How many tangs have you had in a tank at one time

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am quite proud of how well he's grown out. And to think I got him for like 20 bucks lol
Fwiw, I think most people here would be fine with a single yellow tang in a 75g. Op has 9x as many tangs in 40 more gallons

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish dont grow quickly. Maintain water quality and diet and its doable. This was my 135g with these fish in there 11 months. Not recommended but doable

1727034460558.png
1727034494742.png
I totally agree with this it is the same with my tank and I have 6 of those clips and have my water chemistry in the best condition

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1, a Hawaiian yellow tang in my 75g. He's been in there for over 5 years, has doubled in size and has to be at least an inch thick.
A single or even a few small (yellow, scopas, tomini, etc.) tangs in 75 or 90 is not ideal, but is certainly within reasonable bounds. I don't think anything much smaller would be a good idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I totally agree with this it is the same with my tank and I have 6 of those clips and have my water chemistry in the best condition
Good job.

CHSUB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reaction was far from "canned". I saw his photos of three huge tangs with at least 9 other fish in a 125'.

I strongly feel that the tank is too small for these fish. I also indicated that I am not sure where that actual line or grey area is, but this looks to be way past it.
Was not referring to you. I sometimes see, what seems to be automatic outrage to fish stocking levels without context. Imo, the OP is beyond what I would do, however I’m not quick to criticizes because based on some standards, I go beyond also.

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I think most people here would be fine with a single yellow tang in a 75g. Op has 9x as many tangs in 40 more gallons

Eh, general opinion seems to wax and wane on it. I've been told many times over the years that a 6ft, 125g tank is the MINIMUM for any zebrasoma tang. I also have a bluethroat trigger in there that's super healthy. I've also been told my tank is way too small for him.

These minimum tank sizes are pretty subjective, and as variable as any other public opinion. Does OP have more tangs in his 125 than I'd want? Absolutely. Can anyone say definitely his fish are stressed and "suffer"? Absolutely not.

My solution is get a monster tank this year and stock it with whatever I want lol

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not referring to you. I sometimes see, what seems to be automatic outrage to fish stocking levels without context. Imo, the OP is beyond what I would do, however I’m not quick to criticizes because based on some standards, I go beyond also.
Thanks...

Yes, there are the un yielding "by the book" people for sure... I think the issue (and your roundabout point) is that there is no hard and fast rule to go by.

In the case of the OP - I personally think it is well beyond any reasonable line, partly the count but mainly the three huge tangs in that tank, where most reasonable guidelines have a 125 as the bare minimum for a single specimen.

I would ask, who is more bent out of shape though, the "tang police" or those who are here just to insult the "tang police" or people like the guy who only posted because he saw an opportunity sling a personal insult, even if it really had nothing to do with the actual conversation.

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I know that my last post was for a joke (it’s a random picture online, not actually my tank, it’s also photoshopped allegedly?)

But this is an actual real tank on another forum.
1727035609788.jpeg

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, general opinion seems to wax and wane on it. I've been told many times over the years that a 6ft, 125g tank is the MINIMUM for any zebrasoma tang. I also have a bluethroat trigger in there that's super healthy. I've also been told my tank is way too small for him.
Sure - because there is no hard line or rule. Maybe a good bit of informed opinion and people trying to apply some common sense or logic (on either side). You will certainly find disagreement. That said, there are things that appear to be so far over the fuzzy area that there is less of a question.

These minimum tank sizes are pretty subjective, and as variable as any other public opinion. Does OP have more tangs in his 125 than I'd want? Absolutely. Can anyone say definitely his fish are stressed and "suffer"? Absolutely not.
Sure - and we can argue that any fish in a glass box is suffering or that it is stressed and every one of us is doing wrong... or wonder how you could keep fish as pets and also hook them out of a stream...

By the same token we can keep pushing the envelope to the point of a Red Sea 20 with two full size tangs and a rabbit fish and call it healthy because they are alive :zany-face:

So "subjective" is fine, but that does not mean we shouldn't have a reasonable conversation about where those lines are, even if they are fuzzy and subjective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure - because there is no hard line or rule. Maybe a good bit of informed opinion and people trying to apply some common sense or logic (on either side). You will certainly find disagreement. That said, there are things that appear to be so far over the fuzzy area that there is less of a question.

Sure - and we can argue that any fish in a glass box is suffering or that it is stressed and every one of us is doing wrong... or wonder how you could keep fish as puts and hook them out of a stream...

By the same token we can keep pushing the envelope to the point of a Red Sea 20 with two full size tangs and a rabbit fish and call it healthy because they are alive :zany-face:

So "subjective" is fine, but that does not mean we shouldn't have a reasonable conversation about where those lines are, even if they are fuzzy subjective.
also this is mostly just about the see other nice tanks with tangs that are stocked in them and like I stated in previous posts my tangs are receiving the best possible care I can give while I have them they don’t have stress related diseases and not a single water quality disease hlle and lle are water quality related and they have none of that and ick for no reason at all is also a stress related parasite which they currently have not a single symptom of and also with unknown cuts and scrapes from attacks or not being able to move they also don’t fight and all get along just well in my system so I see no need to upgrade as of yet. I by no means condone keeping fish in bad environments and love my tangs dearly and if I knew I couldn’t provide for said fish I would have either gotten rid of them or never considered them in the first place

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also this is mostly just about the see other nice tanks with tangs that are stocked in them and like I stated in previous posts my tangs are receiving the best possible care I can give while I have them they don’t have stress related diseases and not a single water quality
Hi - you have said this several times, but that was not my issue. It is my opinion that the tank is insanely too small for those large tangs regardless of your water quality or "observations" about their happiness or attention to detail.

My suggestion would be a fewer adult tangs in total for the 125 or at least rehoming the large breed tangs to a more suitably sized system. It is not my tank and I can't force you to do anything or force anybody here to agree, even if my opinion on this matter is strong.

What is really unfortunate is that certain folks show up for no other reason than to be nasty. But, that is the way forums works. While we may not agree (at all) and I may not change your mind, you have been open to conversation.

Last edited:

rc1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
210 gallon

Dr tang
Nasso tang
Sailfish
Fox face
Two bar Rabbit fish

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Blonde Naso, yellow bellied hippo, blue hippo, Gem, a purple, two yellows, white cheek, and white tailed bristle tooth in my system

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back