The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

BRS

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have enjoy reading your post. Not always in 100% agreement, however you always added value to the discussion. I agreed with above post (except who cares), I thought that was unnecessary and untrue.

Let’s park at:
“it's the owners responsibility to diagnose and treat it”

As it should be. AMEN

Lets discuss “treat it”. In my experiences, removing stress is the best possible treatment for many situations with fish and with people. Death certificates indicate died from heart attack, when the real hidden killer was stress. Without a doubt stress compromises immune system. To what degree is more difficult to quantify.
True. Again - I was responding to someone who was suggesting 'natural selection' was the way to go - which is kind of a 'let's just see what happens, who cares' comment. Stress can and will likely make any illness 'worse'. However, Just like in humans, you wouldn't treat strep throat with a yoga class (i.e. stress reduction), IMHO- if a fish has a diagnosis of a treatable disease, in addition to stress reduction an antibiotic/antiparasitic is in order IMHO:)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a rhetorical answer. :) But true.

I caught this beautiful Filefish just now in my tank to return back to the store as he grew a little larger than I like. He is about 5" and I rather have 5 or 6 small interesting fish than this big guy. I also have 2 more of them and when they get to big, I will return them.

I caught him with this hook which I made from a needle. I have caught a few fish like this and never hurt any of them as far as I can tell. You can see that hook is about 1/8"

View attachment 32383428View attachment 3112989

The only other way I could catch this fish would be to remove everything from the tank.

Now I will see what smaller interesting fish I can get. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I have a Clarkii I need out of my tank and was thinking of this method but worried it would hurt the fish, thank you for the post. In your experience, could you file the barb off of a small hook and have the same result? Thank you in advance

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying this method, so far I have a bunch of frozen mysis shrimp and other gut loaded food. What would you (or anyone else in this feed) suggest adding to the mix.
Live worms or shellfish, either fresh or freshly frozen.
I have a Clarkii I need out of my tank and was thinking of this method but worried it would hurt the fish, thank you for the post. In your experience, could you file the barb off of a small hook and have the same result? Thank you in advance
You will never be able to buy a hook that small. Just heat a pin and bend it.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying this method, so far I have a bunch of frozen mysis shrimp and other gut loaded food. What would you (or anyone else in this feed) suggest adding to the mix.
Go to seafood market and get live bivalves: oysters, clams and mussels.

Avast

Stigigemla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back