• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took so long for the pics guys.

All in all nothing looking better and they're slowly fading. Some feed, some don't. I've been doing a dip in furan each day but I'm not seeing them look much better.

Good one and one that's almost gone
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1335574332.254245.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1335574360.213024.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1335574369.811116.jpg

AS

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Justin,

Thanks so much for the diligent communication. It is really appreciated. The good one in the first pic looks like the orange peppermint? I think you mentioned a few posts ago that there was good news and that there was 3-4 acans that were doing well and the SC Vampire favia. Is that still correct? Do you know if any of the good ones happen to be the Uber Rainbow? :bigsmile:

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've said before, I don't know what the names of the acans are, orange peppermint or not there's one of the original acans from the growout left.

What you see in the pictures are literally the last of all of the acans in my tank and they're all included now.

Ok. So just to be clear the orange peppermint is left of the original acans, and then you were putting 2 or 3 from your own collection? Thanks

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID aside... is the one left and the ones you are kicking in (thanks) still doing well. It is really hard to tell from those pics. Are they growing at all? Could you please update on that and if they are growing what you think time frame is for distribution. Are they basically starting from scratch? It'd be great to get a head count. Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Hopefully they can hold on until... I think it was Beerman was going to be throug there. I'm also going to be in LA really quick connecting international flights with a 4 hr layover on the 17th of June as a plan C. I don't have much, 2 acans in my tank right now for 2 months. One has 7 new babies and the other 3.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, bummed. I actually meant to post yesterday to thank for the update, but had a rare hangover and forgot. ;) Dont worry, I wasn't drinking my troubles away.

Don't really know what to suggest or add. You still losing acans from your personal collection as well? I know LED's can give acans trouble, but I mainly just hear that it makes them morph, not that they melt. Do you have any idea what caused it? I

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not a single piece left in my personal collection....the only acan I have in an enchinata which looks great.

I thought it may be the LED's myself but I've always kept a close eye on the PAR levels and they've always been under 120 or so which is reasonable for acans. I wish I had an answer, my tank looks so empty as I've been afraid to add anything...

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those are the last 2 acans in your tank? I know you had started to add more z&ps, how are those doing? Is it just related to the acans? What do you think you will do to get it figured out? Do you think you have bad rock or subrate leaching something into the water? You got to get it figured out before your next acan delivery. :)

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've still got the 2 acans (purple/green and red/blue) plus the favia...but those are the last 2 acans in my tank. Whether or not those will last, I don't know...

The issue is only affecting the acans in the tank...zoas, plays, mini-nems, and even the 3 SPS frags I have are all doing fine and look great. What I'm going to do...I have no idea...I'm trying to find a company that can do some professional lab grade testing for me. If all else fails, I hate to say it, but I'll be emptying the tank, tossing the rock/stand and starting 100% from scratch. Pretty discouraging after 5 or so years in the hobby never having an issue like this. I'm trying to stay positive and I really appreciate your guys understanding...not sure what I could have done differently or what I've missed...

AquaCave Logo Banner

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i would be afraid to even take those acans from you at his point because they could possibly infect my stuff. I think the best we can hope for is a turnaround in a few months. I appreciate your updates.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received this last night from Brett at Cherry Corals...still trying to find some info on this Kepple Bay issue.

Acro76 said:
Sorry to hear that, but if you only have a few left, I'd either toss them or put them in a hospital tank. It can also be slowed down with freshwater dips and UV on your system. But the penicillin is much less stressful on the acans.

This plague came in from a few collectors in Kepple Bay, which then spread to wholesalers in the US.

All the more reason to quarantine all new corals for 2 weeks min. before putting in your main display. We are setting up a 300 gallon QT system at the shop.

luvmyacans said:
Acro76 said:
FYI... Penicillin in a hospital tank has worked wonders. One tablet per 50 gallons (I'll find out the tablet size, I forget exactly). Treat then do a 50-75 water change and treat again. Do it for 3 consecutive days.

Once the infection is clear you may want to let your system go acan free for a few weeks or month to let any virulent bacteria die.

You can also dip, but the hospital tank works faster.

Brett

Thanks Brett, I'll do some digging to see what I can find as well.

At this point I've only got a couple pieces left and they're on their last leg, basically about to fall off the skeleton. I don't think theirs any chance any of them can make it.

I don't plan on adding any new pieces for at least a month but I want to be sure everything's back to normal before our acan group buy with 20+ pieces we got from you guys ends. That's my goal at this point.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to give qt a try? At this point I don't know if they would be worth shipping if they did pull through, but it would be interesting to know if it helps and cool to save them. If you find out any more about the kepple bay issue, please post.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to give qt a try? At this point I don't know if they would be worth shipping if they did pull through, but it would be interesting to know if it helps and cool to save them. If you find out any more about the kepple bay issue, please post.

No, there's not a chance in hell they're going to make it at this point...

If I find out more I'll definitely post.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back