• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

The Rok Citi Coralz Growout Extraviganza!!!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This growout is going to take years with how many chalices are in this thing. I wish I still lived in NJ for this.

i wish you would of been able to go with me it was amazing i have never seen so many chalices in one tank and he is a really nice guy wehave to plan a trip down there with all of use and make a day out of it and then stop at that pet place ittheworlds largest pet store they havealot of stuff he also thru in a free frag of his glow fingers i forgot to take a pic of it ill get it tonight when i get home

I am not a fan of That Fish Place's selection livestock wise. For every 1 healthy coral, there are 5 unhealthy right next to it. However, you cannot beat their dry good prices.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

lps1212

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ither way I would love to check out that place too see for myself I did enjoy something fishy like I said before nice store. The JF trip would be worth wild just to be in chalice heaven :bigsmile:

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I thought to myself, man what a slow week. Nothing to report, nothing happening in my tank. So boring. One thing I did have to report was bad news and I hated having to do an update with bad news so I waited a couple of days before writing it down. But I just took a quick peek at some pieces in our growout and have some good news to add to the bad. Okay, bad news first. The doomsday chalice is only one eye:sad:. The second one I thought was growing was actually just my optimistic attitude. Another bit of bad news but nothing big is that the orange immolation lost a little color:sad:. It's still eating every night and actually showing some good growth but I thought it best to put it under shade. Okay, now for the good news. Jai's Tec wm is growing a 4th eye. The wwc which is a great eater and grower now has 8 eyes. ANd for the best news of all the My miami is showing nice growth and is sprouting 4 new eyes:tongue:!!! I'm in total shock! That's it, no more secret juice. No more steroids! These chalices are out of control, lol. Bill or Jai are going to have to swing by soon and take some top down pics because my photos aren't showing the entire chalice pieces, so you guys are only seeing half the picture. Anyway, I didn't look closely at the others but in the next couple of days I'll check them. Next week I'll be doing a full photo and quick summary update to keep you guys informed. That's it for now and have a good night.

AS
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news guys. I tried my best to bring the goku back to health and it was actually growing two itsy bitsy eyes but now it is on the decline again. I'm going to test my water tomorrow again, just in case but I think it was just too small. It looks like it lost more mass and looks like it did a couple of weeks ago. I'll keep an eye on it but I used to have a pink ******* booger that looked like it and it finally succumbed to death. All we can do is hope it turns around.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks on the goku man but it was a booger to begin with compared to other frags I sure do hope you can bring that one back Frank it was one of my favs just cause of it brite color

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goku wasn't too big but we were only charged $40 for it. Unfortunately it didn't do well in shipping so it lost half it's mass and ended up being tiny. I was able to get it back up in mass and it started growing eyes but it's fighting right now to stay alive. It's still eating so there is a chance. just need to do smaller water changes and watch my numbers. can't have any big swings. Others are very very slow growers so small frags are the only way to cut. If they were cut as big frags, it would take years to spread among the community. I'd rather take a chance with a smaller frag then wait a bunch of months for it to grow larger. Like in the case of the convict and orange immolation. Convict is small and hasn't grown at all. that's just one example of a super slow grower. There are plenty out there and usually they are the more expensive and rare chalices of all.

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like in the case of the convict and orange immolation. Convict is small and hasn't grown at all. that's just one example of a super slow grower. There are plenty out there and usually they are the more expensive and rare chalices of all.[/QUOTE]

yep but to me well worth the time and money.

Nutramar Foods

lps1212

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after Frank told me we only spent 40 on the goku it calmed me down a bit but still i hope it pulls threw no matter if we spent 40 or 200 its a nice piece and one of my favorites only time will tell

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The My miami looks like it's growing 3-4 new eyes but is still so small that I'm sure a couple of those eyes are going to merge. The rainbow magic looks like it's growing a second eye but it's so small, you can't see it with the naked eye. It only makes itself apparent when it eats at night. The Goku is looking better and has 2-3 super small eyes. I can feed it so even though it looks bad on some days, there is hope it will pull through. ANother good sign is that I could see tiny specks of blue forming, so it's developing too. The strawberry orange sherbert has turned almost completely pink and is growing very fast. It has 5 or 6 small eyes and eats like a pig. The bahama mama is now starting to spread on the plug and I'm waiting for new eyes to start popping up. It currently has 5 eyes. The orange immolation is eating and growing but lost a little color so it's sitting in the shade next to convict. Very little growth on the convict but it remains healthy and is also eating. The tiger lily look alike is growing slowly but as you know, added a second eye and that one is developed and eating as well. The doomsday has colored up nicely and is growing slowly, I expect good things from it now that it's getting bigger. The arc wanted, gold rush and a couple of others are eating and growing slowly but no new eyes to report. Matrix is colored up nicely but a slow grower. Tec watermelon has that new eye forming and is eating and growing well. Sexy corals rainbow party is also eating and doing well. The JC orange sherbert started to eat and is looking good but growth has been minimal. The setting sun is still settling in and not eating but healthy and beautiful. Because it doesn't eat, I'm not sure about it's growth rate and won't be able to speed it up. The pink fame eats and is growing better but still only one eye and small. The coral fantatics flamethrower and Wwc sub zero wm are eating well and growing well as usual. The Disco inferno is sitting in the shade after it losing some color and is not eating. I haven't tried to feed it yet, the eye is at an angle and it's difficult to feed. The Golden Banshee that Jai added is taking a long time to heal. It eats well on some nights and others it doesn't eat at all. It's trying to grow in the second eye but struggling along because it's trying to heal at the same time. Once it is fully healed, it's growth and eating patterns will improve. There are two freebie watermelons (crazy swirl and purple) but both don't eat and are slow growers. The favias are both showing good growth and growing new eyes, both are great eaters. One of the freebie zoas Ktar gave us didn't make it. That is our first loss of the growout :( The other freebie zoa is doing well (peach color) and freebie acans also are doing well. Not sure if I missed any but I will be doing a complet photo update this week, maybe today if I get the chance. I'll post some numbers later after I test. Bill is supposed to swing by later and check out the tank. Take care, Frank.

Last edited:

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great report Frank, very detailed and informitive. nuIm tryinlast mig to figure out when were leaving. My wife had a last minute e-mail today that a high end client want to have a quick meeting. The meeting is at 1pm so I wouldnt get to your place till 2-230. I have to stop at John first to pick up Fusion wm, and raging rivers.

BRS
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following is a complete photo update of each individual chalice, with names and current conditions, including eye count.

Dnov's Setting Sun

2 eyes, not eating yet. Notice the different pattern towards the back end of the piece. Incredible piece. Almost like 2 or 3 chalices were fused together. Has characteristics of the convict in it.

144.jpg

Ktar Convict several small eyes stable, great color, eats a little, very slow growth. vivid green with purple stripes and orange spots.

123.jpg

My Miami very healthy eater, beautiful colors and healthy. Several eyes growing (about 7-8), though a couple are close together and may merge into one.

098-1.jpg

Matrix healthy, good eater, 2 eyes and the colors have really grown in. Still more to come on this beauty.

092-1.jpg

Arc Wanted lost a little bit of color, slow growth, good eater and only 1 eye (thought some red was another eye but was mistaken).

124.jpg

Doomsday small, one eye, slow grower, coloring up nicely. This is another piece that will be special when it gets bigger and colors up more.

129.jpg

Rainbow Magic One big chunk of an eye, Very nice colors, good growth and a great eater.

087-1.jpg

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bahama mama 5 eyes, starting to spread out nicely, great eater.

003-3.jpg

crazy swirl watermelon super slow growth, doesn't eat, one eye
130.jpg

Golden Banashee still healing up but good eater and growing in a second eye
125.jpg

Doomsday small one eye, good eater, slow growth, nice colors
129.jpg

Sexy corals pink fame small, one eye, good eater, decent growth
107.jpg

Wwc Subzero Watermelon 7-8 eyes, great eater, good growth
048-1.jpg

coral Fanatics flame thrower good growth, several eyes, eats well every night

047-3.jpg

Gold rush 2 eyes, good eater, decent growth
046-2.jpg

Tiger lily look alike 2 eyes, both eating, slow growth
045-2.jpg

Orange Immolation small, one eye, lost a little color so sitting in the shade, good eater, decent growth
024-2.jpg

Disco Inferno One eye, nice sized piece, still adjusting and sitting in the shade. not eating yet.
023-1.jpg

FnF Goku Very tiny, 2 teeny tiny eyes, receded a little last week but looks healthier now. Starting to show some blue
016-1.jpg

Strawberry orange sherbert 5-6 eyes, developed a nice pinkish and green color, great eater and good growth
008-1.jpg

TEC watermelon 4 eyes, growing and eating well
004-2.jpg

Jc cigars sherbert 2 eyes, nice color, starting to eat and slow growth

001-5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
group shots. Sexy corals favias, rainbow party chalice and freebie watermelon which are included in the growout can be seen in the groupshots. they had to be seperated due to long sweeping tentacles. Some of my personal pieces are in the mixed photos but not in the growout.

141.jpg

135.jpg

083-1.jpg

081.jpg

080-1.jpg

068-1.jpg

066.jpg

059.jpg

057-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

lps1212

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos Frank really glad with the update I don't think this group could have gotten a better grower bro those Gems look insane :tongue: I know the banshee will come around and the fnf goku will pull through :wink: see you this Thursday bud and on another note Nice Pick Up There Bill

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos Frank really glad with the update I don't think this group could have gotten a better grower bro those Gems look insane :tongue: I know the banshee will come around and the fnf goku will pull through :wink: see you this Thursday bud and on another note Nice Pick Up There Bill

Thanks Jai and I'll see you on Thursday! It was good to see Bill today too.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back