The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

BRS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know. :rolleyes:
I feel it is the abundance of pathogens in my tank but it could be the pictures of Supermodels I have on the walls. :cool:

Notice the date on that picture 1986. Thats how long I have that picture. I am not a Perv. I like to look at pretty girls, nice looking fish, insects, buildings, paintings etc and I will never apologize for it. :rolleyes:

I know its impossible to 'know'. My guess is that you're correct - it is just as likely the supermodel as the live food:) Glad your surgery went well

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MnFish. that is not true. We have gone over this many times. Fish and everything else acquire immunity after being infected by it.

Mucosal immunity was investigated in the skin transcriptome of E. coioides infested with Cryptocaryon irritans and revealed a multitude of upregulated genes that suggested an activated local immune response

The suggestion that I have not added Ich, velvet etc to my tank is 47 years is ludicrous. I have always stated that a home freezer is not cold enough to kill pathogens. Commercial food is frozen much colder. I think LRS foods freeze at 27 degrees below zero. I also feed fresh clams but they don't last long so I freeze them.
In the summer I dump in 5 gallon buckets of mud, amphipods, snails and anything I find on a muddy tide pool. Would you or could you do that in your tank?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much of that article was about vaccinating food fish. We don't vaccinate our fish but we could. Vaccinated fish is the same as feeding those organisms to the fish.

Anyway, I always said this was my "Theory" No one has toagree with it. But also very few people keep fish as long as I do. :rolleyes:

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MnFish. that is not true. We have gone over this many times. Fish and everything else acquire immunity after being infected by it.

The suggestion that I have not added Ich, velvet etc to my tank is 47 years is ludicrous. I have always stated that a home freezer is not cold enough to kill pathogens. Commercial food is frozen much colder. I think LRS foods freeze at 27 degrees below zero. I also feed fresh clams but they don't last long so I freeze them.
In the summer I dump in 5 gallon buckets of mud, amphipods, snails and anything I find on a muddy tide pool. Would you or could you do that in your tank?

You didnt quote what I said that 'wasnt true'. So Im not sure to what your referring. Of course organisms (fish.mammals, etc)only become immune after being exposed to he pathogen. However. Feeding a fish xxxxx. does not make it immune to yyyy. Feeding a fish parasite xxxx does not make it immune to bacteria yyyy - and vice versa. Again - there is a difference between a pathogen - and a bacteria - you seem to use the terms interchangeable. Same for 'parasite' and 'bacteria'. They are different.

Secondly - there is a difference between killing a 'bacterial pathogen' and a 'parasitic pathogen' in a freezer. Its widely assumed that CI and velvet are killed by freezing.

Third - I never suggested that you haven't added CI to your tank in 47 years. What is said is that when you added the fish with CI - there was no magic present in your tank that prevented its death - it was either going to live or die. I said that the reason that the fish in your tank surivived had more to do with their overall health than the fact that you feed food with bacteria in it vs frozen/pellets/flake, etc.

There is no reason to think that you are adding CI to your tank in fresh or frozen food.

The answer is - no I wouldn't do that - (dump the bucket) because I have no evidence that it makes a difference - besides the amphopods/etc that could be used as food. If you're not collecting your bucket of stuff from a tropical location - its unlikely that its doing anything beneficial. Depending on the size of the tank - its probably also not doing anything detrimental.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always stated that a home freezer is not cold enough to kill pathogens.

Different home freezers have different settings - I can set mine anywhere from -20 to 0 (F). Again - are you talking about 'pathogens' which an extremely broad term (ie. a fluke is a pathogen, CI is a pathogen, Vibrio is a pathogen). I have also said repeatedly - that bacteria frozen once and then thawed are unlikely all to be killed - but a percentage are. The more times you freeze thaw something the more likely that the bacteria is killed.

BTW - Killed things can also act as a 'vaccine' he Flu vaccine is (for most people) killed. But - you cant swallow the flu vaccine. Again - there is no evidence that the clams/live food you feed contain the specific pathogens that you're trying to immunize against. That said - feeding excellent foods (which you are) will certainly help the immune system. Whether that food is better than a highly nutritious pellet - I doubt it.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different home freezers have different settings - I can set mine anywhere from -20 to 0 (F). Again - are you talking about 'pathogens' which an extremely broad term (ie. a fluke is a pathogen, CI is a pathogen, Vibrio is a pathogen). I have also said repeatedly - that bacteria frozen once and then thawed are unlikely all to be killed - but a percentage are. The more times you freeze thaw something the more likely that the bacteria is killed.

BTW - Killed things can also act as a 'vaccine' he Flu vaccine is (for most people) killed. But - you cant swallow the flu vaccine. Again - there is no evidence that the clams/live food you feed contain the specific pathogens that you're trying to immunize against. That said - feeding excellent foods (which you are) will certainly help the immune system. Whether that food is better than a highly nutritious pellet - I doubt it.
So why do you think Paul appears to have success that few seem able to replicate? as adding the mud etc and feed the gut of clams etc seems to be the main thing he does different, don’t most reefers feed good quality food including both frozen shrimp and good quality pellets? That appears to be a flaw in your argument..

Corals.com
U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
I really don't know. :rolleyes:
I feel it is the abundance of pathogens in my tank but it could be the pictures of Supermodels I have on the walls. :cool:

Notice the date on that picture 1986. Thats how long I have that picture. I am not a Perv. I like to look at pretty girls, nice looking fish, insects, buildings, paintings etc and I will never apologize for it. :rolleyes:

At my last base they had everyone remove all pin up girls, and men, swimsuit models, etc. Not allowed...

Not looking forward to when China makes a place for Taiwan. I don't think we are ready for anything like that with the current PC culture.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why do you think Paul appears to have success that few seem able to replicate? as adding the mud etc and feed the gut of clams etc seems to be the main thing he does different, don’t most reefers feed good quality food including both frozen shrimp and good quality pellets? That appears to be a flaw in your argument..

First of all - I dont know about which success you are asking (success with CI, Success with his tank, success in general)
But
1. He is dedicated to his tank - he does maintenance when appropriate and keeps things stable.
2. He has lots of experience.
3. He has had his tank chronically for years in the same place until recently.
4. Many people have the same level of success without doing what he does (either because they have no access to the things he does, etc)
5. He posts about his success others may not.
6. He has an excellent filtration method. (of various types at various times)
7. He selects fish that may be naturally more resistant to CI

Second - im not sure what argument I made was 'flawed'. But just for the sake of discussion - its well known that feeding good quality foods' it paramount in keeping fish immunity as good as it can be. Secondly - its well known that low fish density in a tank can help prevent outbreaks that are large enough to kill everything. Third if a fish with CI survives an outbreak - it is much more likely to survive the second time - no matter how far in the future it is. Lastly - Im not sure what 'most reefers do'. From what I see the answer is most overstock, stock too quickly, etc(i.e. the ones with problems).

BTW - per @PaulB 's posts he also lets his nitrates rise to over 100 - perhaps thats the reason that velvet and CI are inhibited in his tank. I have no clue -but - from a science perspective its just as valid as saying its because of 'feeding guts'. Thats the main point - no one is arguing that he is successful. Its the reasoning behind his successes not supported by science.

Jay Norris

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didnt quote what I said that 'wasnt true'. So Im not sure to what your referring. Of course organisms (fish.mammals, etc)only become immune after being exposed to he pathogen. However. Feeding a fish xxxxx. does not make it immune to yyyy. Feeding a fish parasite xxxx does not make it immune to bacteria yyyy - and vice versa. Again - there is a difference between a pathogen - and a bacteria - you seem to use the terms interchangeable. Same for 'parasite' and 'bacteria'. They are different.

Secondly - there is a difference between killing a 'bacterial pathogen' and a 'parasitic pathogen' in a freezer. Its widely assumed that CI and velvet are killed by freezing.

Third - I never suggested that you haven't added CI to your tank in 47 years. What is said is that when you added the fish with CI - there was no magic present in your tank that prevented its death - it was either going to live or die. I said that the reason that the fish in your tank surivived had more to do with their overall health than the fact that you feed food with bacteria in it vs frozen/pellets/flake, etc.

There is no reason to think that you are adding CI to your tank in fresh or frozen food.

The answer is - no I wouldn't do that - (dump the bucket) because I have no evidence that it makes a difference - besides the amphopods/etc that could be used as food. If you're not collecting your bucket of stuff from a tropical location - its unlikely that its doing anything beneficial. Depending on the size of the tank - its probably also not doing anything detrimental.
I go out collecting quite a bit in the summer, and have been known to dump a bucket or two of various wildlife directly into my display tank or fuge, and so far after many decades of aquarium care never had a problem from such dumping's. Most of the times my fish and coral seem to enjoy it, and as for fish, all my wild caught fish go directly into my display tank, straight from the ocean , no quarantining, no nothing, same with the live sand and other bottom substrate I collect for my display and fuge, and also all the saltwater I use for my system is collected by boat directly from the Gulfstream off the Florida Keys, and in all these decades I have never lost a tank of fish to Ich, or any other disease. It's not that I have never lost a fish, some of the fish I buy wont eat any type of food and die, and some have jumped out of my tank and died before I could rescue them, so I must be really lucky or doing something right. Maybe adding live rock from the Gulf of Mexico, live sand from the outer reefs, NSW from the Gulfstream all have something to do with this. My biggest thing going for me I also believe is I waited months , almost a year before I added fish to my tank, except for the ones that came with the live rock I purchased, and then slowly added a few fish every so often after that. Aquarist like Paul and others, who have been doing this for a while, have acquired the ability to select the wild life that will survive in our systems, and are feed a very high quality diet, with a well maintained environment, as stress free as possible.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all - I dont know about which success you are asking (success with CI, Success with his tank, success in general)
But
1. He is dedicated to his tank - he does maintenance when appropriate and keeps things stable.
2. He has lots of experience.
3. He has had his tank chronically for years in the same place until recently.
4. Many people have the same level of success without doing what he does (either because they have no access to the things he does, etc)
5. He posts about his success others may not.
6. He has an excellent filtration method. (of various types at various times)
7. He selects fish that may be naturally more resistant to CI

Second - im not sure what argument I made was 'flawed'. But just for the sake of discussion - its well known that feeding good quality foods' it paramount in keeping fish immunity as good as it can be. Secondly - its well known that low fish density in a tank can help prevent outbreaks that are large enough to kill everything. Third if a fish with CI survives an outbreak - it is much more likely to survive the second time - no matter how far in the future it is. Lastly - Im not sure what 'most reefers do'. From what I see the answer is most overstock, stock too quickly, etc(i.e. the ones with problems).

BTW - per @PaulB 's posts he also lets his nitrates rise to over 100 - perhaps thats the reason that velvet and CI are inhibited in his tank. I have no clue -but - from a science perspective its just as valid as saying its because of 'feeding guts'. Thats the main point - no one is arguing that he is successful. Its the reasoning behind his successes not supported by science.
I agree it’s good to debate, but I do disagree with you on so many points, 1,2,3 aren’t most reefers? 4 where are they? Paul has asked for people to come forward with long term quarantined tanks, and very few have come forward. 5 some do some don’t, but most don’t over time as the majority don’t last in the hobby long term. 6. Doesn’t everyone now? No magic in an under gravel filter and occasional use of DE filter. 7. I tend to agree (or maybe he just likes that kind of fish). To your “second” point is the food we generally buy from the LFS that good quality? It certainly feeds the fish and gives them the required nutrients, but the point I was making it differs so much from the foods Paul feeds, and is this making more of the difference than you seem to believe it does.
I agree with your “last” point.
What I don’t understand is why you don’t see the adding of his mud and his food that this isn’t a contributing factor, you seem to completely dismiss it, yet from where I’m sitting it’s a huge differentiator.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it’s good to debate, but I do disagree with you on so many points, 1,2,3 aren’t most reefers? 4 where are they? Paul has asked for people to come forward with long term quarantined tanks, and very few have come forward. 5 some do some don’t, but most don’t over time as the majority don’t last in the hobby long term. 6. Doesn’t everyone now? No magic in an under gravel filter and occasional use of DE filter. 7. I tend to agree (or maybe he just likes that kind of fish). To your “second” point is the food we generally buy from the LFS that good quality? It certainly feeds the fish and gives them the required nutrients, but the point I was making it differs so much from the foods Paul feeds, and is this making more of the difference than you seem to believe it does.
I agree with your “last” point.
What I don’t understand is why you don’t see the adding of his mud and his food that this isn’t a contributing factor, you seem to completely dismiss it, yet from where I’m sitting it’s a huge differentiator.

:) its good to disagree. Based on what I read here - No - 1, 2, 3 are not most reefers. In fact there are presentations at MACNA about 'lazy reefer syndrome' or something like that - I cant remember the exact acronym. BTW - I have no clue what 'most reefers do'. Nor does anyone else. Thats also a problem.

About 4 - there are hundreds of people who QT on this forum - including most of the moderators. Part of the problem is defining terms - does QT mean separating fish for a month before putting in tank - does it mean separating and treating, etc.

What you say about # 5 is probably true - but it also doesn't mean someone that does remain in the hobby for a long time is more successful because he feeds fish guts either. There are many reasons people take tanks down for 6 months then restart - or quit entirely. The fact that not many people have had tanks does not mean they 'failed' becuase they didnt use @PaulB s methods. Very few people keep up any hobby for 40+ years.

As to # 6 - not everyone uses Ozone. Not everyone uses UV not everyone uses diatom filters. All of which will decrease CI in the water column depending on the size amount used. Do you use these methods? I dont

I never said someone should not feed live food or put mud in their tanks. I did say that I didnt think it made any difference with regards to parasitic infection/immunity - which is the topic of this thread. Its not about Pauls success as a reefer. I also dismissed nothing Paul has said except for his rationale about fish immunity. I said Live mud shouldn't hurt nor would feeding live foods. What I did say - is that saying that these things induce immunity to specific pathogens that are not likely contained in those things is not correct.

Lastly - my proposal as to why he is successful is that CI and other protozoans are inhibited by the high nitrate he allows. (Im kidding - but its also another difference between his tank and other aquarists tanks) - so IMHO - its just as likely as feeding fish guts.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah except when you see cause and effect, over and over. A fish that is fat is not necessary well fed. Moorish idols and some angels and other fish can teach you this, again and again

AquaCave Logo Banner

Mortie31

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) its good to disagree. Based on what I read here - No - 1, 2, 3 are not most reefers. In fact there are presentations at MACNA about 'lazy reefer syndrome' or something like that - I cant remember the exact acronym. BTW - I have no clue what 'most reefers do'. Nor does anyone else. Thats also a problem.

About 4 - there are hundreds of people who QT on this forum - including most of the moderators. Part of the problem is defining terms - does QT mean separating fish for a month before putting in tank - does it mean separating and treating, etc.

What you say about # 5 is probably true - but it also doesn't mean someone that does remain in the hobby for a long time is more successful because he feeds fish guts either. There are many reasons people take tanks down for 6 months then restart - or quit entirely. The fact that not many people have had tanks does not mean they 'failed' becuase they didnt use @PaulB s methods. Very few people keep up any hobby for 40+ years.

As to # 6 - not everyone uses Ozone. Not everyone uses UV not everyone uses diatom filters. All of which will decrease CI in the water column depending on the size amount used. Do you use these methods? I dont

I never said someone should not feed live food or put mud in their tanks. I did say that I didnt think it made any difference with regards to parasitic infection/immunity - which is the topic of this thread. Its not about Pauls success as a reefer. I also dismissed nothing Paul has said except for his rationale about fish immunity. I said Live mud shouldn't hurt nor would feeding live foods. What I did say - is that saying that these things induce immunity to specific pathogens that are not likely contained in those things is not correct.

Lastly - my proposal as to why he is successful is that CI and other protozoans are inhibited by the high nitrate he allows. (Im kidding - but its also another difference between his tank and other aquarists tanks) - so IMHO - its just as likely as feeding fish guts.
I personally feel the stress free natural environonment in his tank is a big contributor (but again no proof) to the success and the fishes ability to shrug off illness/ parasites/ pathogens but unfortunately i see so many unnatural, minimalistic, sterile and overstocked tanks that seem to make up most of the posts with issues and poor fish health and a lot of these do utilise quarantine and still have problems... but as you said how many people can actually quarantine effectively and consistently and then as soon as a speck of dust enters there sterile tanks lol hell breaks loose... it just my opinion..

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why do you think Paul appears to have success that few seem able to replicate?

I think a lot of people have very good longterm success. I think this thread has made the assumption that what Paul is doing is 'success', and I am not sure if it is.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally feel the stress free natural environonment in his tank is a big contributor (but again no proof) to the success and the fishes ability to shrug off illness/ parasites/ pathogens but unfortunately i see so many unnatural, minimalistic, sterile and overstocked tanks that seem to make up most of the posts with issues and poor fish health and a lot of these do utilise quarantine and still have problems... but as you said how many people can actually quarantine effectively and consistently and then as soon as a speck of dust enters there sterile tanks lol hell breaks loose... it just my opinion..
Agreed - its possible - My only point is thanks I don't see how it relates to feeding live foods vs frozen, pellets, flake. Again - I mean if you're talking about the success with CI.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mortie31

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people have very good longterm success. I think this thread has made the assumption that what Paul is doing is 'success', and I am not sure if it is.
I think the question is what is long term success? And I actually don’t see many coming forward with tanks more than even 6 yers old let alone 30!! But then again who measures succcess and how, we all have different expectations...
most in this thread have turned it into a debate about ICK and whether or not to quarantine, but there are so many more factors/ diseases/ pathogens effecting our fish that are being excluded from this discussion..

Mortie31

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - its possible - My only point is thanks I don't see how it relates to feeding live foods vs frozen, pellets, flake. Again - I mean if you're talking about the success with CI.
Im not specifically talking about CI, but unfortunately it’s all most people on this thread talk about, I think about the total health of our tanks, all diseases, parsites, bacteria, pathogens everything and that’s why I’m so interested in what Paul and atoll and a Few others are doing, getting away from sterile SPS boxes and looking at things from a different perspective

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always have liked your articles

BRS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question is what is long term success? And I actually don’t see many coming forward with tanks more than even 6 yers old let alone 30!! But then again who measures succcess and how, we all have different expectations...
most in this thread have turned it into a debate about ICK and whether or not to quarantine, but there are so many more factors/ diseases/ pathogens effecting our fish that are being excluded from this discussion..

Except - Mortie - no offense - the title of he thread is 'the other way to run a reef tank (no quarantine)' - its supposed to be about quarantine and CI. Or am I wrong? I didnt start the thread or make the title - @PaulB did. Several times I have said why/how Paul is successful - but - I just don't think this thread correctly explains the parasitology of CI - OR how to/whether to/why to/why not to. quarantine. He has a great tank. He adds fish with ci to his tank and they live. All good. He relates his success to feeding bacteria - ie whole fish/clams/guts and adding 'stuff' from the ocean to the aquarium... I don't buy that argument - because there is no rationale for it. There is no evidence that he's feeding 'pathogens' to his fish to keep them immune, etc etc wont repeat it here. As Paul knows - this is not directed as an insult to him - or a way to diminish his reef keeping skills.

The argument that Paul has had a tank/tanks for 40+ years by itself is not an argument - unless you can somehow (you cant) show that the other people that 'quit' quit because they didn't use Pauls methods.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back