• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. I am not so sure about shipping now. How big are the healthy pieces? Are they big enough to be fragged and shipped out? Any idea what the 5 healthy pieces are?

What are thoughts on shipping the healthly pieces?

Luv, what are your thoughts on what was going on? Do you think you have it figured out? What would your preference be? Thank you very much for being up front with everything that is going on. Much appreciated.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. I am not so sure about shipping now. How big are the healthy pieces? Are they big enough to be fragged and shipped out? Any idea what the 5 healthy pieces are?

What are thoughts on shipping the healthly pieces?

Luv, what are your thoughts on what was going on? Do you think you have it figured out? What would your preference be? Thank you very much for being up front with everything that is going on. Much appreciated.

I have no idea which ones they are, as I've said in the past they all changed quite a bit and look very different than when originally received. That's what you get with acans! They few that didn't take a hit definitely have at least 4 heads on them.

I honestly have no idea what was/is going on with the tank. I thought the initial furan dip helped as it bubbled as expected when there's an infection but I'm still losing pieces at this point so I'd say I don't have it figured out.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as shipping in the winter, it can be done, but it needs to be planned for. I live in Vail and have received 3 winter shipments. Two were 100% survival and were shipped with mild winter temps. I'd say low of 25. One was almost 100% loss. 10 out of 11 frags didn't make it. It was shipped on a day where the low was -14. So if we do decide to ship, we need to make sure that shipping takes place during a mild weather pattern.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, so I dug into what I've got left and tossed some pieces into the growout. Everything on the rack plus the green favia and purple/green scan down on the sand is now what we're working with. I left the boo boo pieces around the edges so you can see what's going on with them. I really hope all the damage has been done or I'm gonna lose my mind, I hate seeing pieces whither away to nothing.

Let me know what you guys think, if you want me to keep them until it gets warmer out that's totally fine but I'll leave it to you guys to decide how to proceed.

photo.jpg

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to throw in anything of your personal collection as far as I'm concerned. Where I'm at the lows are in the mid 40's so I'll leave that decision to the people that have experience with cold weather shipping. I call in sick to work when it's below 60 because it's too cold outside for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beerman-are you suggesting that you would be able to take them? Fair Oaks and LA are pretty close, so no need to even ship. ;)

Lol. California is a big state. :) I did tell him though if we didn't work this out by early summer I can grab them. I take my kids out there every summer to go to Disneyland.

jdreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cool with what ever you guys decide..As long as they are still healing its cool but if they are still not doing well I'd vote on moving them somewhere sooner then later.. As for shipping it's all good if heat packs are included and of coarse packed correctly. I received all types of corals all times of the year.. But I agree if below zero no way in shipping but if its over 20 30 degrees I know we'll be ok..

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing major to report guys...nothing looking worse but I wouldn't say the tank in general is looking all that great. Pretty disappointing to see pieces withering away to nothing, I've never had anything like this happen in the 5 or so years I've had a tank...

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I hate to say it but I think we should move the pieces to another tank if possible.

All of the pieces in the last pic all still look the same but I'm still losing pieces in the tank and my zoas/palys are even not looking great. The weird thing is, the few sticks I do have look perfectly fine with great polyp extension.

I just don't want to take any more chances with your guys investment...I don't know what I'm going to do with the tank at this point, I've lost so many pieces I may literally start from scratch. I've received so many suggestions and great feedback from people on the site I just don't know what else I can do...

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard anything.

Things are looking alright, the two pieces where you could see the large amounts of white skeleton are the only pieces worrying me at this point since they took such a hit.

I'm going to be setting up a new system as well so if the move doesn't happen soon I'll just transfer over to that tank. The shallow depth of this tank is starting to drive me nuts on top of all of the issues I've been having lately and I think it's time for a fresh start. On top of that, there's the addiction...

Last edited:
Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back