What is your Most desired fish if Hawaii Ban is lifted?

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather pay $100 for a beautiful wild caught tang then $175 for a semi-transparent off looking wimp.
Aquacultured fish are smaller on arrival, but they grow quickly and are just like wild caught tang, except since they're bred and raised in captivity, they're better used to aquariums and prepared foods. Some customers with more aggressive fish keep the new fish in an acclimation box for a time when they first arrive.

We often post videos and pictures from customers who have our fish, showing that they grow up quickly to be beautiful pets: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/6RqPp2gyMNwkd7Se/

corosato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather pay $100 for a beautiful wild caught tang then $175 for a semi-transparent off looking wimp.
IMG_1014.jpeg

Came in small and translucent. Was colored up within a few weeks and has been growing steady. Don’t regret the purchase in the least.

Hawaii hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacultured fish are smaller on arrival, but they grow quickly and are just like wild caught tang, except since they're bred and raised in captivity, they're better used to aquariums and prepared foods. Some customers with more aggressive fish keep the new fish in an acclimation box for a time when they first arrive.

We often post videos and pictures from customers who have our fish, showing that they grow up quickly to be beautiful pets: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/6RqPp2gyMNwkd7Se/
You can’t help yourself, can you?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how they are the wild too. It’s just no one ever was catching the early juveniles to sell since they wanted the older already bright yellow ones.

I prefer choices.

No one is saying the ban is good - but trashing CB just because you prefer wild caught is disingenuous. The last couple years of Biota Releases have been perfectly indistinguishable.

I’m not sure why it’s so hard for people to say they prefer wild caught without trying to defame a reputable source for captive bred.

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That’s how they are the wild too. It’s just no one ever was catching the early juveniles to sell since they wanted the older already bright yellow ones.

No one is saying the ban is good - but trashing CB just because you prefer wild caught is disingenuous. The last couple years of Biota Releases have been perfectly indistinguishable.

I’m not sure why it’s so hard for people to say they prefer wild caught without trying to defame a reputable source for captive bred.

Nobody is trashing anybody, not sure where that came from.

I've seen juveniles at Absolutely Fish in NJ before the ban and they did not look like what is currently being offered - that's all. They were small and $30 a piece but my tank was not going to be finished then.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is trashing anybody, not sure where that came from.

I've seen juveniles at Absolutely Fish in NJ before the ban and they did not look like what is currently being offered - that's all. They were small and $30 a piece but my tank was not going to be finished then.
Those were not as small as Biota which are sold at 1.25-1.5”. You know how I know they weren’t that small? Because by all accounts I’ve known with Hawaii fish collectors, it was illegal to collect any of them under 2”. The ones biota sells at 2-2.5” are all yellow already (although more expensive since they have to keep them longer and feed them longer).

If you were able to find a small collection of just developed yellow tangs from being fry in the ocean, you’d be able to observe this too. It’s just the facts. Pretty much all light colored fish are translucent as fry.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lucky you guys can even fight over captive vs wild. In some countries imported captive bred are flat out banned making yellow tangs as rare as rocking horse dust. I'd be more then happy with a healthy captive bred if ment getting one as a pet! And probably far cheaper then wild non Hawaiian yellows. as well it ment helping with a sustainable future and if the breeders gave back to the wild reefs.

I'd love to see yellow eye koles as well but the imitation ones are still nice, but seasonal. Generally only see them for sale around Christmas time here.

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely not sure why anyone would prefer a wild-cought specimen over captive bread. What am I missing?? The genetics are the same. Given enough time, the fish will mature from juveniles to full adult size and coloration in our tanks given proper husbandry. With he added benefit of watching and learning their development.

I’ve been in this hobby more than 20 years and have learned a lot. In the early days of just buying fish cheaply and half of them dying in our tanks never felt right. I currently have a captive bread regal Angel, gold flake Angel, and right now have a juvenile potters angel in an acclamation box (thanks biota for your hard work!) Every time they turn out perfectly. And I get observe the maturation process. I also have three captive bread yellow tangs introduced at the same time and each has grown from 1.5 inches to approximately 4 inches in six months; you cannot tell the difference from those $10 wild tangs we used to buy the 1990s. I also have two captive bred chalk bass as well as two mandarins that when I introduced them were smaller than my finger nail. In two years they are a mated pair with the male close to 3 inches.

Personally, I cannot wait for every fish to have a captive bred option. I am willing to pay more for this privilege. Ethically it’s the right decision. I’m willing to hear arguments why it’s not.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0239.mov
    112.7 MB
  • IMG_0644.jpeg
    IMG_0644.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 42

Hawaii hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely not sure why anyone would prefer a wild-cought specimen over captive bread. What am I missing?? The genetics are the same. Given enough time, the fish will mature from juveniles to full adult size and coloration in our tanks given proper husbandry. With he added benefit of watching and learning their development.

I’ve been in this hobby more than 20 years and have learned a lot. In the early days of just buying fish cheaply and half of them dying in our tanks never felt right. I currently have a captive bread regal Angel, gold flake Angel, and right now have a juvenile potters angel in an acclamation box (thanks biota for your hard work!) Every time they turn out perfectly. And I get observe the maturation process. I also have three captive bread yellow tangs introduced at the same time and each has grown from 1.5 inches to approximately 4 inches in six months; you cannot tell the difference from those $10 wild tangs we used to buy the 1990s. I also have two captive bred chalk bass as well as two mandarins that when I introduced them were smaller than my finger nail. In two years they are a mated pair with the male close to 3 inches.

Personally, I cannot wait for every fish to have a captive bred option. I am willing to pay more for this privilege. Ethically it’s the right decision. I’m willing to hear arguments why it’s not.
With all due respect this attitude will be the undoing of this hobby. It’s an uninformed POV that lacks the true understanding of this sustainable fishery, what that means for the trade overall, and the hobby as well. Another reason you’re are clearly missing is egg production. Aquaculture needs a constant supply of eggs from wild fish. This fishery folds, it’s gonna send shockwaves through the world and the very aquariums you and I both keep will ultimately be in jeopardy. Ask anyone in the know and they’ll back my perspective. I’ve been fighting the fight for not only this fishery but this hobby for years. So many hobbyists have no clue that they are supporting their own undoing

@Eric Cohen

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaculture needs a constant supply of eggs from wild fish.
Are they not breeding the fish in-house (hence the bred in captive bred)? Also, I'm not sure why sides are being demanded to be picked. Having both seems like a great idea since there's many fish that are both sold wild and sold as captive bred to choose from.

I don't buy the notion Yellow Tangs will magically be $30 again though - that's been my whole point (along with correcting the misinformation in here that the CB are inferior in aesthetics or behavior than wild caught that's been repeated here). They'll be priced just as much as all other tangs that are wild caught. Recent inflation has just made lots of things double in price (when those Tangs were 5x cheaper, so was gas and my electricity bill, and even milk and eggs!

Last edited:

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect this attitude will be the undoing of this hobby. It’s an uninformed POV that lacks the true understanding of this sustainable fishery, what that means for the trade overall, and the hobby as well. Another reason you’re are clearly missing is egg production. Aquaculture needs a constant supply of eggs from wild fish. This fishery folds, it’s gonna send shockwaves through the world and the very aquariums you and I both keep will ultimately be in jeopardy. Ask anyone in the know and they’ll back my perspective. I’ve been fighting the fight for not only this fishery but this hobby for years. So many hobbyists have no clue that they are supporting their own undoing

@Eric Cohen
Just a reminder that this poster has a financial interest in this topic.

He positions himself as a grass roots guardian of the hobby but he’s got money on the table. Would make a great politician.

In terms of @Biota_Marine tangs looking transparent and frail…well I just saw @alton posted his biota yellows and they look pretty darn good to me!

1724302345762.jpeg

Last edited:

Laughterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tang, they sell on this stage in South Africa for a small fortune, R6000,00 if you can find them.

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I do have a fair share of what I assume is ORA AC fish.

Not specific to yellow tang or Biota but I have seen plenty of AC fish at Petco that are either malformed or have malformed mouths. I don't know their source but plenty of AC Striped Blenny's have a weird mouth defects quite often.

I'll say I'm happy that you and others can provide aqua cultured fish but given a choice I will almost always pick a wild-caught specimens.

There is no need to persuade me otherwise.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’s the real difference besides getting to say they’re from hawaii? (genuinely curious)
There is none

Captive bred is better in every way

Starting smaller is a great way to have fish get along when they're older.

If you could get a bunch of aggressive tangs as youngsters and have them in the tank together, your chances of them getting along as adults is astronomically higher

I know the biota yellow tangs are expensive, but mine grew by 3-4x in about a year and is a model citizen with the kole tang in my 120g.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back