• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

jdreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool send me your address and I'll send enough out to do 4 treatments or so today. Do you know how to use it? Make sure you put aside atleast 10gallons of your original tank water but more the better for back up. When you pull it out keep the water healthy with heater and pump for emergeny. I'll usaully pull out as many shrimp, star fish, some snails, arrow crabs all that stuff and set up a temp. tank..

AquaCave Logo Banner

jdreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the mail. I sent 2 tabs!! One pill treats 300 to 400gallons so quarter pill should do it for each treatment if you do it 4 times.Left over one keep 4 back up..Let me know if theres anything else I can help with..Good Luck you have your work cut out..

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

From what I've read the melafix should draw the worms out of the frags and the interceptor will treat the whole tank. I REALLY REALLY hope this works, I'm sick of seeing corals die off...

I'm not sure the last frag I've been posting pics of will make it but I hope so!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, the acan in the last couple pics is no more.

I pulled it out and chopped it and look what I found. This is one of 3 I found in the small frag.

Attachments

• image-2511505468.jpg
    image-2511505468.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 183
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Just read alpha's entire thread. RIP acan. So are there still some that are looking bad? Do you have things in your tank that you will have to remove before the treatment? Definately a learning experience.

I have a flame shrimp and an emerald crab to get out but that's about it. I may take out the snails I can find as well.

Right now there are a couple that AREN'T looking bad, the rest just look really unhappy, none as bad as the last one. I'll try to get a pic for you guys tonight when I get home from the office or sometime this weekend, I've been trying not to depress you guys any more.

I ordered the melafix from marine depot yesterday, usually stuff get's here overnight from them but it didn't arrive today. It's cheap so I may take a ride to Vivid tomorrow to pick up a bottle so I can get my dip on. That should help them temporarily while I wait for the Interceptor to arrive.

Never in 5 years have I seen this. As soon as Kris mentioned it and referred me to his thread (which I have read previously) it clicked instantly. The whole time it never made sense that the rest of my tank was thriving while my and our acans were being lost sometimes overnight.

I'm also assuming, like Kris mentioned, that the biting/eating of the polyps was causing infection...hence the bubbling I saw when I dipped them previously.

I know it seems like this growout is never going to end, and this is a major setback but I think once I get the treatments done we should be on the right track and can get these guys back in growout and not survival mode. At some point I've also got a TON of pieces coming from another acan growout I joined before I decided to go a different direction with the tank so I'll be able to compensate for the pieces lost in this one.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back