• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

Nutramar Foods

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that what you figured out was causing the issues? That is crazy! Kent carbon... off the list of carbons! I am not, I'm using some off brand right now until that runs out. Overall tank is doing well. My skimmer was acting up and got that working again, so battling a bit of HA, but parameters have been good and everything looks good. Got my first acan and micro this past week! They are pretty cool!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% sure it was the carbon since I don't have any way to really prove it but the time the tank started going downhill was right around the time I started using the Kent. Never would I think to STOP running carbon when there's an issue.

Glad to hear everything is going well on your end! I hope the micros work out for ya, I've never had any luck with them personally.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just happen to be sitting on a bucket in front of the tank and what do I see? A pretty big (3"+) bristle worm come out from under one of the acans from between the frag and the plug and pull of a piece of a polyp right into his little hole! what the heck?! What am I supposed to do about this? I've never seen such a thing!

Corals.com

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can set up a trap... sounds like a beast of a bristle worm. Sounds like he does need to be removed. I think there are threads on worm traps. i will try to find one and post. I need to trap out a crab myself, I didn't see him when I was curing my live rock and found him this week. I can't get a good look at him, he is hairy like a gorilla, but red. So I have no idea what he is. Good luck.

Any way to remount on another plug ... that maybe doesn't have a bristle worm in it. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the piece i was taking about the bristle worm pulling a piece off. Any ideas on how to make this one happy again? Think it needs a dip of some sort? Iodine? Coral rx? Furan?

Attachments

• image-3001019810.jpg
    image-3001019810.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 171

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the pic, is there any area on the coral that looks like it is sick or dying? Or did it look like the worm took healthy flesh? Do you think the worm lives in the coral?

Wasn't there a worm living in an acan in the other go you are in a couple months ago? I think he lost that acan and found it after he cut it up to see what happened. Might have been a different kind of worm.

I got so lucky last night. I have been spying a gorilla crab for a couple weeks. I missed it when curing the rock and it has been getting pretty big. Last night I was watching the tank and he settled onto my CAR and started pinching it!!! I totally pulled a karate kid and was able to grab it w my forceps. Wish I took a pic, but put him right into the garbage disposal. :)

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was hard to tell, this piece in particular looks pretty receded and I don't know if it just took a hit or if it's the worm itself that's causing the issue. It looks like it's living between the bottom of the frag itself and the frag plug somehow.

I did see the thread you're talking about but I haven't been in any other acan group buys that had worm issues.

The gorilla's can be a pain, glad you got it!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. I need your help. Just got home and there are more piece looking like ****. Just when things were looking up...

I know it's not a good pic but you can see the polyps all receded on these guys around the edges.

I'm testing everything now but I suspect everything will be spot on since I've been testing every other day at this point.

Attachments

• image-2712690964.jpg
    image-2712690964.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 157
Top Shelf Aquatics

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got nuthin. Did everything test spot on? I'm assuming so. The only thing I can think, which is totally annecdotal is the led light don't play nice w acans. But that doesn't really explain how they do well for a while and then take a bad turn.

Did u hear back from alpha corals? You could also try Ian as they were the original vendor and do a lot of business in acans.

Thank you for keeping us well informed.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, everything tested fine. No nitrates, nitrites, ammonia...alk, calc, mag and ph are all in check.

Not sure about the LED's...I double checked the PAR again yesterday as well and they're all in a spot under 80.

No word from Kris, I'll give Ian a try as well!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, got a response from Kris. Does anyone have any interceptor they could share? I just ordered the melafix.

AlphaCorals said:
luvmyacans said:
Hey Kris,

Hope all is well. I'm reaching out today because I'm having some major, major issues with all of my acans.

Since late December/early January I have lost over 30 acan frags and colonies while the rest of my tank has continued to thrive. Some I have lost literally overnight and others recede and die within a couple days. I've been testing every 2-3 days since the issue started to occur and I haven't had any major swings in parameters. I've even been testing nitrates and ammonia is monitored by the Seneye reef meter I have.

I've tried just about every dip I can think of (coral rx, lugols, revive, furan-2), giving them time between and none of them seem to be of any help.

The only thing I have noticed is a significant amount of bristle worms coming out from between some frags and plugs when feeding the tank, some of them quite large. I did see one literally pull one of the withered heads off an acan but I figured that was because the scan was already a goner as I've been told they won't eat healthy corals.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm at a complete loss that this point and have lost a good amount of pieces from the group buy I'm doing. If you need any more info let me know.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks,
Justin

Justin,

Its been a major long day for me and just checking messages and wanted to get back to you quick. It def sounds like worms. Try an interceptor dose and record strengths if you do. Otherwise keep feeding the worms with food (non acan flesh). I just got in some peppermint and cleaner shrimps, bumblebee snails and 6 line wrasse all for worms. Try and frag some of your acans and look for worms. Frag them all up and remove all the worms. Use tweezers a good eye and lots of patience. Melafix will get the worms out let the acan frags sit in there for as long as it takes til they come out, up to 20min. I'll be around feel free to hit me up again.

Kris

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back