• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sexy Corals Favia / Reef Odyssey Acan Blow-Out Grow-Out 2011!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic from today. You can see in the middle left not on the rack the purple/green acan that has literally disintegrated. The other two on the left are the ones I'm primarily concerned with but you can see skeleton in a few of them. It's just strange to me that some are fluffy and happy and some look terrible, I can't figure it out. I haven't changed ANYTHING and with the params above nothing looks off to me. Ugh this is frustrating. Even the favia on the bottom right of the rack that was growing like mad receded a bit.

Acan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man! I wish I had some suggestions, but I got nothing. I appreciate you keeping us in the loop.

Dang is right! I'm just at a loss here, pretty much everything else in the tank is looking fine which just doesn't make any sense to me. Glad to keep you guys updated, it's the least I can do...

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you move the one's that are having problems to the same location? All the rest look fine so I was wondering if it was a placement issue.

They were all together in the same spot on the sand, moved them to the rack off to the side to get less flow. Tested the PAR and it's very close in both locations (I love the Seneye) so there won't be any change but flow.

Nutramar Foods

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good so i was thinking if they were in the same spot it's either a light or a flow issue due to placement. Just a thought. Anyway, looks as if you made adjustments. Thanks for everything by the way. Not meaning to sound critical. :)

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, I don't really have anything new to report. Everything looks exactly the same as in the last picture I took. No better, no worse.

I'm pretty much at a loss as to what to do at this point. I've lost 6-8 of my own acans and favias but others look perfectly fine, it doesn't make any sense to me. I've tested and tested and tested and I don't see anything wrong with the water. I've done a few water changes but I'm reluctant to do any more as to not screw things up even worse. Anyone else have any suggestions? Should I just proceed as is? Do we want to transfer them to another tank so things don't get any worse? I don't want to make any decisions without involving you guys...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us which ones they are? It is hard to tell from the pic. Are they the freebies ;). Have the ones that are not looking great lost any heads or just receding?

Is the purple green one totally gone now? I know you had said it was down to one head.

It really hasn't been that long. Maybe keep an eye on their progress for another week. Have you dipped them in anything?

It's rough this happened when we were so close to chopping em up!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us which ones they are? It is hard to tell from the pic. Are they the freebies ;). Have the ones that are not looking great lost any heads or just receding?

Is the purple green one totally gone now? I know you had said it was down to one head.

It really hasn't been that long. Maybe keep an eye on their progress for another week. Have you dipped them in anything?

It's rough this happened when we were so close to chopping em up!

I honestly don't know the names of any of them any more, they've all changed colors quite a bit so it's really hard to match them with the originals. Sorry I didn't keep up with the names, but I really don't keep track of them with my pieces. The purple/green one is pretty much gone, in the last picture it's the one on the left with the really white skeleton. The other two on the left side of the rack are the other two that I'm most concerned about, they've receded quite a bit as you can see in the picture and looking at them now I think a couple heads have been lost but it's hard to tell if they're just really receded or totally gone.

I have dipped them in coral rx and just received some advice to give them a dip in furan-2 as well just in case they're infected which is always a possibility. I'm putting in an order with marine depot tonight anyways so I figure I'll give that a try as well and see if it helps.

I agree the timing couldn't be worse on this. I'm at a loss for words guys, I feel really bad and am doing everything I possibly can...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan should be here tomorrow... Once I dip them it should be pretty obvious as to whether or not infection was the issue. barbianj sent me some info about the furan and what it looks like when an infection is present so we shall see.

If infection isn't the problem I'm going to send my water to one of those fancy testing facilities to see if there's anything going on there I can't test for.

After that, well, I'd have to assume that lighting is the issue. I'm pretty disappointed in the colors I'm getting out of the SOL Blue fixtures on a lot of my pieces so a change may be in order there.

Of course will keep you guys in the loop and ask your opinions on any possible changes. We'll figure this one out!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem like infection was the issue. I dipped all of the group buy pieces in the Furan and then Coral Rx and in the Furan the pieces that are receding showed the white band of infection as described by the member who suggested using it. Hopefully this did the trick, I suppose we'll see in a couple days!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, just took a look at everything in the tank and here's where we stand at this point. The acans and other pieces that were dipped yesterday are looking alright today, they don't appear to be receding at all and they all took a pellet or two each today. I didn't realize so many of the favias were doing bad and dipped a few of them today because they're not looking too good, I've indicated those below.

To make up for the pieces that were lost I'll dig into my personal stuff and let you guys know what I come up with.

SC Blue Angel Favia - Lost
Tyree Mias Pot of Gold Favia
SC Angel Eye Favia - Lost
Tyree Mayan Sun Favia - Lost

SC Dark Vampire Favia
SC Girly Favia - Lost
SC Purple War Coral - Bad Shape
SC Watermelon Favia - Bad Shape
Tyree War & Peace Favia - Bad Shape
Acan Frag #1 (partial group)
Burnt Rainbow Acan
Afterburner Acan
Orange Peppermint Acan
Uber Rainbow Acan
Purple Rim Rainbow Acan - Lost
Extra Acan #1
Extra Acan #2
Extra Acan #3

BRS
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took around the tank last night and I don't have too many acans worth tossing in for you guys, I've got two I'm going to add but I want to make sure you guys get an awesome pack. I'm going to do some searching and find a pack from someone that I can buy to add to the group here. I know it's quite a setback but I want to make sure everyone gets what they paid for. I'm not going to jump on anything because I want to ensure there's nothing still going on with the tank but of course I'll keep you guys updated.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back