Small tank tangs: Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

BRS

Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

• Yes, I currently keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 232 51.1%
  • Yes, I have kept a Bristletooth tang in the past.

Votes: 64 14.1%
  • No, but I plan to keep a Bristletooth tang in the future.

Votes: 90 19.8%
  • No, I have no plans to keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small tank tangs: Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

Maybe you have heard the legend of the tang police or even felt their wrath. Maybe you have wondered “What is the smallest tank for a tang?” Instead of focusing today on tang shaming or arguing about minimums, let’s talk about some Bristletooth tangs which are some of the smaller tangs which aren’t as demanding with their tank space requirements. What is your experience with Bristletooth tangs? Do you have a preference between Kole, Tomini, Chevron, or other tangs that fit into the Ctenochaetus genus? Please tell us about your experience with small tank tangs and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

ReefChasers_Tomini.jpeg

Photo by @ReefChasers

BTW, I did meet a Tang Police officer at Reef-A-Palooza Texas this past year and she and her K9 were very gracious, but I definitely would not want to get on the bad side of either one of them!

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a whitetail bristletooth that spends most of the time lurking at the back of the tank. When he isn't toppling over symphyllia that he feels are too "restricting", that is... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have two along with many others tangs. I find them good natured despite the reputation they are given.
My Tomini is the best behaved of all

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a demon blue eye kole who harassed all new additions , two to the point of death. I figured out adding multiple fish at same time was best option. Now my OS and Sailfin are getting bigger… the kole tang is pretending like it has been “nice” the whole time. Banana the OS is mere weeks away from reworking the entire pecking order.

looking back on it I should have not put a kole tang in before other less aggressive fish, but I learned from experience , one of the better ways to learn

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a twin spot - C. binotatus and he’s my best behaved tang I’ve ever looked after. In fact that species is generally well behaved in terms of being reef safe (Yes, larger tangs can become reef safe with caution) and in terms of being peaceful.
Photography however, he hates that.
image.jpg

Most Ctenochaetus species are perfect for 4’ tanks however that’s the smallest I’d personally go for most of them, Tominis could go into a 3’x2’ with the caution of having to rehome/upgrade.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried two different Hawaiian kole tangs and they were both jerks in a 80g tank. I now keep a yellow tang who is much nicer.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini ftw. Mine is going into a planned 150g build as it grows. He gets among great with everyone. Pecks at the sandbed as well. Only fish he shows any defensiveness to is my clown, who has a pretty assertive personality when it wants to. And that's mega rare like once a month

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini I got as a juvenile notneven 2" long. I had a 35g 20x20" cube at the time, but I had already ordered a 24x36" 90g "cube" and was just waiting on it to be delivered. It stayed in the 90g for 3 years and grew to almost 5" in length. Towards the end of my time with the 90g the fish started to get more and more aggressive and territorial to any new additions, regardless of species. I knew that he had ran out of room and an upgrade was needed. I currently have a Red Sea Reefer xxl 750, it's a 6' 180g display with plenty of swimming room. The 180 has been up for a year, and I have since added two more tangs. A desjardini sail fin and a chocolate tang. They all get along, but there is definitely a pecking order. The sailfin is dominant with the tomini in second amd the chocolate tang tries its hardest to stay out of everyone's way.

Very early in the 35g

20180517_171706 (1).jpg

Shortly after a reboot halfway thru my time the 90g cube.

20210313_181200.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any recent pictures from the xxl750...

Johnjman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a square tailed bristletooth. It’s a beautiful fish but mine has an attitude. It killed a yellow tank within seconds of introducing it. It also terrorized a starry blenny until the blenny jumped out. It’s strange because now it is fine now and also lives with another yellow tang. This one is much bigger though.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back