 more wrasses (ALL MALES) if my tank allows and the options are:

1) Earmuff Wrasse (Halichoeres Melasmapomus)
2) Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Naoko)
3) Blue Throated Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Cyanogularis)
4) Royal Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus Angulatus)
5) Redfin Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Rubripinnis)

Could you guys help me choose two more wrasses from here that would go well with the existing wrasses that I have and also will help retain and improve the carpenters colour as it flashes throughout the day.

I know that there are wrasses that change genders but do the earmuffs change genders as well? Let’s say I get a juvenile and it’s a female, will it turn into a male as it grows up due to a lack of any other females? Or will I have to get a confirmed male if I want one?

TIA
Just a quick question, why do you want them all to be males? Every single wrasse on your list will transition at some point.

Now, into the compatibility;
Remove either Rubripinnis or Cyanogularis, they don’t do well together and will fight.
Naokoae may be on the boisterous side for your other wrasses unless added last.

What is your overall stocking? Knowing the wrasse side is good but knowing everything is best - we get a thorough idea of what other fish you have and what will work. I find many flashers (especially the royals) hate being added after the tangs establish as they can be outcompeted.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I really like how the males look, that’s pretty much the main part heheh and also I’ve heard that if you keep a few male wrasses then they are going to stay more vibrant, especially the flasher and the fairy

Oh even the earmuff will transition to a male? I currently have a yellow Coris and an ornate leopard wrasse will those transition to males as well? I also find this very fascinating haha

Well then I’ll keep either the blue throat or the red fin which is what I was hoping to do for the most part because they are kinda similar. Which one do you like more? I might go with that hehe. I’ll keep that in mind about the naoko and I’ll add that at last if I do then

Well right now the fish I have other than the wrasses are:
Clownfish x 2
Purple firefish x 1
Chromis x 6
One spot Foxface x 1
Tomini tang x 1
Blue tang x 1
Yellow Coris wrasse x 1
Ornate leopard wrasse x 1
Blue streaked cleaner wrasse x 1
The fish that I have but is in quarantine at the store:
Long nose hawkfish x 1
Royal gramma x 1
Midas blenny x 1
Carpenter Wrasse x 1

I’m planning on getting:
Desjardini tang x 1
Yellow tang x 1
Purple tang x 1
Pyramid Angelfish x 1

It’s a 60 inch long 150 gallon tank that I have and it will probably be softie and lps dominated and very few sps corals just because I really like the fact that these corals are so much easier to keep and also because of the movement

I know the blue and the desjardini tang in specific will get pretty big so I plan on swapping those out with smaller ones as they grow out and I’ll probably do the same with any other tang as well.
Once I get all the tangs I don’t think I’ll be keeping the one spot Foxface just to free up some space in the tank. I mainly have him to give a pop of the yellow (as an alternative to the yellow tang).
Also all the fish that come into the country are almost always very small in size (only a few inches) as with the fish in my tank as well, so I don’t think it should be too big of a problem with the stocking. I’ll take out the Foxface first and maybe even the chromis if I’m having problems.
I also have an oversized skimmer so I believe it will give me some flexibility on stocking as well.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back