• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, good news. I appreciate the updates unlike that other growout I just read about. Lol. I'm sure it's not funny to you or the other guys in it so I'm sorry for chuckling.

Well, I wouldn't consider this a "successful" growout at this point but I'm always going to keep you guys updated.

Trust me, the growouts I'm in now will definitely be the last unless someone decides to do an SPS growout and it's a well known reefer. But there's no way I'm going to host one again, way too stressful, especially when things go bad. If you haven't had tank issues yet, I hope you never do. It's a pretty helpless feeling especially when you can't figure out what the issue is and you have other peoples $ in your hands...

CLICK TO VIEW

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping tanks since the 70's so I've had my share of mishaps. I appreciate you doing this. We should all discuss in a few months about splitting up the stuff. Even if we only get half it may be worth it.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I came home to another piece looking like crap.

I'm at a loss guys...I haven't received the interceptor yet but I have no idea what to do. Ian suggested my po4 may be too low since i'm reading 0.01-0.02 normally on my Hannah but I've never had issues with keeping it too low.

I have no clue what to do at this point. If anyone wants to give a try at them I'd be more than happy to send them but it's up to you guys if anyone wants to take in pieces that are having undiagnosed issues...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1331945150.116422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1331945150.116422.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 222

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry man. I know it has to be stressful. I just really appreciate that you are being up front and honest. It is really stand up. I just wish I could offer better insight as far as resolving issues. It does seem like the most likely culprit is worms as you found them in the piece we most recently lost. Since we haven't treated for that there is no reason it should be resolved, so I am not sure if we should look at something else right now, but I don't think raising PO4 a little could do much harm either.

Seems like always the most important piece of mail gets lost. ;) Luv, I know you have a dog, do you have a regular vet? If so they will likely prescribe some Interceptor for you. If you don't have a regular vet you can always try going to the vet you most recently went to and seeing if they will help you out. I think that would be the quickest way to get it into your hands. If not, I have been going to my vet for several years and I'm sure he will hook me up and I can send out to you. Let me know and I can pick it up and get it out on Monday. That way JDreef doesn't have deplete his stash.

As far as the fragging goes... it seemed like that great big nasty thread about worms did suggest doing that. I think they were even dissecting the piece to explore for worms. Maybe go ahead and try to get 2 or 3 pieces out so there are back ups if a piece is lost and if they make it then the fragging process is already started. I do think I remember them saying that it wasn't really helpful to wait.

Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. I've lost all hope these are ever going to turn around. Another frag I cut is withering away and I can see more skeleton on these pieces than I should. We've still got a good 8+ pieces but they look bad and I don't see any real positive change. Time to make a decision on what we want to do before I lose my mind.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1333313745.472117.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1333313745.472117.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 196
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1333313755.664775.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1333313755.664775.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 213
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1333313763.895473.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1333313763.895473.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 196

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think are our options?:
1) Keep trying in luvmyacans tank, 2) Someone else try growing, or 3) Split them out. Is this what we are looking at? Is it worth splitting out at this point?

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The catch 22 is that it sounds like they should be moved. But shipping will likely kill them.

Do u have a small hospital tank that would be an option and not too much trouble?

I've got a small tank I could set up... I suppose anything's worth a shot at this point.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back