• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexycorals "My Miami chalice" growout..

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are still off. I'll let you all know how they do after the lights come on and go back off tonight.

This morning I woke up and one of them had the skin peeling back and I just had to reglue it back down. No big deal at all.

I'd personally like to hold onto them at least until they've begun to regrow and attached themselves to the frag plug themselves (not attached by glue). I don't personally believe that will take long, but you never know.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the frags are holding in there. Of course they look like crap...it sucks that I had to cut up that pretty coral :'(

I'll update when I start to notice improvement in the look of the frags....or a negative effect (crosses fingers).

Nutramar Foods

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the frags are holding in there. Of course they look like crap...it sucks that I had to cut up that pretty coral :'(

I'll update when I start to notice improvement in the look of the frags....or a negative effect (crosses fingers).

I know the feeling- first ever chalice I cut was the one for firereef- felt so scary cutting it up.

Not to tell you how to reef, but what I've done for chalices and had real good success with is a revive dip right after fragging (five minutes or so) then place in tank, and feed within a couple hours of fragging. Next day or two, an iodine dip (fairly strong, 10-30 minutes) and then feed a few hours after dip. Has worked great so far, just for what it's worth.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. It's just sitting there. I haven't noticed any recovery yet. It looks two of the plugs had two eyes on it so I will have to refrag them soon, but I really want to see some growth before I frag again.

I could just send these out as-is, but I really want them to show some growth before they head out to your homes. Agree?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too. I haven't fed them since fragging and I'm not sure that they can even take food yet. I'll try tomorrow though. Two of the frags look pretty decent and 3 of the frags don't look as great. It's still kinda early though and I may be panicing for nothing....I hope so.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you frag it? Sorry if I missed that part.

Razor blade hammer. That has always worked well for me and chalices (and other coral).

Drainbamage sent me some thoughts in a PM and he didn't want to post them here because he didn't want to bring down the thread. It's really not like that. If something bad was happening then I would let my partners know. Right now, we're just waiting. I'm not seeing an eye turn into a colony so I'm just freaking out :)

I'll try to feed them tonight and really baby them.. I'm sure once they feed that we'll see growth like before.

A quick edit: It's not that I don't greatly appreciate drainbamages' concern and input. I love thoughts and opinions that are intended to be helpful. I guess I'm just saying that I don't mind if you put them right here in this thread :)

AquaCave Logo Banner

DrTerro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a scary feeling waiting for it, but it's usually worth it. I have toned down on my lights sometimes after fragging. But def feeding is the best. Sometimes I can not get them to come out to fed, and that's when I get nervous. I would love to see some pics if you get a chance. Great thread and Growout. Take care

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some pics as soon I as can. My wife got a new camera phone and she says the pictures are much better on there! Maybe I'll finally be able to offer some decent pics :)

fab1971

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Speg. In my limited experience of shipping chalices, I've found that it's best to wait at least 6 weeks after fragging. It's best to let them heal, start growing and attach themselves better to the frag. The only losses I've ever had were when I shipped 10 days after fragging. Two of my nicest chalice frags detached, were jostled around during shipping and didn't survive the stress. You already noticed that after glueing, the pieces sometimes doesn't attach properly and will start peeling off the frag. Give them time to heal properly and grow a little. I'm sure the rest of the groupbuy would be more than happy to ablige. I know I would. Safety first :bigsmile: Good luck guys!

Top Shelf Aquatics

lps1212

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really good advice there fab i know it happened too me got some fresh cuts out of a guys tank near pa border by the time i drove home and acclimated them they definetlty had been stressed out i lost some gems do to that

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. It looks like they're healing a bit. The rim is coming in but it's not green at the moment? Anybody have experience with my miami and this?

Anyways, I may have to refrag two (possibly three) of the frags to split the eyes up.

I also plan on doing a large water change in the frag tank by this weekend. That should be helpful to the healing frags.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been watching this thread. Any updates?

Yes, the frags look pretty good overall. I seem to have one without any eyes and it's just sitting there. I'm curious what it'll do. Two of the frags I'll need to re-frag since they have two eyes on them. I plan on refragging tomorrow (Thursday 14th) or Friday. Trying to focus on homework tonight so that one of the next two days will be "free days".

The rim has started to come in on a couple of the frags so I figure once I refrag then it should only take a couple to three weeks before they've healed. At that point I'll announce that I can ship whenever. If you involved in the grow out want me to hold the frags longer then I can, or I can just ship them out after I announce that they're ready.

So...long story short...soon guys!...soooooon :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back